Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I Trade my STi for an EVO HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Trade my STi for an EVO HELP!

OK so i have an 04 STi with a big turbo ect... It is making 371whp with a very SAFE tune.. No meth nothing..

When i was in the market to get a EVO or STi.. I had my heart on the EVO hands down.. I love the looks and the power they make.. BUT i went to test drive 2... one at a dealer ship and the other one privately.. Both of them had some kind of tran's problems, they were both stockish also...

So after test driving 2 for 2 with trans problems i changed my mind and bought an STi., BUT they do not look as cool or make as much power mod for mod... I was thinking making 370whp would make me like the STi more but for some reason i still want an EVO...

You think someone will trade me?.. any year any color... i don't care.. I would like stockish with less miles or mods with same mileage.... want a STRIGHT TRADE!!

The one think that is awesome about the STi is that they DON"T BREAK!!!

Last edited by stiftwevo; Feb 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Tranny Problem is on the MR's. They over heat like a *****, happened to me plenty of times and i FREAKING HATE IT! The gears are too crammed together so it starts to act up. :X
It's the GSR Tranny that is Magical! That tranny is a decent tranny and won't over heat like the MR's will.

Now from what i heard on the STY Tranny, it's like a GLASS! Breaks sooo damn quick if you don't know how to drive/use it properly. :\

You're making 370 with what "big turbo."? (If you don't mind me asking).

And YES I WOULD TRADE it for an evo! WHY-STy....i mean Sti!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Evos won't break either as long as you take care of them and don't beat the **** out of them.

Both are great cars, but it sounds like you REALLY have your heart set on an Evo. I'm sure there's people out there that would trade.

Tony (has only roasted a clutch, due to own fault... and beats the **** out of it daily)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Domolution
The Tranny Problem is on the MR's. They over heat like a *****, happened to me plenty of times and i FREAKING HATE IT! The gears are too crammed together so it starts to act up. :X
It's the GSR Tranny that is Magical! That tranny is a decent tranny and won't over heat like the MR's will.

Now from what i heard on the STY Tranny, it's like a GLASS! Breaks sooo damn quick if you don't know how to drive/use it properly. :\

wat

The MR tranny is fine. It has a weaker 4th gear synchro but that's it... sounds to me like you don't take care of the car like you should.

The STi's have awesome trannys... it's the WRX that has the glass tranny.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:27 AM

They were both 5-speeds i test drove...

I have a Element GT 52... with a VERY SAFE tune... The tuner was telling me i could of got 385whp no problem... i'm only running 20.5PSI he said it will really open up at 23 24PSI

Last edited by stiftwevo; Feb 6, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
wat

The MR tranny is fine. It has a weaker 4th gear synchro but that's it... sounds to me like you don't take care of the car like you should.

From what i hear on IWSTI the STi trans can hold up to 800whp No problem and the WRX tran's are really bad...

Last edited by stiftwevo; Feb 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
wat

YEAH, haha......the WRX then, haha.....something like that! I don't own a Booboo, so i wasn't sure tranny it was. I just heard it from one of my buddies.

And YES, 4th gear is POOP! I do take care of my car, haha..... just the stock tranny for track isn't working at all. It tends to over heat once you hit a certain point, especially for all the mods i have on right now and i've been thinking about going 5-speed, Shep built Tranny.
But yeah, stock tranny on the MR's are just not working if you track your evo 70-80% of the time.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:39 AM

you guys no anyone that might want to trade?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

Hit up a dealer, lol......but they might rape you!

Autotrader.com?
Cars.com?
Craigslist.com?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:45 AM

Hit up a dealer, lol......but they might rape you!

Autotrader.com?
Cars.com?
Craigslist.com?
def not any of them.. i want a private.. and yea i would get raped hard.. they would give me like 16k i just spent 9k last month on it
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

Does anyone know how much a EVO motor makes WHP on a dyno Jet>?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most Evo owner would say Go with the Evo. If you're asking this question at the Subie forum, they would say Keep your STI. The decision comes down to YOU. If it was the 09 STI, I'd keep it due to it has a lot of room and I like that Good luck. Hope you make the right decision.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck with that. To make a trade like this happen is going to take you a while. You don't come across people like that everyday. I don't mean that no one that owns an evo will want your STi, I'm just saying that if someone is thinking about getting rid of their evo there is more to it. Basicly someone selling the car either to get out of debt or the problem is in the car, not too often I see a switch from stockish evo to a modded STi.

I guess what I'm trying to say - if you do find someone to trade ya, make sure their evo is not a pile of crap

Good luck
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I know that stock evo puts down 242 whp on mustang. So on the dynojet it would have to be around close to 265. I might be wrong about 242 whp on mustang, it might be on the dynojet, but 242whp for sure
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8
Good luck with that. To make a trade like this happen is going to take you a while. You don't come across people like that everyday. I don't mean that no one that owns an evo will want your STi, I'm just saying that if someone is thinking about getting rid of their evo there is more to it. Basicly someone selling the car either to get out of debt or the problem is in the car, not too often I see a switch from stockish evo to a modded STi.

I guess what I'm trying to say - if you do find someone to trade ya, make sure their evo is not a pile of crap

Good luck
yea i got you.. I don't want to get ripped off.. I just put in 9k... but i still want an EVO idk y... like if someone wants to trade ill do it... put i don't mind at all keeping it tho....

Ill be beating 90% of DD EVO's