Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Harness bar vs. Roll Bar?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harness bar vs. Roll Bar?

hello everyone i was wondering if there are any safety issues in regards to getting a harness bar, vs a roll bar, i no that obviously roll bar would help if the car rolls, and would be more stable than a harness bar, but anything else?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Using a harness bar usually leads to using a racing harnesses (5 or 6 pt) that should not be used without a roll bar & racing seat.

Instead, either get a roll bar so that you can use the correct harness, or use a belt that is designed to be installed without a harness bar utilizing the stock mounting locations - such as the TUV & DOT approved Schroth with ASM harnesses.

Both a roll bar and harness bar make the rear seats unsafe for rear passengers, even if people put foam around it. For best human protection, you should be using the expensive dense stuff (like this: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=2391), not the cheap foam stuff (like this: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=2390).

Last edited by xtnct; Jan 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:32 PM

Well a harness bar is just that, a place to connect your harness. It gives a little more rigidty to the car but not as much as a roll bar would. And with the harness bar a back seat passenger wouldnt really be all that safe (There is another tread about that on this forum).. They really are both for off the road driving, not really needed for street driving, but hey they look nice..
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

If you want to start racing seriously, I'd look into getting a full roll cage. If you're just looking to stay in your seat better, get a racing seat and call it good. Harness bars are pretty cheap though.......cheaper than a seat. So it's up to you.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:37 PM

like some people have already said a roll bar is for roll overs of coarse but if you do get a harness bar and have a accident where you end upside down, you could get hurt when using harness and no cage or roll bar.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, great question and good answers. Learned some new stuff today!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

id do a harness bar.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

If you're doing strictly street racing then you don't even need them. I wouldn't get a harness because i think its a waste of money, I'd rather save a little more and just do a roll bar.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
roll bar never hurts.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'm putting a harness bar in my car as an excuse to not carry people around in my car anymore .
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05ah8james
I'm putting a harness bar in my car as an excuse to not carry people around in my car anymore .
Thats a good point...i'd do the same but it CAN get really inconvenient.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Do neither for a street car. If you put a roll bar, do not drive without a helmet. If you do a harness bar, do NOT put anyone in the back seat, because if you get in an accident then they will hit the bar and die and you can be prosecuted for murder (under the reckless disregard for human life theory). You can get a removable harness bar, but you really don't want a harness bar without a roll bar in case you flip. And never use a 4 point harness unless it has anti-dive, or you can submarine and that is some you really don't want to do. I have seen most of this stuff happen, and the mess it makes is not pretty.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

a removable harness is only good for using it as a weapon in a roadrage argument no seriously, you don't need anything like the dude said, unless you are seriously that hardcore, then i'd tell you, go to racing school instead so you can avoid flipping :P
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, I decided not to get it, learned some great info, I guess it's very unsafe for the driver and rear passengers and I don't want that, I guess on track days I could just hook up the harness to the factory bolts in the rear which are for the child seats?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -Evo Aaron-
I could just hook up the harness to the factory bolts in the rear which are for the child seats?
Definitely NOT!!!! https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...er-anchor.html

If anything, only the stock adult rear seat belt anchors.

Quick Reply: Harness bar vs. Roll Bar?