Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cf options, thoughts? pics?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cf options, thoughts? pics?

im thinking about going and putting some cf pieces on the car. just not sure how much to do. i know the hood is going to be cf, but the trunk and or roof and or doors im not sure. thoughts? am i crazy for wanting cf doors?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:36 AM

whatever you do dont buy cheap knockoff stuff. i saw a guys supra with a cheap cf hood and one side would hang way down when it was on the hanger.
as far as the hood on an evo you wont get a lighter hood than oem unless you get something dry $carbon. so for wet carbon get a voltex. at least its an aerodynamic upgrade.
carbon doors weigh close to the same (unless dry carbon) as factory doors. just gut the factory doors and do the rs window cranks to save weight. I would not want to crash with carbon doors
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I think the doors and fenders would be too much. I did the hood, trunk, and lip. Im also getting the jdm bumper with the voltex rear diffuser, With the bottomline carbon skirts.

This is how it looks now

Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:03 AM

damn that cf trunk is sexy. yeah i have an RS, but want to see about shaving more weight off. the hood felt light as a feather off the bat. the roof wouldnt be enough for the amount of money involved. the trunk, however, is definitely going the cf route.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Saving weight on the evo goes far beyond carbon replacement parts.Most of the parts we swap for cf are simply for appearance purposes.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eli72584
whatever you do dont buy cheap knockoff stuff. i saw a guys supra with a cheap cf hood and one side would hang way down when it was on the hanger.
as far as the hood on an evo you wont get a lighter hood than oem unless you get something dry $carbon. so for wet carbon get a voltex. at least its an aerodynamic upgrade.
carbon doors weigh close to the same (unless dry carbon) as factory doors. just gut the factory doors and do the rs window cranks to save weight. I would not want to crash with carbon doors
Have you ever weighed aftermarket cf hoods and doors? Where I agree that most cf hoods are heavier, there are several that are not dry carbon that still are lighter than stock. As for the doors, Im not sure where you got that information because its not true. You cant really think steel weights the same as carbon...
Old Oct 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I would paint the hood if you're going for the look. The trunk is great as is the roof if you're going that route. A lot of the CF parts weigh more.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:01 PM

had a feeling not alot of weight would be lifted, but i love the hood and trunk look. im thinking of just painting the hood. the real weight loss is when i gut the interior.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

I got CF SE lip, CF trunk, CF GT3 mirrors, i think it will look pretty good once its all put together
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:29 PM

The trunk looks amazing.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:19 AM

i agree. cf trunks look beautiful. think thats a christmas present to myself