Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

any mitsubishi techs on this site? i can't get my sunroof out of init mode

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any mitsubishi techs on this site? i can't get my sunroof out of init mode

So i had the common problem evo owners have with the sunroof (the one lone screw backing itself out over time). I followed the directions on this site and got my roof liner down low enough to screw it back up. Anyway the directions listed didn't work to to put the sunroof in initialization mode (when the sunroof has lost its stoping point and you need to reset it). Somehow it managed to get into it and the instructions to get it out of initialization definently don't work. I asked for help on both threads that were how too's but the post originators aren't responding. It's getting nicer and it would be nice to slide the sunroof back without having to inch it forward to shut it closed. There are others that have this problem as well.

Help please.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ripped mine out. No more sunroof problems, plus the car handles better. Good luck with yours.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
how di you cover the hole?
i got the same problem with my sunroof....
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is gonna be kinda long winded, but here goes.....

First off, the headliner will have to come down in its entirety.

The method i used was dropping the entire motor ( three screws ) , and while still plugged in, but off the guides I played with the switch that controls the roof till I got her to the closed position. You can here the motor do the tilt function, the long fully open phase etc. Find the closed position and disconnect it to get it out of your way.

Next go to the where the rails are for the sunroof. Where you dropped the motor from are two grooved bars if you will, that control movement of the sunroof opening and closing. The bars are grooved for the teeth of the gear. If your screw came loose it's a good chance you skipped a couple in the process. If you get a flat head and CAREFULLY move those bars back in forth you will see either side of the roof move.

Slide each side to ITS closed position by gently sliding the bars the appropriate way till they stop. Re attach the motor and give her a whirl BEFORE you put every thing back together.

I know this all sounds like non sense, but once you take down the headliner it all speaks for itself. Lemme know if you need pics of anything as I never put my headliner back in.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Punch it.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

@revvin9k

Getting it back on track isn't even the problem anymore......even if I go through all of that it will still be in "initialization" mode. I need to "kick it out" for lack of a better term
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I had this issue too.

Are you able to use the vent feature with out issue?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have to press the sunroof forward like I was trying to close the sunroof instead of pressing it in to pop the sunroof up to vent.....def. still in the initialization mode.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is what I did. Remove the motor, leave it electrically connected. Tap the button back once so it opens( or at least thinks it is). Hit it to close. Hit the button to vent and back to close. Now attach the motor back to the cable slots while having the sunroof in the closed position
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem on mine and found the solution on a BMW forum believe it or not.

While the car is running hold the center button, the one that tilts your roof up, in for over a minute. I held mine in for two just to be safe. Then release and the problem should be fixed.

Sounds dumb but it works.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nkryptd1
I had the same problem on mine and found the solution on a BMW forum believe it or not.

While the car is running hold the center button, the one that tilts your roof up, in for over a minute. I held mine in for two just to be safe. Then release and the problem should be fixed.

Sounds dumb but it works.
what year Evo did you have when you did this? Was it a Evo8/9 or a X?
Ive seen the BMW initialization videos but i wasntsure if that only worked on the Xs or what.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
here you go this is what i used when i did mine

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sunroof.html
Old Oct 21, 2017, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tbaird58
here you go this is what i used when i did mine

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sunroof.html
This is what i used, but i was still having problems. Im not even sure i heard the "Click" when its supposed to go Into Initialization mode. I havent tried for a minute tho bcuz the car has been in the shop so until i get it back tuesday, i have to just sit here and stress about it haha

The part that is confusing is that he says to hold the Close button down until its in the full tilt up position, but im not 100% about what "Tilt Up" position is. I know when you hold it down to close, after it stops, you press it in to tilt up, but I think that means that it's not in initialization mode. IDK... some people say that it took them a few times for it to work, i just hope thats the case. Otherwise, im doing something wrong for sure.

Last edited by WelDun1; Oct 27, 2017 at 11:01 AM.