Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Replacing Stock MR gauges with Autometer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Stock MR gauges with Autometer

Hi all I was talking to AMS and they said if would probably be a good idea to get a autometer boost gauge since when tuned it will probably peg the stock one.

This makes total sense.

My question is however. I dont like the idea of 2 boost gauges in the car. Just annoys me lol.

I was thinking of getting the Autometer lower guage pod and getting 3 gauges to replace the stock MR ones.

Now any idea if I can just wires the autometer ones up to the stock wires and such to make life easy.

Didnt know if anyone done this already or looked into it.

Thanks,
Scott
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
the stock gauges have a plug and play harness...so technically no unless you leave them in place and tap the power source and just use the boost source from the stock gauge
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just installed a new boost gauge on my MR today and I pretty much did what Chaotic has posted. I kept the factory gauges because I wanted to keep the oil and volt gauges but I also didnt wanna make a bigger opening where the factory gauge was for my 52mm Defi gauge so instead I mounted it on my steering column cover. I simply wired it using the harness from my alpine head unit and then I T'd the factory vacuum line going to the boost gauge. So now I have 2 boost gauges, along with the factory oil temp and volt meter.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

The wiring for the gauges is really just an intermediate harness that plugs into the stock stereo harness. It continues to the stereo, but includes spliced off lines for the gauges including exactly what just about any gauge needs these days which is 12v acc power, illumination, and ground. You absolutely could just wire into this harness. I'm not sure I understand why the above poster said you couldn't.

Last edited by TSiAWD666; Dec 19, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
The wiring for the gauges is really just an intermediate harness that plugs into the stock stereo harness. It continues to the stereo, but includes spliced off lines for the gauges including exactly what just about any gauge needs these days which is 12v acc power, illumination, and ground. You absolutely could just wire into this harness. I'm not sure I understand why the above poster said you couldn't.
I never stated that you couldnt tap off the factory gauge harness. I only said I tapped my radio harness for power simply because it was the easiest for me.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I said no...because I thought he meant he was taking the harness out

he can definitely use the harness or just tap the stereo
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:18 AM

Yeah I plan to keep the harness for all the gauges. just want to take the gauges out and get 3 diff ones and the autometer lower gauge panel. or the center one.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Firebat
Hi all I was talking to AMS and they said if would probably be a good idea to get a autometer boost gauge since when tuned it will probably peg the stock one.

This makes total sense.

My question is however. I dont like the idea of 2 boost gauges in the car. Just annoys me lol.

I was thinking of getting the Autometer lower guage pod and getting 3 gauges to replace the stock MR ones.

Now any idea if I can just wires the autometer ones up to the stock wires and such to make life easy.

Didnt know if anyone done this already or looked into it.

Thanks,
Scott
Can anyone explain to me what does "peg the stock ones" mean? Reason i ask is because i plan on tuning my 06EvoMR with my stock boost gauge since i dont want to loose the stock look, after i install a couple of simple mods (Intake, Full exhaust, wabro fuel pump, Under hood shifter bushings, ebay o2 housing port and polish, port and polish exhaust manifold, LICP, boost controller, EGT gauge, and wideband AFR gauge)

Last edited by Wakko_Evo; Oct 2, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

peg - max out

aka running more boost than the gauge reads
Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:13 AM

How much boost can the MR gauge hold? I knew how much but forgot inst it around 17? Or that's how much she's set up now? Idk
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
PSI to kg/cm2 table

Last edited by Smike; Oct 3, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 19DB794
I just installed a new boost gauge on my MR today and I pretty much did what Chaotic has posted. I kept the factory gauges because I wanted to keep the oil and volt gauges but I also didnt wanna make a bigger opening where the factory gauge was for my 52mm Defi gauge so instead I mounted it on my steering column cover. I simply wired it using the harness from my alpine head unit and then I T'd the factory vacuum line going to the boost gauge. So now I have 2 boost gauges, along with the factory oil temp and volt meter.

post some pics yo.....
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock boost gauge is fairly accurate compared to the MAP sensor. Though its scaling ends at 1.5kg/cm2, it doesn't read in Bar, the gauge continues to read past that point. Personally, I wouldn't bother replacing it unless working with a gauge that's as good or better. The only one I'd trust is a VDO. All this said, a gauge can only give a relative reading. One is much better off logging the MAP sensor, if any degree of accuracy is desired.

FWIW, here's a PSI/ kg/cm2 calculator:

http://www.lenntech.com/calculators/...e/pressure.htm
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been pegging my stock boost gauge for a while...haha...its alright...no big deal...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:32 AM

So the stock MR gauge max's out at 22psi, around there at least! I don't think am gonna use more than that for now. But thank you everyone! And sorry for taking room on this post

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock MR gauges with Autometer