Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bored today so painted rims/calipers...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=monkey_187;8435277]I think they look good, all you need now is to get the decals on. Dont listen to the negative comments, its making your car unique not making it look like all the other Evos out there. When people see something original their quick to say dumb s**t like that. Here is a picture of mine done with engine paint, ask me if I care what people say. I got more compliments for being original than negative comments.

Yours look great for sure, I was able to match my BBY paint with some engine enamal blue from duplicolor and its insane how well it matches. I need to get a pic up. But I really like yours, its different so it deserves
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:00 PM

It really stand out, now you have to wax them everyday. I like.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

after 12 grueling hrs, i finally have everything completed...
sry for the crappy iphone pics

Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rotarypower8
the black calipers with red stickers looks great! im not sure how big of a fan i am of the yellow, but my opinion could change with some black brembo stickers to soften all the yellow
yeh they should be here in about a week so ill update the pics when they get put on.

Originally Posted by thomas.featsent
Yeah mine looking like crap right now thinking about getting powder coated too. But this don't look bad at all. I have yellow evo with black powder coated mr wheels and want to do yellow brakes already got black decals for the powder coat guy. But might look into this instead. Did you take the brakes off. Or I was thinking a off color like something that match the yellow like blue, red or something.
i left the brakes on, i just used newspaper and taped off everything i didnt want to get sprayed...
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

i like it, it came out good nice job!!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mullski
i like it, it came out good nice job!!
thnx man!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

I only have 2 criticisms....first off- your painted your wheels with the tires still mounted? And second, you painted OVER your wheels weights?! If you hadn't done this I think the outcome would have been good...as for me it just looks like a hack job. Calipers did turn out nice, although I'm sure those got sprayed on the car... I guess if it's me, do it right, not half-assed.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JFuego777
I only have 2 criticisms....first off- your painted your wheels with the tires still mounted? And second, you painted OVER your wheels weights?! If you hadn't done this I think the outcome would have been good...as for me it just looks like a hack job. Calipers did turn out nice, although I'm sure those got sprayed on the car... I guess if it's me, do it right, not half-assed.
a deck of playing cards is more than substantial to cover off the tire to paint the rim.... and the weights, yeh it was about 100 outside today and realized after i painted em, but whatever it came out decent... also if u could read the previous posts and not "HALF ***" ur way to the end of the thread to throw in un-needed criticism, i mentioned earlier that i covered off everything to paint the calipers ON the car... i didnt know spending 12 hrs prepping, priming, and doing everything by the book, even step by step in the "how to" posted on this forum is considered half assed... i could care less what u think, u have the time and money to spend removing tires, calipers, etc... and have another car as a DD then do what u please, but its my only car and i needed it done in less than a day

Last edited by white_evo27; Jun 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Did you clear coat the rims afterwards ? if not, I would recommend it, it made a noticeable difference on mine, it evens out the finish. If the clear coat gets too thick it turns white, which you can fix with a heat gun. If you're getting into painting stuff, I would also highly recommend painting the headlight housings black. It's very easy, I took mine apart with a heat gun in about 3 minutes each. I did that on mine and it looks 100 times better than the crappy OEM chrome.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

I personally believe there sexy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

a deck of playing cards is more than substantial to cover off the tire to paint the rim.... and the weights, yeh it was about 100 outside today and realized after i painted em, but whatever it came out decent... also if u could read the previous posts and not "HALF ***" ur way to the end of the thread to throw in un-needed criticism, i mentioned earlier that i covered off everything to paint the calipers ON the car... i didnt know spending 12 hrs prepping, priming, and doing everything by the book, even step by step in the "how to" posted on this forum is considered half assed... i could care less what u think, u have the time and money to spend removing tires, calipers, etc... and have another car as a DD then do what u please, but its my only car and i needed it done in less than a day
I didn't want to start an argument...but most places will remove the tires from the wheels for $10 a tire, and then you could have pulled the weights off and done it right...not to mention it would have saved you a lot of prep time not having to protect the tires. I never said they look bad, I like the look, but to me, painting over your wheel weights is half assed, I'm sorry if you don't agree. You can't expect to put a thread up like this and not get criticism you don't like. I wasn't being mean about it, just stating my opinion.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I think they look good man!! If he took the weights off and the tire off the rim. That is another $120 to get them remounted on the rim and balanced! To me they look good the way they are! If you have the extra money to do that then that is better but I still don't believe it is half assed!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by endemic
Nothing wrong with painting your rims or Brembo's as long as you use VHT caliper paint
I sprayed mine black with VHT and there are already noticeable chips in places. Oh well.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JFuego777
I didn't want to start an argument...but most places will remove the tires from the wheels for $10 a tire, and then you could have pulled the weights off and done it right...not to mention it would have saved you a lot of prep time not having to protect the tires. I never said they look bad, I like the look, but to me, painting over your wheel weights is half assed, I'm sorry if you don't agree. You can't expect to put a thread up like this and not get criticism you don't like. I wasn't being mean about it, just stating my opinion.
ur not the 1st person to criticize believe me, im not lookin to argue but it really wasnt half assed other than the weights which i didnt remove cuz i already painted em and the rims were drying...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endemic
Did you clear coat the rims afterwards ? if not, I would recommend it, it made a noticeable difference on mine, it evens out the finish. If the clear coat gets too thick it turns white, which you can fix with a heat gun. If you're getting into painting stuff, I would also highly recommend painting the headlight housings black. It's very easy, I took mine apart with a heat gun in about 3 minutes each. I did that on mine and it looks 100 times better than the crappy OEM chrome.
yeh thats the next project when i come back from vegas and pick my car up from Ivey

Quick Reply: bored today so painted rims/calipers...