Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

so my evo flooded

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so my evo flooded

we had some really heavy rain poor down yesterday for about 20-30 minutes. i park my car on the street about 6 blocks from the office, and i parked it yesterday next to a storm drain. well the storm drain backed up and flooded the street right next to my car. i came walking towards the car and found this mess...

so i got the water (or as much as i could) out of the drivers area and got the car home. i shop vac'd as much water as i could out of the car. tonight when i get home from work i'm going to remove the seats and carpet. if any of you guys have experience w/ something like this please, please, please let me know. it's horrible, but there's really nothing i can do, i was going to call the city and at least let them know that the storm drain flooded.

someone else mentioned on another forum that the insurance company might total it. i'm really not trying to make a claim, but what do you guys think?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:08 AM

oh that sucks... i feel for you.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Total loss. Are you in a position to get another EVO? How high up did the water damage go...if it could've gotten electrical components then don't waste your time.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

damn my car kinda flooded the other day but tnot near as bad as yours sorry to hear that... just vac out what u can and idk whats involved in taking out the carpet either
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:41 AM
Account Disabled

damn thats sucks my. where are you located that it rains like that? sorry to hear that man. GL on everything
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

its not that hard to remove the carpet... just make sure its completely dry before you put it back in or it WILL start to smell bad... goodluck!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Absolutely claim it as totaled, the car is fine to drive get it fixed sell as salvaged.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Try to follow the water line on the inside of the firewall. find out how bad everything got wet.. Pull the kick pannels off the floors on both sides of the car and check the inside metal wire connectors.. If there corroded your in for a world of pain. You could cut and resoder them but thats a whole lot of work. Also depending on how high the water got, you should change every single fluid throughout the car, trans/oil/gear oil. etccc... You dont need any of that water gunk in the motor getting sucked up into the motor by the pick-up..

Honestly, id just pull the kick panels, and see if the water covered the connections there, if it did. Call your insurance company..
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:15 AM

If you keep the car you can find a company that specializes in odor/mold removal. You don't want to put that carpet back in unless you know it's absolutely dry and clean. Good luck.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Poor car
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that sucks. Will the insurance company cover it for you.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

i don't know about insurance. i haven't called them yet. maybe tomorrow. i'm going to pull all the carpeting and remove the front seats, put the de-humidifier back in the car for a bit and check on it tomorrow.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Insurance will cover it. I wouldn't touch it until insurance is done doing their inspection.

I personally have owned a few flood cars along with the 8 I'm currently driving but I'd let insurance take care of it before trying to do anything myself.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

well, i pulled the seats and the carpet. i hung the carpet up over the weekend with the dehumidifier underneath it. worked great. i steam cleaned the carpet yesterday and it's hanging back up now.

i'm not sure if it was clear in the first post or not. the car wasn't flooded by a river or lake or something. the water only went about 1/3 of the way up the door. no electronics were ruined or anything. it was mainly the carpets and the passenger side seats.

i'll let everything sit for the next couple of days and reinstall later this week or this weekend.

i think the problem has been averted. i am going to take it to the dealership and have them check out everything in a week or so.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

I would consider peeling the wool insulation off the back of the carpeting. Even though it's dried out, it may start to smell really bad in hotter weather when the inside of your car gets hot. I would also cover the carpet with baking soda for a day or so to absorb any odors, then vacuum it off.