Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shep tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Not in Alaska anymore. In Kansas now. I wanted the push style clutch that is why I went with carbonetics plus there is 3 other evos running around town with that clutch having no problems and the shop that did the work is a carbonetics dealer

Last edited by Yamahar1; May 12, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You've probably damaged the transmission... time for a rebuild.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like many have said, I'm willing to bet that driving on an improperly adjusted clutch damaged the transmission. I'm sure Shep will work with you on the cost of the rebuild though..

I had a 1-2 grind with my ACT clutch on my brand new Shep trans, but it was a low-speed grind. I immediately adjusted the clutch and 1-2 was still shifting terribly at low rpms. The clutch then fell apart on the dyno (just like my friend's ACT fell apart at Lime Rock) a month later. I put an Exedy Single HD in and this clutch was HORRIBLE, as was the grinding (worse than the ACT) no matter how I adjsuted the damn thing.

Now, I have an Exedy Twin HD disk in; I raised the adjustment level, and its good now. NO grinding, albeit it is notchy still at low speeds sometimes, but I'll attribute that to fluid. I run sraight MT-90, no thinners (MTL or Synchromesh that i used to use w/ the ACT). Car is 90% track/autocross, 10% street driven.

Therefore, if you refresh your synchros, when you reinstall the trans w/ your new multi-disk clutch, you should (hopefully) have solved your problems.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
I see above some folk disliked ACT,,, i tell you that i never had one issue with my clutch, shifting at 500 rpms or 8k it did not matter it would go in without issues,, i was very cautious when i installed it, proper allignment, proper break in period and adjustment before i even got on the throttle.

however i believe you would prefer to get an exedy HD in that car, def call shep and tell him to check out the box.

you are in alaska and you know that your summer is my winter you get super cold there and barely warm up over 50s, metal expands and contracts with temp changes, therfore your parts are running on the tight side because of the extreme constant cold.

the exedy heavy duty clutch is pretty good also, plus no high rpm lockout!! trust me its better then the act hd ss
Old May 12, 2010, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
the exedy heavy duty clutch is pretty good also, plus no high rpm lockout!! trust me its better then the act hd ss
thats what i meant by HD , heavy duty.

ive been on many cars, running ACT HDSS, solid disk ACT, Tilton, excedy, stock clutch,,,, and best bang for your buck is ACT HDSS on the stock flywheel.

Last edited by apagan01; May 13, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

2 weeks after I got the trans back 4th failed. No abuse. I was breaking in the car. Had it redone and it never shifted good. terrible quality. 1 year later bearings failed. Went with OEM trans and never been happier!!!!

He told me he has a guy who puts them together after hours(how good could that be)

just my.2
Old May 12, 2010, 05:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 190hpkilla
2 weeks after I got the trans back 4th failed. No abuse. I was breaking in the car. Had it redone and it never shifted good. terrible quality. 1 year later bearings failed. Went with OEM trans and never been happier!!!!

He told me he has a guy who puts them together after hours(how good could that be)

just my.2
who puts what together after hours, shep trans his tranny's ???
Old May 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
thats what i meant by HD , heavy duty.

ive been on many cars, running ACT HDSS, solid dick ACT, Tilton, excedy, stock clutch,,,, and best bang for your buck is ACT HDSS on the stock flywheel.
Hey you said it buddy.

"Solid dick" huh?
Old May 12, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Before you put the trans in, did you have the same problems?
Old May 12, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Its your clutch. I bet you're revving past 7500 RPM or so and if you short shifted the transmission on your 1-2 or 2-3 shift you would make it without grinding.

I went threw the SAME drama that you're experiencing with my car.

I rebuilt my gear box, SS clutch line, Exedy twin disc, removed restrictor pill, tried Redline Shockproof AND MTL/MT-90... car still wouldn't shift above 8000rpms...ESPECIALLY the 1-2 shift. The issue lies with in the rotational inertia of the clutch disc. (and the undesputed FACT that ACT clutches plain suck the d!ck when it comes to Evo's)

My solution for you... put the factory juice back in the box... GET A NEW CLUTCH.

I would recommend the Quarter Master 7.25" clutch...or if you want a more streetable clutch...the Exedy Twin (although you will still be limited on your 1-2 shift...it will be CONSIDERABLY better than your current ACT)

Trust me...I've wasted enough money chasing this one around. When you pull your transmission to do the clutch... replace your 2nd gear syncro and your 1-2 slider.... check your hub for wear.
I would listen to this guy! I have had some of the same issues and gone through all of the same motions. Shifts great with a quartermaster up to and beyond 9k with almost 30k on my shep trans. ACT SUCKED, Exedy had 1-2 problems QM has been the best shifting of them all, just a little more aggressive for the street. Sounds like you might have F'd the tranny up, and I know from first hand experience Shep will go above and beyond for his customers. Always has for me. Good luck and post your findings.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostwhore
sounds like the syncros may have wore out some due to improperly adjusted clutch. If the clutch does not release all the way it causes more wear on the syncros.
+1
Old May 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I myself have a shep trans, act 6puck, gruppe-s flywheel, br underhood shifter bushings, ams upper and lower clutch lines and my car shifts amazing at any rpm. Made multiple passes at the track and still runs just as good as the day I had everything installed. I dont understand why so many people are having this problem.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Hey you said it buddy.

"Solid dick" huh?
wow you are quick to catch those

i am going to blame it on my darn HTC phone !
Old May 13, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My TRE trans shifts great. Running MT90 and an Exedy twin. . . Maybe check with TRE for your next rebuild?
Old May 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
My TRE trans shifts great. Running MT90 and an Exedy twin. . . Maybe check with TRE for your next rebuild?
umm my TRE lasted me like 5k miles haha

Quick Reply: Shep tranny problems