Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

if you could buy an Evo over again would you do it differently?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have bought a IX instead of an VIII maybe a RS or an SE but at least a IX GSR.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 09:45 AM

I would've liked to have saved some money for a better downpayment and also got a WW instead of a AS, but I had no ride at the time since I totalled my GSX
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a 2005 VIII and I have no regrets.

It would have been just "that much sweeter" if I could have found a 2006 IX for the same price. Even sweeter still if it had fewer miles than the one I bought -- but for what I paid, that's probably not likely.

But still, I'm happy and I can't complain. The Evo is a great car and I enjoy driving it every day.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Bought mine used. No regrets, just wish i had taken a look at it a little closer before i bought it. take your time examining the car cuz sometimes you'll miss something and have to end up fixing what someone else did before you.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I bought a GG IX MR, exactly what I have wanted. I bought it unseen/undriven from Iraq. Had 3000 miles on it and bone stock. And I didn't pay a crazy price for it either (under 30k).

What I would do different however, is not with my car. I would have NOT bought my wife her car. She talked me into getting another car for her and having 2 loans in my name. Yea, stupid idea. I would have just waited and either bought a bike when I got back from Iraq or saved it until now so I could by a X GSR.

Otherwise, I'm happy with my Evo, but I would like to have 2 in the driveway instead of an Evo and a Jetta.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:35 PM

I wouldnt change anything on the way i bought my car i got it with 9 miles on the car and i PDI the car and put the 1st gas in it, i got it for $23000 and am so very happy with it until i wrecked it which is very sad but there very worth it and i got an MR...if you get an MR expect ot have ato replace the synchros in 2nd or 3rd gear if it hasent already been done and it seem they cant hold nowhere near as much power as the 5spds so it up to you and what you want and are shooting for...
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

I got my IX SE by pure luck last month on here. $24,900 for a IX SE w/ 6k on it. I wanted white or black, but this one was GG and it was too good of a deal to pass up, so that's what I got. I don't regret it at all because its a nearly new car, I just sometimes wish I had white. But having an SE makes up for it.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:50 PM

I'm loving the replies to this thread. In a sense 'heartwarming' stories about peoples evo beginnings. I knew I wanted a new car but I'v loved my Lancer so much I wasn't sure I was willing to part from it. Now from the sound, an evo is undoubtedly the direction I am wanting. A lancer with sky-high potential.... I get to have my cake and tune the hell out of it too
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jholroyd99
Whats does the SE evo have that the gsr and other models don't?
Forged BBS Wheels
HIDS
Aluminum Roof
Front Lip (which sucks IMHO, it just scrapes - lol)
Red Stitching on the Seats (this is meh).

basically, all the good stuff from the MR except it has the stronger five speed Oh yeah, better gas mileage on the 5 speed too.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Lol, my dyno strikes again. Thunder is right, with a tune I would have had better numbers (maybe another 10 HP) and combined with a turbo it would have made for a very interesting car (high compression pistons would have made it respond better to a turbo). However, the amount of money dumped into the engine would have been huge, not far off 10000$ when everything was said and done (price of parts, install, tuning). Reliability would be an issue and obviously it still wouldn't have the performance of a car like an SRT-4, Cobalt SS or MS3. Ultimately only you can decide if it's the time to change cars. I don't regret my decision at all, I absolutely love my WRX.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:09 PM

different tactics

for one, i would have demanded more for my trade. while i was dealing, two customers were in the lot looking at my car with intent to buy. had i sold it privately, i would have covered my pay off and eliminated my negative equity. i would also have acted like i didn't care and left after the second time the salesman had to "check with the sales manager" to get approval. next time, i go in with a pre-approved check and a whole lot of attitude!

even with all of this drama i am still elated every time i drive my X.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpunEvoIX
i wouldnt blow 2 motors or spend so much money on it!!!!
wait, who are you, i live in 305
Old Oct 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Although I plan on keeping my Evo forever (it is a great all around platform to start with and mine is paid off), I would not buy an Evo if I could do it all over again, as my primary interest was drag racing.

Although alot of people have success drag racing it, it is not the car's primary intention. You have to spend a lot of money to beef up the drive train and, unless you have Shep stage 3 transfer case and rebuilt trans, you still have to always launch with car with care. If drag racing is most important, I would stick with a rear wheel drive domestic. IF you want a fast daily driver that is an all around performer, consider the Evo.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

It would be a Wicked White MR IX.....SE package......eventhough I love the color I have...White is just the best color for the EVOs especially with some Gold wheels!!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmuscle
It would be a Wicked White MR IX.....SE package......eventhough I love the color I have...White is just the best color for the EVOs especially with some Gold wheels!!
no se for white sorry