Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Opinions on grounding kits?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on grounding kits?

i have a 03 evo with a long list of mods. i also have an aftermarket stereo system that includes a 1200watt amp for subs and 200 watt amp for mids/highs along with a dominic irragi alternator to help with the system. currently i have the oem mitsu grounding kit that i purchased when i got the car. i was wondering is it worth keeping and if there are better options? ive seen kits with a box from apexi and buddy club and was wondering how they are. appreciate the help as im considering removing the grounding kit.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

The current one you have should be good... Most people I know make their own DIY grounding kits. And works very well... But for newer cars they really don't do much. But considering yours and 03 might help you. I have this one on my car http://www.more-japan.com/product.ph...cat=253&page=1 ... bought it used from someone so I paid like 50$ for it. Don't really know if it made any difference.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostedXevo
The current one you have should be good... Most people I know make their own DIY grounding kits. And works very well... But for newer cars they really don't do much. But considering yours and 03 might help you. I have this one on my car http://www.more-japan.com/product.ph...cat=253&page=1 ... bought it used from someone so I paid like 50$ for it. Don't really know if it made any difference.
that one looks nice. im trying to clean up my engine bay and want to remove them since they dont look right with everything else, so its either replace them with a different color wire, get something like you have, or just fully remove it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Well I'm guessing you have the DIY ones. I gotta agree my SARD are clean. It's actually hiding and won't really notice it. I've seen the DIY ones on other people's engines... and those colored wires are kind of a mess lol. For older model cars the ground usually wears off (not sure if I am saying this right) thus why people have or need these on their cars.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I went to a stereo shop and they sold me about 20ft of 4 gauge wire for $20. I just measured to where i was gonna connect them and cut to length and bought connectors. so $30 got me a grounding kit that looks OEM and it works like all the other aftermarket ones out there. As in your case, the one you have is good. A grounding kit is a grounding kit. they all work the same.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ernald711
I went to a stereo shop and they sold me about 20ft of 4 gauge wire for $20. I just measured to where i was gonna connect them and cut to length and bought connectors. so $30 got me a grounding kit that looks OEM and it works like all the other aftermarket ones out there. As in your case, the one you have is good. A grounding kit is a grounding kit. they all work the same.
Correct.....and besides...a properly maintaind stock system is fine.

If you install one and notice a differance in preformance..you have a problem some place you should address
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

so removing it wont hurt anything then huh? also, what physical signs would i need to look for to make sure the grounding is ok without the kit?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Probably headlight would be a little dimmer haha... I noticed my headlights are brighter. Or maybe it's just me. Start up seems pretty strong too.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
so removing it wont hurt anything then huh? also, what physical signs would i need to look for to make sure the grounding is ok without the kit?
No, you might have a little more static when u slide outta your car and touch the frame.