Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mits is Turnin Into a Freakin Joke with Warranty

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mits is Turnin Into a Freakin Joke with Warranty

Please allow me to vent...

I have 2700 miles on my car now and it has seen a total of 3 runs down the drag strip, none of which involved high clutch drops. This week the car started grinding as I would shift it into 5th gear so I take it up to the dealer today. Let me add real quick that I am no certified mechanic but I know enough to know that the problem is obviously a bad 5th gear synchro. That said...when I get it to the dealer this morning, they tell me that I have to wait for the district rep to come drive the car. I wasn't happy with this but agreed because I am easy to please up to a point.

Well they FINALLY call me back at 4:30 this afternoon to tell me that they have to do what is called a "tear down" to find out if the car has been raced. So I asked what in the world would indicate to them that the car has been raced and they said they would look at the clutch and see if it was blue from heat. So I again asked what the hell a blue clutch had to do with a syncrho going out and I get a bunch of, "umm...derr...ummm...duh" on the other end. For one thing it is the damn factory clutch and another is that a car not shifting into ONE gear has little to do with the clutch, if anything at all.

Due to the Magnuson Warranty ACt a dealer cannot void the warranty of any car unless they can directly prove abuse or modification is the sole purpose for whatever problem the car is having. Even if they honor the claim at this point, it isn't going to make me happy because I do not want to go through this everytime I need something fixed on my BRAND NEW car.

It is just absolutely ridiculous that they build a car that is obviously built for racing, market it that way, and then say they wont warranty a part on a STOCK car due to racing. With the way the car is set up, they are practically BEGGING us to race them!

Then they put **** poor clutches in the car that go out every 5,000 miles (if you're lucky) yet void our warranty on the tranny if we put a descent aftermarket clutch in there. We can't win! Either we pay to have our clutch fixed every 5,000 miles or we lose the warranty on our tranny...

This just all sucks when I just watched Ford repair both half shafts on my friends 03 Cobra that he broke while drag racing--no questions asked. I was at a viper days race meet at VIR a few months ago (before i had the evo) and dodge had a full truck there ready to service and replace OEM parts on the SRT-4 and the Vipers UNDER WARRANTY AT THE DAMN TRACK!

Ok done venting...I will keep posted on how this battle goes...but we as an owners' family need to take a stand on this issue or they are going to continue to tighten the neuse on us.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I think it's funny that everyone acts surprised by this. I guess a lot of you have never had Mitsu cars before. They have always been this way. Haven't you guys ever heard of the transfer case recall on teh DSMs? That one took them about 6-7 years to admint to and it was a safety issue.

Good luck with your problem. I agree that it isn't a racing issue. I moght buy that if it was a 2nd gear though.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by instigator
Good luck with your problem. I agree that it isn't a racing issue. I moght buy that if it was a 2nd gear though.

Good point that I didn't think about...I don't even shift into 5th at the track..
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Have you had your manual transaxle fluid changed before the 5th gear grinding ?? ? Because I remeber when I had my manual transaxle fluid changed to GL5 Spec Mobil 1 Gear oil my second gear started grinding a lot so I immediately switched to redline MT90 and now it seems a lot better. But it still not as SMOOTH as regular cars it seems our Gear Box is just very very NOTCHY.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

I was at a viper days race meet at VIR a few months ago (before i had the evo) and dodge had a full truck there ready to service and replace OEM parts on the SRT-4 and the Vipers UNDER WARRANTY AT THE DAMN TRACK!
damn. maybe i'll just get the srt-4 instead of the ralliart after all.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:21 PM

dude i had the same problem on my 95 eclipse and they said they had to replace my entire transmission so i dont know what to think now
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by metalevoVIII
dude i had the same problem on my 95 eclipse and they said they had to replace my entire transmission so i dont know what to think now

Well if you have not bought an EVO yet, I would seriously reconsider in light of this. I have a copy of the print out regarding the warranty issues that I will put up soon. If I had do to it again, I would get a M3---BMW...a company that encourages the track use of their cars.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:42 PM

Re: Mits is Turnin Into a Freakin Joke with Warranty

Originally posted by StriktlyBidness
I was at a viper days race meet at VIR a few months ago (before i had the evo) and dodge had a full truck there ready to service and replace OEM parts on the SRT-4 and the Vipers UNDER WARRANTY AT THE DAMN TRACK!
Holy crap are you kidding?
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Mits is Turnin Into a Freakin Joke with Warranty

Originally posted by Kaisho99

Holy crap are you kidding?

No...actually I am very damn serious. I have a good friend with an ACR Viper who participates in the Viper Day events all the time. I do video production and he wanted me to make him a video of his car at the track which is why I was there. Dodge had a huge truck full of parts including 2 brand new motors for EACH vehicle. On top of this they had design engineers for both cars on site as well to advise.

They really care about their customers and they realize that when they build a sports car, they need to encourage the use of that car for what it was made in order to keep repeat buyers.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

This is a truly serious issue that should demand some lobbying of the company by enthusiasts to change their self-defeating policies. I love my car, but will NEVER buy another mitsubishi product of any sort again. I will keep the Evo forever, but it's back to BMW after this.

Percy
Old Sep 3, 2003, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by hagakure
This is a truly serious issue that should demand some lobbying of the company by enthusiasts to change their self-defeating policies.

I totally agree and think we really should "rally" together and do something about it so we can enjoy our cars without threat of voiding our warranty.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Although, I have not had any major issues with my car (knock on wood), all this reading is making me mad. I don't want deal with the same kind of crap if I have to take my car in for warranty work. I think this is a big issue just like everyone else and that something should be done. But I don't know what can be done. What can we do???? Can't we sue somebody?????????
Old Sep 3, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: Mits is Turnin Into a Freakin Joke with Warranty

Originally posted by StriktlyBidness

No...actually I am very damn serious. I have a good friend with an ACR Viper who participates in the Viper Day events all the time. I do video production and he wanted me to make him a video of his car at the track which is why I was there. Dodge had a huge truck full of parts including 2 brand new motors for EACH vehicle. On top of this they had design engineers for both cars on site as well to advise.

They really care about their customers and they realize that when they build a sports car, they need to encourage the use of that car for what it was made in order to keep repeat buyers.

Hello Mitsubishi??? Are you reading this???? Perhaps you can learn from your sister company Dodge and apply it towards us
Old Sep 3, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

I really wish Honda, Toyota, or Nissan made the Evo because I feel like I'm doing myself in the butt spending so much money on a third-teir dealership, and knowing I'll get ****ty service and a car with a lot of issues.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to see Mitsu try and Void my warranty, I will sue the hell out of the dealship I bought it from... I bought my car with 80 miles on it, and Was told by 3 different employees (2 which were friends, 1 a sales manager) that they each took the car out as soon as they got them and beat on them. The sales manager told me he took my car out and raced a GT mustang and beat it when they first received them. I would Love to take mitsu to court sue the hell out of them then make them buy my car back at the rediculous price they charged me for being one of the first owners... I already told their finance lady to skrew off after she told me that not buying the "Pitpass" oil change crap would void my warranty. She opened the book and couldn't show me a single solitary would that stated it would void it, she did however manage to show me the sections in the book that showed you how to change your own oil and filters..... F-ing Lops.... I swear I should be a tech or general manger if they are this stupid..... Better yet i'd probably qualify to be a CEO, LMFAO!!!!

Quick Reply: Mits is Turnin Into a Freakin Joke with Warranty