Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rear license plate falling off?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rear license plate falling off?

does anyone have this issue with the rear license plate falling off?
so i went to best buy today and parked my car. i got out, turned around, and realized my rear license plate is gone. i was thinking "wtf?!" i know i had my plate on yesterday night, so it has to have happened sometime between yesterday night when i parked my car in my driveway and when i got to best buy.
at first i thought it was stolen, but after thinking it through some more, i came to the conclusion that it most likely fell off. my car is parked in a tight driveway between 2 buildings with another car behind it at night, so it's pretty well concealed. if someone really wanted to steal a license plate, it would've been easier if they took it from the car behind me.
the license plate along with the 2 little things (sorry, i don't know what those are called) the plate screws onto is missing. looks like someone just yanked the plate off without unscrewing it or it fell off. i always wondered if those 2 things secures to the bumper well enough for the license plate. i've never had a problem for 4 years until now.
has anyone else had this problem before? any ideas on securing the license plate to the bumper? i'm thinking just 3m tape, but if anyone has any better ideas please let me know
Old May 7, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Mine popped off at an autocross event a couple of weekends ago, but it was prompted by a cone popping up and snagging it. I also have a plastic "spacer" kind of mount that keeps the metal plate off of the bumper, so the screws don't bite as well as they could.

It's only happened to me that once.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine fell out once while i was washing my car. those little plastic things just "pop" into the bumper. i got rid of them since i couldn't get them to stay in well enough for my liking. mine is screwed directly into the bumper, its a little off center but i can deal with that.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well if those little poppets holding in the screws become loose or come off I would imagine lol happens to my friend vr4 all the time
Old May 8, 2010, 08:35 PM

Those little black inserts are terrible... Mine came off a few weeks ago while i was up at a ski resort. Went riding for the day, came back and the plate was hangin on by 1 screw.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:23 AM

I can imagine you can buy new inserts and put them in. Double sided tape will work until the adhesive wears out and the plate falls off again.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:04 AM

why not just use two screws, two locking washers and two nuts...if the plate comes off with that holding it on someones taking it...
Old May 10, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

yup, using 3m tape for now. i'm thinking about screwing it onto the bumper too.
i wonder how much the dealership charges for those little black insert things
Old May 10, 2010, 04:24 AM

Id say an auto store should carry all the little pieces youll need to fasten it on there securely...
Old May 10, 2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by evil.evo
yup, using 3m tape for now. i'm thinking about screwing it onto the bumper too.
i wonder how much the dealership charges for those little black insert things
3M double sided tape should hold for a while. I've seen spoilers and lips get held up just by double sided tape. lol
Old May 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

My tag has been holding on by one of those lil plastic poppits for as long as I have had the car. They are available at autozone or whereever. One of mine just wont bite on the bumper hole. However, I havent ever lost it, and the one seems to hold tight for me.

I hadnt ever thought about just running a nut and bolt in there, that sounds like the best solution that you dont have to use goo gone on someday. If you wanted to be real tricky, you could even somehow glue a nut on the inside of the hole so you have something to thread into, and dont have to get behind the bumper everytime you have to change tags. (not that that happens often)
Old May 10, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by louism
why not just use two screws, two locking washers and two nuts...if the plate comes off with that holding it on someones taking it...
this sounds like the best bet if your having a problem of your plate falling off
Old May 10, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

very very interesting problem
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:36 PM

Smile License plate falling off...

My back plate was either stolen or it fell off..but, either way i fixed it by getting some toilet anchor bolts and some washers from HomeDepot. It was better than using those plastic inserts that are sold at the auto parts store..it worked for me.