Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Importing a Lancer to the U.S for race, research, competition, etc...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2002, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, so basically i just need to write a 3 sentence letter stating that i am importing the vehicle for racing purposes only and have it sent to the NHTSA and the EPA? The customs broker should take care of everything else? DO you know how much a customs broker would normally charge for this service? You also said do not deal with the NHTSA but dont i have to get written approval from them before i can import the car? Also, what i meant by 15,000 dollars would be the cost of the vehicle imported to the Port of los angeles with all deregistration, land transportation, japanese customs fees paid. THen i would have to add on the 2.5% duty and also 150 dollar customs doc processing fee. Does this sound rite? Anyways, you've been really helpful with the info you've shared! Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:18 AM

-james

Yup.

Three sentances.

1. Your name, where you bought the car in VIN
2. Sole intent in use as race vehicle for (fill in your race series here)
3. Restate 1 and 2

2.5% is what your broker gets + the 150. Cars cost about $1000 to via from UK on a boat. It costs $900 to transport a car across the US on an open trailer.

$15K for all that? Someone is taking you to the cleaners. Buy the car from Ralliart in the UK or Spain. Sounds like you are balancing the trade deficit with Japan. Things cost more out of Japan. Why would you buy it from there?

A reputable (and I can't stress enough *knowledgeable*) broker will know what to do. The NHTSA does not have to see the car because it is for Race only. Why would they need to see the car if it is for racing?

IM me your #? I will call you.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:30 AM

hey, i tried to im u but either it didnt work or u didnt respond. Anyways, u can find me on aim with the user name "tg mister2". If you dont have aim, try im-ing me thru the forums. Thanx!
Old Jun 29, 2002, 06:14 AM

Name

Can some one git me the name of a broker in Los Angles Thanks Kevin