Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Street Car" versus "Race Car" Debate...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may not be too clear on the definition of a 'street car' but shouldn't a 'race car' have competed in at least one official race (thus meeting regulations) whether it is pro or amateur, auto-x/road race/rally/drag?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Anything with a wing is a race car. Holla.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Evo's are race cars period in one form or another .........No matter how much you mind ur own business out there, some idiot always wants to race u
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Hard to say if it's just plates and insurance I can do that to a race car and call it street
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:21 AM
Account Disabled

I also think that if you can and do DD the car on the streets with leagal paper work, then that is a street car. But on the same hand I have seen some street cars without there interior and dash and such, so that in my mind would not be a legit street car. So this is a very good and tough post.

Street car has to be able to be used Daily too me for Daily activites...ie: Hauling kids, family to movies, and lets not forget going to the local market for food
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree with a good amount of post on this one a street car should be something that can be driven at any time jump in start it up and go not plan for it weeks ahead of time i think they should be able to run pump gas to i had a good friend with a cobra he was running 10s but drove it everyday if you dont even have a map for pump gas your car is not a street car to me i really think there is no clear answear for this one cause there is so many things that can very for each car
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome Thread!

In my mind the car has to be plated and insured and needs to be driven RELIABLY on a somewhat regular basis....Our drag car...not a street car. TA1....could be made a steet car but thats on the ragged edge as its REALLY uncomfortable to drive around town.

To me the epitome of a street car has to be one of our customers cars. Jared (semtex23) on the board. He has a 2.3RR GT850R CNC head on pump gas running over 500whp on just some moderate boost (24 psi I think) that car is a monster, super clean and a joy to drive. Not to mention you can toss C16 in it and crack off a 9 sec pass.

If you cant hear yourself think let alone talk then I think the street car thing is out of the window.

To Mike at AWD. Ivan was not starting this to get someone to agree on something. He just wanted to hear peoples opinions on what they think a street car is.

Eric
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

I say we all agree to disagree
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, I will throw my 2 cents in since I know everyone will think drastically differently about thier own cars.

In my humble opinion a street car (Specifically an EVO) has to have the following:

1. All saftey equipent (airbags, door beams, and ALL crash beams)

2. Must have ac/heat and FULL interrior.

3. Must be able to pass emissions (with minor modification)

4. Must be driveable 250 miles or more on one tank of gas

Knowing all this I will make some bold statements:

*I think anything bigger than a 35r on a street car is just too big.

*I think 2,900 lbs is the lightest you can make an evo in street car form
(Still retaining, ac/heat, interior/saftey equipment/front & rear crash beams)

*I think a car running on anything more than 93 is out. Alky can be debated but no C16 for street driving.

*Must be able to pass emissions w/little effort. (Pulling AEM out and switching injectors is simple enough...but anything more drastic is too much)

In summary:

Using my car in my signature as my example:

I CAN NOT modify my car any further without making it unstreetable IMO.
I have followed all that I wrote above to exceed 500whp, to weight less than 3,000lbs, and to still obtain saftey.
I can still drive my car on the highway at 24mpg, fill up where ever I want, and drive where ever I want.
ANYTHING more would put me over the top.

What do you think?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can it be legally driven to and from the race track?

Street car - 11.50 and slower, minimal safety equipment necessary. Great modern street rod and daily driver.

Street/Race - 11.49 - 10.0 roll bar, harness's, fire suit, kill switch, etc. Most cars that are safety compliant are race cars but you could keep it a street car - Most cars in this category are borderline - In other words most of them are not enjoyable to drive anymore. Will the wife still ride in it?

Race car - 9.99 and faster, certified roll cage, scatter shields, fire suppression, etc. Probably shows up to the track with/on/in a trailer with spare parts.

Obviously if your car is driven on the street it should have license plates, pass safety inspection, and meet state insurance requirements.

If it's driven at the track it should be able to pass tech for the ET/Speeds it's going to run.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Oct 20, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Qualifications of a street car IMO:

Be able to drive in all types of weather (even not in boost)

Be able to survive 2+hrs of LA, NY, or BOS traffic/gridlock

In my opinion these "street cars that run 9s" mostly go 2-10miles back and forth at the most. For example Shep and Buschur who are in a more country setting that most likely never see "traffic".

Maybe there should be a differentiation between street vs. street legal.

There is a car that I know that is in IHRA/NMCA that runs 9.1s but is in no way a street legal but classified as SR (street race) in IHRA/NMCA. Just because it is registered and insured (has a title) doesn't mean that I automatical abides to federal and state laws. Especially the worse states, CA, and MA.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

just to add fuel to the fire... What if you run 93oct monday to friday, but swap in a 100 oct tune for track days. I'd say yes, as long as you are competing in a street class.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

My car is caged, no A/C, no interior minus front seats, no radio but is a street car. It passes state inspection(Until I move back to PA..lol) and runs sub 11.5's. I have never been pulled over/ticketed in my EVO in the nearly 3 years I have owned it. I bought the EVO for its performance potential and believe removing excess unwanted items to remove weight does not make it a race car. I still jump in it and go get groceries and pick up my son from school. In fact it always has a car seat in it unless I am at the track.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by infinite_666
I guess its owner preference.
agreed. I think it's about how the driver considers his car. If you want to consider your car a DD or street car, then do it. If you want to consider it something more, then it could be a race car. I think any car could be a race car, just some aren't as good or built to race as others..
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I have one of the Buschur built cars. It runs 9s, I have driven it to Dragway 42 and also Norwalk multiple times this year. I mean like 8-10 times. The car has around 50 passes this summer. I drive it to school, around town, to the store. It never overheats and is perfectly streetable.

It will be making probably 600 hp on Pump gas and not have AC before long. It will still be a street car and driven quite a bit. By that I mean weekends and when I go places that are nice and the weather is nice.

To the people talking about snow and rain. All our cars can be driven in those conditions. We just choose not to. Its still safe, I for one dont because 75% of the people in this world cant drive in good weather, let alone bad conditions. I also want the car to stay in good condition, not eaten away by salt in crappy ohio.

And as for all the crash beems, that would make most of the cars with JDM rear bumpers race cars also, since it doesn't really allow the rear crash beam to fit.