Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HVAC controls links-Hard to turn problem

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anything?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murderedevo256
im lost reading this thread
I was lost reading your question. Punctuation is nothing to be afraid of.

How It Works
The knob turns a gear. The gear swings lever (which I'll call "A"). The lever pulls a cable (just like the cable for brakes on a bike). The other end of the cable swings a lever (which I'll call "B"). That lever is connected to yet another lever ("C") via a messed-up kludge (pics: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7517475-post28.html). The end of that lever has teeth which rotate a gear. That gear somehow causes the blend door to move. The position of the blend door dictates your air temperature.

What Goes Wrong

Very common: The connection between levers B and C is an unholy kludge which makes the baby Jesus cry and makes the knob hard to turn. There are redesigned parts which cost $25-ish and which can be replaced without a lot of technical know-how. Bring a short screwdriver and bandaids for scraped knuckles. You'll probably invent some new cursewords while lying on your back trying to get your arms up there.

Less common, but all-too-frequent: The blend door itself can have trouble moving. There are redesigned parts for this, too, but replacing the door requires dropping the dash. This is non-trivial for an average mechanic, as well as time-consuming. It's expensive ($500-ish) for the dealer to do it.

Even less common: the cables can get tweaked or come loose (the ends of the cable sheathing have to be fastened securely for the cables to work).

Ideas For What You Can Do
As a short-term solution, you can see whether you can move Levers B and C by hand. After my first few trips under the dash, I got to where I could adjust them while sitting in the driver's seat.

I bought the replacement link-lever kit, and while I had the levers off I found I could rotate the gear that moves the blend door easily by hand. If you can't, that implies your have a blend door problem.

Other people have pulled out the radio and looked at the operation of their cables while rotating the knobs and found that the cables were messed-up.

Good luck!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok so my 03 im pretty sure has never had the cabin filter changed and idk where it is. My heater control worked up until a few weeks ago but flipped from cold to hot really hard. Now it can go all they cold but only about 3/4 the way to hot, and I can not here the door flip and it stays cold in the car. What actually causes it to not switch over to hot im lost reading this thread on where to go with fixing it? its snowing now and I want to try to fix it this week so my girlfriend doesnt yell at how cold it is in the car.lol Should I get new gears, it feels like something is stopping it from turning completely to hot
Get the gears. I did my '03 a couple of years ago, and that was the fix. They were $20-something, and it took about 10 minutes to change.

On cabin air filter. The '03's did not have these. That's an easy fix, too. Search in the DIY section. The filter goes behind the glovebox. I think the filter was about $20, too.

I don't think the issue with the heater knob is related at all to the cabin filter. The gears are just a crappy design. The replacement gears have been redesigned.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Status Update

As for me: the control unit came in today and I installed it. It went reasonably well. The biggest problem was the 90 degree heat.

As some others have reported, the knob was very hard to turn initially. Felt like it was going to snap. I moved the link-lever stuff by hand and put some lithium grease in the gears, and it moved a LOT better. Better than the old one had ever worked for years.

It's still not perfect. But I can live with it. Especially because I saved $700+ by not having the dealer do the work.

Some info about the part: the control unit comes with the cables attached, and with a new dash panel and knobs.

A sincere thanks to everyone who posted info that helped my make this repair!

Last edited by Berserker; Oct 15, 2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:21 PM

I purchased the revised gears from my local dealership and overall I would say that anyone with common sense can do it successfully. The knob now turns very well for being a climate control system that is "geared" by gears (no pun intended) unlike my dads Honda. My only problem and reason why it took my like an hour-ish is because the door gear wasn't lined up properly the first time. Also, if I didn't have carpal tunnel b4, I have it now. Just be patient and be aware of how the gears work/look before getting into it.

Price: $23 after shipping
Time: somewhere between 40-60mins
Result: Frustration dropped ten-fold, saved money/damage, and I get to keep motoring on.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joshisjamesbond
My only problem and reason why it took my like an hour-ish is because the door gear wasn't lined up properly the first time
Yeah, I got it wrong the first time as well. Luckily I realized it while I was still down there.

For anyone in the future who is going to try this: there's a part that sticks out of the door gear that has to line up with an indentation on the lever which turns it. I found that the easiest thing to do was line them up before screwing the lever down. Then I tested just how that one lever worked with the gear before putting on the other lever which attaches to it.

Also, if I didn't have carpal tunnel b4, I have it now.
A-freaking-men. I have a gnarly gash on my middle finger knuckle. It bled profusely and I thought I might have to get a stitch in it. I think it'll be OK without an ER visit, though.

Price: $23 after shipping
Time: somewhere between 40-60mins
Result: Frustration dropped ten-fold, saved money/damage, and I get to keep motoring on.
Congrats! You did it right. I'm $370 poorer because I snapped that friggin' knob off.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:07 AM

Oy....I went to the dealership yesterday and they wanted at least 800.00 because they said they'd have to take the dash apart.

I'm going to try the TSB that was posted though because I can barely turn to heat and it's getting f'n cold here in rainy GA.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the info.
I will be ordering these gears and maybe the entire kit if needed.

I have been experiencing this problem for about the last 60,000 miles.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:07 AM

o3 are really suck azz. i bought the car w/o knowing but now that its cold, cant turn the knob and there's no heat. wth!!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:47 AM

I just got my car back from Traffic Jam Motorsports over here in Buford, GA. They re-greased the gears and now my car blows out lukewarm heat versus just cold air. Do you guys get really hot air or just warm?

I just think it's weird how the AC is ice cold but the heat is just warm.

Last edited by Sixth_Vang; Oct 19, 2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

I spent 12 and a half hours fixing the problem, I bought the links but not the blend door.
I fixed mine just pressing and blending the blending door itself. I figured out the the problem is all about the round shape of the door not matching the rails of it. It always got stuck half way. I recommend to use grease and to clean all the ducts and the cooling panel too. At the end it really works like it should. Now I only have a lower back pain.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:51 PM

Mine just broke today. I'm so pissed right now.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Foor For Thought On Repair

I disassembled my old unit, and when I put it back together I used the shaft from the rightmost knob in place of the broken shaft for the temperature knob. As far as I can tell it functions properly.

So, for you guys snapping off your knobs: maybe two of you can pool your resources to buy one new unit and then build another functioning unit from the carcasses of the two dead units.

Just food for thought.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:59 PM

My new heater control box arrived today. Now, I just need to find somebody to install it for me.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anything?
Did you ever fix it??

I'm in Middletown and my friend owns Pocono Motorsports.
I can help you out if needed.

Quick Reply: HVAC controls links-Hard to turn problem