Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

front axle how to? any extra how to tips or posts help.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front axle how to? any extra how to tips or posts help.

Ok, I've been trying to find a how to thread for front axle replacement with no success. Been getting help through PM's and wanted to get something universal for future reference.

So here's my last dilemma.

caliper, rotor and center hub bolt is off. Do I need to remove the knuckle of the hub to remove the axle and slide in the new one????

I'm faced with removing the both underneath the hub for the control arm, tie rod nut, and the 2 19 mm bolts where the strut is? Any help or direction would be great or forward me to the proper thread. I've looked through over 10 threads about axles and see to be hittin a wall.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

if you remove the lower bolt retaining the balljoint it will allow you to pull the knucle back enough to slide the axle out
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:38 PM

so I don't need to do anything with the strut bolts??????
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

nope, pop one clip lose from the wheel speed sensor harness and itll pull more than far enough back to slide the axle out. you really didnt need to remove the caliper and rotor, srry.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:42 PM

awesome...u've saved me haha i guess i like more work then neccessary...awesome thanks for the help will let u know how it finishes up when I finish tomorrow or Tuesday
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:48 PM

good info in here i need to change mine out too. to the OP why are you changing axles?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

i know the feeling. im in a bit of a pickle myself at the moment trying to source parts, haha.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:53 PM

cv boot is busted and it's making a knocking noise...better to just change axle then regrease and replace cv joint. Also just go to ebay and order one. Got it for 119 shipped and within 3 days of ordering. Don't spend nemore then $150 bc you don't need too
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:57 PM

yeah, got mine locally for 130 yesterday. same thing happened to me, cv boot ripped... i have no idea how though.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:52 AM
jos

i was trying to change one and i had to hit it with a hammer to get the axle out the hub, like it rust in.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostIt
cv boot is busted and it's making a knocking noise...better to just change axle then regrease and replace cv joint. Also just go to ebay and order one. Got it for 119 shipped and within 3 days of ordering. Don't spend nemore then $150 bc you don't need too
I would never buy an axle off of fleabay, you never know what quality or parts your going to get (although some are pretty good) and if I'm buying an axle I want it to hold power and last a long amount of time, I would have bought it from a dealer, plus, then you have no shipping. IMO at least
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bobster22388
i would never buy an axle off of fleabay, you never know what quality or parts your going to get (although some are pretty good) and if i'm buying an axle i want it to hold power and last a long amount of time, i would have bought it from a dealer, plus, then you have no shipping. Imo at least
+1
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

well if it somehow breaks on him again, at least he now knows not to take the caliper and rotor off
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:29 AM

true and truer haha If I f up I'll learn my lesson. I'll let you know how it holds up especially after I do some more track time this summer. Then if I did it the wrong way I'll say don't listen to the newb. I do love this forum though. Evom.net is my home away from home
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:29 PM

the axle will NOT come out of the knuckle. I've tried everything possible and its not budging at all. Any suggestions? I'm probably going to just tow the car to my local guy and say have fun. Everything I've read says it's easy to get out but I guess after 90K miles it's gonna be stubborn

Quick Reply: front axle how to? any extra how to tips or posts help.