Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What rots an EVO over time?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What rots an EVO over time?

Of course in 5 years I'll be wanting a new car that is the current hotness or even a minivan if I were to start a family, haha, but I'm wondering what steps I can do today to preserve my EVO if it turns out I want to keep it 'forever?'

Obviously not beating on the car, and following the regular maintenance schedule will help, but what about the rest of the car?

What about the hoses? (is there a dressing I can apply to condition the hoses b4 they crack?)

What about the frame? When I installed my exhaust, I noticed the start of bits of rust here and there. Should I apply a rust inhibitor like POR-15 under the car?
http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

Condition the interior as well...any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
garage it and dont drive in the winter
Old May 22, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

ok, good suggestion but unfortunately, not an option as it is my only car.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy a beater? if thats not an option...wash and detail it frequently, especially in the winter...

and make sure you get the under carriage too
Old May 22, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I think washing and detailing (esp. in the winter) is a good step, but it wouldn't get under the car. That's why I think coating steel parts on the underside of the car with a rust inhibitor would be a good move.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

buy another evo
Old May 22, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

hoses are cheap enough to replace before they crack,

careful attention and on time maintenance are probably the best advice.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
by that time parts will be cheap or you can pick up another evo. im sure by the time the evo 2020 comes out you will want that and not prefer this one cause its old technology. so why even bother preserving the frame etc just buy new parts if your so worried thats what you make money for to buy whatever or pay whomever is needed.
Old May 22, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Truly, the way to preserve your Evo is to get a DD and garage it. Especially through those harsh winters in Connecticut
Old May 22, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My first wife had a 79 Trans Am. I claimed to be an ace mechanic so she wanted her car to be perfect at all times. So, I did a lot of mechanical work on that car keeping it running like new.

Also, back then, cars came from the factory with their undersides unpainted. I used an oil product called Consel Clear M3 to waterproof the metal of the car. Each fall the car would go up on jack stands, the brakes, exhaust and anything else that I didn’t want oily would be masked off. Then I would don a painter’s mask and go under with a spray gun. The cavities of the body would get this treatment too. The car would drip for days.

My wife died and her wishes were that her car go to her niece. Two weeks ago my second wife and I paid a visit to my brother-in-law. His daughter said, “Come to the garage.” There was the TA, all bright and shiny. My wife and niece piled in, I got behind the wheel, the engine fired instantly, and we were off roaming the streets. It was a great day.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Def. do not drive your evo in the winter, Im paying for it as we speak...

-New trunk
-bumper
-scratches
-dents

ewwww, its coming back nicely though lol
Old May 22, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

barneyb- that's phenominal. Glad u enjoyed that Trans Am again!
Old May 22, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
It was a great day.
That's incredible. Almost sounds like a movie ending...
Old May 22, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
My first wife had a 79 Trans Am. I claimed to be an ace mechanic so she wanted her car to be perfect at all times. So, I did a lot of mechanical work on that car keeping it running like new.

Also, back then, cars came from the factory with their undersides unpainted. I used an oil product called Consel Clear M3 to waterproof the metal of the car. Each fall the car would go up on jack stands, the brakes, exhaust and anything else that I didn’t want oily would be masked off. Then I would don a painter’s mask and go under with a spray gun. The cavities of the body would get this treatment too. The car would drip for days.

My wife died and her wishes were that her car go to her niece. Two weeks ago my second wife and I paid a visit to my brother-in-law. His daughter said, “Come to the garage.” There was the TA, all bright and shiny. My wife and niece piled in, I got behind the wheel, the engine fired instantly, and we were off roaming the streets. It was a great day.
thats good to hear bro! as for the threadstarter best way to preserve any car would be just to maintain it regularly fluid changes, washing , waxing and keeping the miles low that should be good enough.
Old May 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Thanks for the nice words. But what I was trying to illustrate is what makes a car last.

Who replaces the transmission in a minivan, and fixes the suspension, and has it repainted, and reupholstered? – nobody. A minivan is an appliance and when an appliance gets worn out it gets thrown out. For a car to last you have to love it. The day you lose your love for a car is the day it gets neglected and it soon is gone. For a car to last it has to be something special, and an Evo is, but you have to never lose your love for it. Then you are willing to spend the money to keep it running, clean and in good repair.

Quick Reply: What rots an EVO over time?