Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Popping out of gear...WTF

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so did you have this problem from the begining after you had it rebuilt??? or did it happen over time?? either way I hope the shop takes take of this for you because it's obviously something they did, weather they reassembled it wrong or whatever I just hope they don't try to blame something else for their mistake
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

The guy who runs the shop is awesome, it's the mechanics that have messed things up for me, well at least in the past they did.

This problem has NEVER happened since I've owned the car. I had a kartboy adj. shifter installed when I bought it and it's treated me great. The mechanic is blaming my shifter for the issue, but that is just WAY too big of a coincidence for me to buy...that the first problem I've ever experienced with the shifter happens right after the stage 2 tranny goes in.

Either way, I agreed to pay out of my own pocket to go to a mistu dealer where I live and have them check the shifter/bushings out and see what's going on. If it is indeed my shifter causing the problem I'll put in a Works short shifter.

If that still doesn't fix it, I'll have to wait until June when I can have Works tear it back down try and find the problem.

As much as I like the CEO of the company, I've had way too many problems with the mechanics. I'll probably be taking my business elsewhere after this is all taken care of.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:01 AM

most likely bad synchros or even the transmission it self
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:54 PM

To start.......the syncros dont just go bad. They wear out slowly. He would of felt like grinding here and there, hard to get into gear and when they are very bad he would not be able to shift to gear. So, everyone stop saying its the syncros they dont just go bad over night. I will check the cables first and maybe replace them. It is worth a try, it is cheaper. If that dont fix the problem I would also inspect only all the mounts maybe when you taking of something is shifting and it pulls the cables, not very common. If everything checks out good than you need to take that trans down because something went wrong inside. On my 2g after a home rebuild like 6 months later the 5th started to pop out. It turns out that the big nut that holds the gear was finger loose and the gear was moving away when you put it in gear. The reason why I rebuild it is because the 1st gear was popping out. The fix was the fork was very badly worn out and the bearing that was holding the gear cluster was completely apart. So every time you select the 1st gear the cluster would move back and kick the fork out. By the way I dont see anything very bad about starting in 2nd gear if you do it properly. Its a lot better than destroying the trans even more but going into 1st.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by evokenny
most likely bad synchros or even the transmission it self
Which one is it? Why post something like this. Dont post anything at all. Dont just post so you can reach higher post mark. Its stupid how many pages I read with that kind of information. It gets me very mad.

Sorry dont want to start an argument.

Thanks Mike.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crankwalked2G
To start.......the syncros dont just go bad. They wear out slowly. He would of felt like grinding here and there, hard to get into gear and when they are very bad he would not be able to shift to gear. So, everyone stop saying its the syncros they dont just go bad over night. I will check the cables first and maybe replace them. It is worth a try, it is cheaper. If that dont fix the problem I would also inspect only all the mounts maybe when you taking of something is shifting and it pulls the cables, not very common. If everything checks out good than you need to take that trans down because something went wrong inside. On my 2g after a home rebuild like 6 months later the 5th started to pop out. It turns out that the big nut that holds the gear was finger loose and the gear was moving away when you put it in gear. The reason why I rebuild it is because the 1st gear was popping out. The fix was the fork was very badly worn out and the bearing that was holding the gear cluster was completely apart. So every time you select the 1st gear the cluster would move back and kick the fork out. By the way I dont see anything very bad about starting in 2nd gear if you do it properly. Its a lot better than destroying the trans even more but going into 1st.
Finally, a good reply. Thanks man

I had grinding in 5th, which is why I had the stage 2 Works tranny done. They put in brand new everything. The transmission feels awesome, everything goes in like butter. The ONLY problem now is first gear popping out about 25% of the time.

I ordered the Works shifter kit with their bushings/bearings in case it is my short shifter causing the problem. I can always return it if it turns out it's a simple fix.

How much labor was involved in finding the bearing holding the gear cluster?

Mine kicks back pretty aggressively. Does this sound like what you experienced?

Thanks again for the reply.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:01 PM

On my 2g the fifth was just moving when I step on the gas or you can say when I put a load on the trans. I did a search online since the trans had just been rebuild and thats what I came up with and just took the cover off the trans on the side and there it was. But the first gear when it was popping out that required of removal of the trans. The bearing that the cluster that hold the gear rides on just got destroyed and on top of that the plastic little guides on the forks got really worn out. It was very "aggressive". I did not use to 1st gear for sometime because it just never stay in there. Anyways listen who ever rebuild the trans and install it should look at it because they are the once who did it. If no mounts and shifter cables are in bad condition than that trans needs to come down. Does the trans whine when you drive in 1st gear or second?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:04 PM

By the way labor was free, was done at home. Took like a week to put it back together. If the rebuild was done not too long ago than you should still have some kind of warranty at least on the labor.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

On my 2g the fifth was just moving when I step on the gas or you can say when I put a load on the trans. I did a search online since the trans had just been rebuild and thats what I came up with and just took the cover off the trans on the side and there it was. But the first gear when it was popping out that required of removal of the trans. The bearing that the cluster that hold the gear rides on just got destroyed and on top of that the plastic little guides on the forks got really worn out. It was very "aggressive". I did not use to 1st gear for sometime because it just never stay in there. Anyways listen who ever rebuild the trans and install it should look at it because they are the once who did it. If no mounts and shifter cables are in bad condition than that trans needs to come down. Does the trans whine when you drive in 1st gear or second?
yes, it does whine but I figured that was just the nature of the stage 2 tranny. It has the same whine 1st through 3rd...probably 4th and 5th too I just haven't paid attention to those gears.

I had the work done at Works up in nor cal while visiting my parents for Christmas. However, I live in San Diego and I won't be going back up there until June.

If it turns out the transmission needs to come out, I'll tough it out until June.

I really hope it's more simple than that. This is such a pain!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The transmission shouldn't whine after work has been done to it.
Dan
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

maybe it's the differential making the whine then? it's not a bad whine sound.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:25 AM

You don't want gear whine mang. No matter where it's coming from. It sounds like you're probably going to have to take it back to Works... I know nothing about their work, and not a whole lot about built evo trannies. So, good luck man. Hope it gets worked out!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

The bearing that the cluster that hold the gear rides on just got destroyed and on top of that the plastic little guides on the forks got really worn out. It was very "aggressive". I did not use to 1st gear for sometime because it just never stay in there. Anyways listen who ever rebuild the trans and install it should look at it because they are the once who did it. If no mounts and shifter cables are in bad condition than that trans needs to come down. Does the trans whine when you drive in 1st gear or second?
I agree with this. This is common in older DSM trannies and the usual suspects are worn syncros as well as worn forks. I recommend for them open the tranny and correct that.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shifter bushings maybe
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:18 PM

bringing this back up i have the same problem but with REVERSE, it pops out some times. I dont see syncros for reverse wearing out before all of my forward gears. shift linkage or even bushings? anyone?

Quick Reply: Popping out of gear...WTF