Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need an honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need an honest opinion

Well im new to the forum and i am looking to buy an Evo in the near future but the thing is I am 16 i am saving up every cent i earn to put into the purchase of the evo i'm looking for a nice Evo 7-9 at about a 20k-25k price range. The question is how many private sellers do you think would actually sell their car in a form of payments to a 16 year old and let alone that how many private sellers want payments? I see sellers in my area that want straight cash up front which is killer. So im asking is my goal realistic? Should i go for another car i was thinking Cobalt SS perhaps a bit cheaper and also seems like a real fun drive which is what im looking for.
BTW parents will help with the funds about 5k in.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only real way to get an evo is to buy it outright with cash or get a loan. No one is going to allow car payments because if something happens (eg accident or otherwise) The car would more than likely still be in their name because no one will sign over a car for free. Also the EVO is a lot of car. You may want to start with something a little more mellow.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

You're 16, your screen name is BigNTasty. Do you really want honest opinion.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vicksen
You never know. He may just love the Big and Tasty Burger from McDonalds.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

You're too young haha. You don't even know how it works. Private sellers will not finance you, the way it works is you would get a car loan from where-ever and THEY finance you. Believe me, I make 1,200 a month(After taxes) and cannot afford an Evo, so you would DEFIANTLY not be able to afford the Evo PLUS insurance ESPECIALLY because you're 16. Not only that but maintenance. At your age I thought the same, i'm barely 20 and I got it in my head that now is not the time for an Evo
Evolving Member

down payment+ co-signer= loan
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vicksen

I agree with JDMct9mr
Go with something alil less powerful.. 16 is alil young.. you still have some stupid years in you.. unless you like speeding tickets and high insurance id get somthin else!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^yeah don't be like him. start off with something with less car then enjoy the evo in the future.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

It's difficult if not impossible to get a private seller to agree to payments. Most of them are selling their car for a reason and need the money for something else so they want cash in hand or a check from a bank for the total amount.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
^yeah don't be like him. start off with something with less car then enjoy the evo in the future.
HAHAHHA yea i started off with a fast car.. gsx eclipse it only got faster.. and my insurance is thru the roof now becuase of my stupid years.. try 4500 every six months.. and im 23.. all tickets!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:05 PM

Alright well thanks for the opinions i did ask for something honest and i got what i asked for thanks but i still think i have a shot im currently training for Comp TI A+ certification which sets me off starting at $20 an hour im not just a foolish young kid i know what my goals are but thanks and yea im thinking hard about what i really want.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigNTasty
Alright well thanks for the opinions i did ask for something honest and i got what i asked for thanks but i still think i have a shot im currently training for Comp TI A+ certification which sets me off starting at $20 an hour im not just a foolish young kid i know what my goals are but thanks and yea im thinking hard about what i really want.
Understood but trust me u put urself in a fast car.. and at ur age u will go fast.. all goals aside.. id doestn matter ur foot will turn to lead..
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My honest opinion is that you are too young to have an Evo. Have you looked into what your insurance is going to cost you? How about maintenance and repair costs? If you want to get into the Mitsubishi game start with a 1G or 2G DSM (Talon/Eclipse/Laser). If you need to finance your car you'll either have to buy it from a dealer or get a loan from the bank.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

People are going to start tearing into you, so be prepared.

On another note

When talking about a private sale of a car, you ALWAYS pay 100% up front.

You need to really figure how much this car is going to cost you. Go to your insurance rep and figure out how much a month insurance will cost you. Then figure gas, tires, mods if you plan on doing them now add that to your car payment every month and see what you come up with.

You're not going to listen to me anyway, but I was a responsible 16yr old and it scares me to think what I would have tried in a car like an evo. Be careful if you do get it.

EDIT:Haha, this is what happens when you write up a reply, but don't press reply until an hour later.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:18 PM

Yea i know insurance is through the roof but really at my age not very likely insurance costs will be any better with another car. Do you guys think maybe i should just downgrade to a Lancer GTS?

Quick Reply: I need an honest opinion