Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Emergency Electrical Diagnoses Please (Dr. House Style)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i will do that...

My train of thought has been, try and solve the no power issues to the center console and that should solve everything else.

I am thinking about going and disconnecting most of the harness plugs that go to the lights, checking for shorts and voltage.

I am able to turn on the a/c but the compressor doesnt kick on and the light on the a/c button does not illuminate. There has to be a relay somewhere that controls power to all the lights, or a fuse that i am just missing.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Question...

If the ECU is bad...

Would that cause any of this ?

Looking at the circuit diagrams... for everything that says lights, headlights, fog lights, dome lights, flashers, the diagram starts with object, fuse and then front ecu to send the signal.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn Ric that sucks man... Sounds like a melted wiring harness somewhere...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Got in and inspected the wire nest under the hood fuse box, no noticeable burned wires. Under the dash i can smell a little bit of a burnt smell, but cant physically see anything at all. With the amount of fuses i destroyed, a little burning smell i believe is ok.

I still have the solid turn signal light on the right side both showing in the instrument panel and the outside fender light. The left turn signal operates normally. I still have no brake lights, no interior lights, no power to the cig lighter or radio.

I went thru the circuit diagrams for the car and every last one of them look as if they need a signal from the ECU in order to energize the relay. I dont know for sure though. Those schematics are a bit of a pain to read.

I just bought another ecu from the boards and it should be to me in a few days. I think swapping that out will help a lot of my problems go away as well as i'm sure that my bulbs on the right side will need to be changed.

The car still attempts to crank, but will not turn over and there is no spark.... which to me says ecu or ecu fuse, and since the fuses are good for sure, then that leaves me with the ecu. I just hope i'm right and plugging in another ecu wont be a bad thing.

Any other ideas floating out there ?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking your ecu is fried, On my buddies Civic SI some of his lights were blown out along with his car cranking but not starting. He took it to Honda and they said his ecu was fried from a short. Replaced ECU and everything is working fine now. Hopefully not your problem though.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm hoping it is. That is easy to diagnose. I have one coming now so we will see. If it's something else it's elusive
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone removed the ETACS-ECU ? If im reading this right, its the box that all of the fuses under the dash plug in to ? I have taken 1 screw off of it today and it only looked like 1 other screw holding it in and about 5 or 6 separate harnesses plugging in to it. This may be the problem as well. I'm not sure.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for the last post...

Anyone have any experience ?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

changed the etacs ecu... that fixed a lot of issues.

New symptoms now, things that shouldnt require the key to be on to work, need the key on. I think the column ecu is bad as well, but not sure. I need to get my hands on all of the ecus really lol. I'm making progress, but anyone else have any ideas ?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn dude, that sucks. Good luck getting it figured out, if you need an extra set of hands, let me know. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I'm down to help.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

i appreciate the offer... mechanics are nice to have, but what i need is an electrician lol. Or better, i need the damn mitsu scan tool that connects to the car and tells you everything that is wrong.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if the things are powering on with the key this tells you most likely that all your fuses are working. Most likely it's the other ecu. You said earlier that you couldn't connect to the ecu with your cable? Did you try now? any results? Yeah i'm just throwing some ideas out there. I would check over all fuses again to make sure nothing else blew when swapping out the etacs ecu.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I checked via multimeter to the 12v lines going in to the ecu for power and there isnt voltage present. If that ecu is toast, thats fine, i have a replacement, but i dont want to plug that in until i get the other issues ironed out first. Last thing i want to do is fry the next one.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
gotta be lupus
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when you melt a fuse, that is not the only thing you burnt. you said you smell some burnt stuff under the dash. i guarantee you melted some insulation off some of the wires. remove the harness, and check the friggin wires. when there is some magic smoke let out of the system, it's usually too much voltage for the wires to handle and they get hot real fast and melt insulation and are probably grounding or are burnt up. i know you did more damage than just a melted fuse.

Quick Reply: Emergency Electrical Diagnoses Please (Dr. House Style)