Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need an honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere on DCEVO that having a "real" DSM first is a good choice... maybe buying an older AWD GSX and learning how to fix/mod that would be a "cheap" alternative before shelling out for a 20-25K car... also at 16 your insurance will be through the roof. My first car was a 9 year old integra with 180,000 miles for 3K. Insurance is relative to car value as well... thus an older DSM that you could mod would gain you respect as well...
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:37 PM

seriously if you are 16 don't get an EVO unless your parents are rich and will buy it for you and cover the maintenance.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Get a cheap car, save up money, and get more experience behind the wheel
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

I got my evo just after I turned 18 and the insurance will kill you trust me, like someone else said unless your parents are rich then get somethin else. Its going to cost you more than you would want to afford not to mention if you aren't an experienced driver you don't need an evo. Try like an 05,06 Ralliart

Last edited by gixxer6; Oct 14, 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

wow dude good luck finding someone who will give you their car with you making payments for it. I will do this for you but I keep the car until you have it paid off :P
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

I just did a fake insurance quote from progressive for a 16 yr old male with no tickets basic full coverage =$1,000 per month+actual car payment 300-600per month =1300-1600/month= No Evo.. simple math
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude im 19 and own an evo and it sucks!!! jk its actually awesome haha. But i kinda wish i would have saved up a little more because it sucks having such a big debt and still being in college. ah but the feeling of the evo is worth it.

but dude your 16 your not even out of high school yet. Instead of spending money on a car go spend that money and have fun. I wish i had extra money for partying and going out but most of my money goes to the evo
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:41 PM

Yea.. it would suck to crash my dream car at such a young age i mean where do i go from an Evo thats all i ever wanted Yea i don't think my parents would be down to pay my insurance anymore with costs like that definetly should downgrade thank you all for your assistance in my choice im still thinking Lancer but not Evo i have always wanted a nice 4 door car and that GTS looks pretty fine to me if its not too expensive which it probably will be when i find the one i want Thank you guys for the suggestions and advice and for some of the older people
Young Person + Fast Car doesn't always equal death or speeding tickets im sure there are some wise kids out there who take it to the track don't judge people by their age on driving abilities if you don't know them personally and the ladys have called me Big N Tasty since jr high since i have been like 6 foot + since then and the name stuck to me =) Big N Tasty also for other reasons... but thats for another forum.....
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:44 PM

yea i think you should wait till you finish high school first....I'm almost 16 (very soon) and before i turn 16 I'm gonna see if i get a job and hopefully save up a little bit more than half of what the EVO would cost and an extra 2k for security on the car, then get the car when I'm 18 as a graduation/birthday gift.
good luck, but you seriously should wait a while
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

cute haha
Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

my honest opinion if u can get it. get it. but if your not into cars and just want it cua your friends talk about it or fast and the furious had it. dont by it. the cars are animals stock and ive seen alota ppl get hurt becuast they dont relize the potential. save and get something mellow at first or. save cash, co-signer = loan. but please please learn about the car first and relize what it is. dont bye it just for a pshhhuuu sound when u shift
Old Oct 15, 2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Honesty -- Instead of an A+, I suggest buying the CCNA study guide and get into Cisco Networking.. then get the professional level cert then the expert level cert. A good Cisco expert can make 100K+. That or get a DBA (database admin) cert. or learn to code. Just my advice.
Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Exactly. Almost everyone I know has crashed their first car / bike, etc within a year of starting driving.
well damn, Evo Someday pretty much summed up BOTH points I was going to make. I got my N+ and Cisco certifications through a program in highschool and it has payed off time after time in university. and now i have a real job! (horrah no more school for a while) but yeah A+ looks good on a resume, but they are a dime a dozen. Networking expertise is invaluable to any company.

and 2nd, my rule of thumb is: when buying your first car, count on the fact that it will get wrecked. If it doesn't congrats, but no one ever plans to have a collision.....

Last edited by BluezHarpKing; Oct 15, 2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

get the new rally awd turbo lancer
Old Oct 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigNTasty
Well im new to the forum and i am looking to buy an Evo in the near future but the thing is I am 16 i am saving up every cent i earn to put into the purchase of the evo i'm looking for a nice Evo 7-9 at about a 20k-25k price range. The question is how many private sellers do you think would actually sell their car in a form of payments to a 16 year old and let alone that how many private sellers want payments? I see sellers in my area that want straight cash up front which is killer. So im asking is my goal realistic? Should i go for another car i was thinking Cobalt SS perhaps a bit cheaper and also seems like a real fun drive which is what im looking for.
BTW parents will help with the funds about 5k in.
yea sure take mine you can pay me in snack packs and number 2 pencils
Old Oct 15, 2008, 04:25 PM

16?? There will be other cars out there that will interest you in a few years.. Better start saving ALL your funds.

Quick Reply: I need an honest opinion