Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Street Car" versus "Race Car" Debate...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Street Car" versus "Race Car" Debate...

I am curious as to where others draw the line between a "street car" and a "race car".

When do you feel a street car is no longer a street car?

If it is plated and insured, is that enough to make it a street car?

If the cat is removed (federal law violation) is it no longer a street car?

If you pull out weight to make it lighter, does it make it a race car? Does removing your AC make it a race car? Does removing the heat make it a race car?

What about removal of safety equipment like air bags and crash beams?

Carbon fiber hood? trunk? roof? doors? Does any of that matter?

Do the tires run on the car put you in one class or the other? What about motorcycle slicks on a car? Should it be DOT only for street cars?

What about turbo positions that restrict the weather you can drive in? Removal of windshield wipers? Should you be able to operate the car when it rains to be considered a street car?

Lets hear from you guys.

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

A street car for me is one I drive everyday to and from work.
However, around here a street car just means it can legally be driven on the street
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post Ivan! For me, I think anything with plates on it is a street car. If you feel comfortable driving it on the street, then go for it.

-Emery
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a stock evo is a race car in my mind
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

That's a tough one. Hey if you can plate it and you "DO" Daily Drive it than I'd consider it a street car. Even if it's a little extreme.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

A street car vs. a race car can mean different things to everybody.

Each owner has his/her tolerances as to what the line seperates a street car from a race car.

This question really has no answers; just opinions.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

i think that any car can be a street car. however fast cars, aren't meant for the street use and they will be legally deprived from reaching their full potential. but this doesn't mean that they cant be street driven. (depends on how many tickets you want)

some owners declare their 400hp cars strictly race car status. while others drive their 600hp built monsters on the street daily. I guess its owner preference.

Then you may also go into the super legal stuff, on whether you pass or don't pass emission. etc.

I personally wouldn't mind driving a fully built AMS car on the street, and would consider it a street car. however i'd be afraid to just leave it in the parking lot while going to the movies. because ppl may steal it...haha...I'd rather just keep it at home (where its safer), and take it to the track whenever i can. Then and only then is it not worth to risk getting it stolen by driving it each day, if i'm not even enjoying it on the street. (COPS).

haha...i know my whole explication sounds confusing.

Last edited by infinite_666; Oct 19, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 'street car' is a car you can drive to and from the race track, run it hard as much as you want, and then after racing take it out to dinner, etc....
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The definition of a "street car" depends on what shade of pink the owner's panties are.

A car that lacks cruise, ABS, power steering, A/C, sound deadener, stereo and has a cage, 600hp engine, lexan windows, barely idles and scares small animals and children can still be considered a street car if the owner can jump in it at anytime, fire it up, and go out and pump sombody's doors off. You can also take it on a fairly long trip if nessisary.

A "race car" to me is anything that has to be put on a trailer to go out somwhere.

And then you have somthing in between, which is called a "towncar". Thats a streetable car, but it never leaves town.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

a street car is mine...............................a race car is mine..........................................just drove it all around town today
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

this thread could be a million pages long without ever having a definative answer.
my take:

you can remove all the weight you want, but no roll cage as its dangerous for the street. all oem safety equipment (abs doesnt count).it should have dot tires and as long as you can get it registered, having a testpipe, or non factory ecu ect shouldnt matter. id go as far as saying you must be able to fuel it at any gas station so you can drive it anywhere.
lastly, you need to be able to drive it to and from the track without hesitation.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This is going to be different to every person depending on just how sadistic they are.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

IMO a street car has to be tabbed and licensed. It has to have factory glass, and everything that would effect driving on the street....example.... windshield wipers, air bags, safety equipment, DOT tires, exhaust, headlights, taillights ect.

I dont think a street car needs to have air conditioning, heater, stock location of turbo or components, or anything that can be taken off to save weight without reducing the integrity or the safety of the car.

Now for a fine line. Technically a rollcage would make the car allot safer but at least where i live you will get a ticket for having a rollcage. You will also get a ticket for having 5 point harnesses even though they are safer....

Chris
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Street car is a Daily Driven......Rain, Shine or Snow.....

Last edited by Genesis8; Oct 20, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

A race car is just that, a race car. A car that is driven only on the race course. It never sees the street. It is hauled to said event on a truck or trailer.

A street car is just that, a street car. A car that is driven only on the street. It never sees the track.

And then there are cars that are driven both on the street and on the race course. At this point in the evolution (pun intended) of motor car enthusiasts, there is no one word to describe a car used both on the street and on the track. The term "street racer" comes to mind, but that is already used in a different connotation. Perhaps "race streeter" could work, but that might lead to accusations of playing the "race" card.

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Oct 20, 2008 at 08:30 PM.