Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just came across this obx fmic

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boostless
You say this, but people are swinging from the nuts of the home depot front lip like no other.

You could either guinea pig and pressure test it or get something from a reputable company...i would choose the latter
Yeah since front lips are a crucial performance part.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just pressure test the IC under water, mark the leaks (if any) and seal them.
For the record, my "high performance intercooler" had two leaks. I'm guessing they let it go because you couldn't do a weld repair because it was pretty deep within the core.
Garrett cores have leaks. All bar and plate cores have leaks from time to time.
Also, a tiny pin hole leak (champagne leak) will never make a difference.

One thing I will say, intercoolers from your reputable vendors, like the ones on here, fit a lot better than your generic no name ebay jobs.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BAD STI
Yeah since front lips are a crucial performance part.
Oh really? Guess youve never been to a track.

OP- The intercooler looks good. Id go for it.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:54 AM

MY friend bought one, it's better than the stock fmic but it gets heat soaked very quickly compared to a true garrett core etc.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur did a test a whiiiile back. Tested the ebay knock off vs his. Results: The knockoff did hold pressure however, at high boost levels the temperature severely increased compared to the Buschur core which defeated the purpose of the larger core intercooler which is to keep air temperatures low.

Do some searching and find that thread. Reading that caused me to save up and get a quality one. I went with an ETS 3.5" and very happy with it. You could get a high performance used one on here too.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

There is no simple answer. Not all IC's are created equal, ebay or otherwise. Your mileage may vary depending on the part YOU are looking at. You may get a real gem for a cheap price, or you may get exactly what you pay for. Take DB's testing with a grain of salt, it was one intercooler. You can avoid the gamble altogether by purchasing a name brand intercooler, of course. What's the gamble worth to you?

This is older than my underwear, but its still true most of the time:

Fast, cheap, reliable : Pick two.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:36 PM

I would look into Mishimoto
Old May 12, 2010, 12:48 PM

Forget about OBX. Their reputation is so god-awful that I'm surprised that they are even still in business. I figured they'd gone the way of Ractive and APC, but somehow someone in that company is still keeping it open.

Stay very far away from Mishimoto. A good friend used to be a local distributor and has had countless experiences of DOA thermostats, broken rad fins, cracked IC cores and generally poor workmanship, upon delivery. Even a part as simple as a thermostat ended up costing a customer his brand new rebuilt SR20DET after barely 200 kms of driving. It basically stuck itself shut, seized and away went his water pump, and soon after, the entire bottom end.

Save up for an ETS if you want something that is low-priced and proven in the evo community.

Or do it right the first time and get a garrett-cored kit. You will never regret paying a little more for significantly more quality.

And for the price of the OBX, you can get a real rare pair of vintage Jordan's :P
Old May 12, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

WHY SO MANY PEOPLE ARE SO OFFENCIVE THESE DAYS?? T67 single mkiv supra, 470whp in ur face, im just too lazy to edit my profile... Im a matter of fact this car had $100 intercooler with absolutly no problems, one of the supra guys tested em and with good results and run em on 800hp singled supras

Originally Posted by BBS
Why is a guy with a tiburon dropping knowledge? A heatsoaked, hot intercooler does nothing to "cool" your intake charge!
Old May 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys understand eBay is a market place it's not a brand. Obx xspower they are both name brands. They may not be ams or buschur but they will perform well on a street car. If you are building a purpose built race car then go for the $1000 dollar fmic that will give you that extra 10hp. To each their own.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wickedwhite8
do you guys understand ebay is a market place it's not a brand. Obx xspower they are both name brands. They may not be ams or buschur but they will perform well on a street car. If you are building a purpose built race car then go for the $1000 dollar fmic that will give you that extra 10hp. To each their own.
+1
Old May 13, 2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by wickedwhite8
do you guys understand ebay is a market place it's not a brand. Obx xspower they are both name brands. They may not be ams or buschur but they will perform well on a street car. If you are building a purpose built race car then go for the $1000 dollar fmic that will give you that extra 10hp. To each their own.
+2
Old May 13, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
Do you guys understand eBay is a market place it's not a brand. Obx xspower they are both name brands. They may not be ams or buschur but they will perform well on a street car. If you are building a purpose built race car then go for the $1000 dollar fmic that will give you that extra 10hp. To each their own.
I think everybody on the forums knows this.
eBay parts is pertty much slang for cheap parts from china that don't fit Or perform properly.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; May 13, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't put cheap parts on a $30,000+ Evo, if you can afford the car and insurance, you can afford a FMIC from a reputable brand. If you want something cheaper that is still good, I think ETS would be a good choice.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

ebay is ok for some things... just do your homework before you buy anything from anywhere, not just ebay. didnt someone just complain about how crappy lancershop was last week???

most of the problems ive heard with ebay fmic is the fit. if you can live with it and can make s*** work... go for it.

Quick Reply: Just came across this obx fmic