Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil Leaking Around Exhaust Manifold Stud???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leaking Around Exhaust Manifold Stud???

I am having some trouble with my evo as of recently. It is smoking quite a bit and i know its oil cause of the blue hint to it.

I originally had my stock 8 turbo on and i fig the oil seals were shot. (it sat in my garage for 2.5 yrs.) So i bought a used evo 9 turbo off of a working evo so i knew that it was good.

Second... i have a 4g64 build with a built and ported cyl head and it has new valve seals and when i put the motor together i used a cometic hd. So i fig that it blew which it did (oil and coolant on the pistons when i pulled the head), so i bought a Power Enterprise HD. A little bit less smoke, but it does smoke alot still.)

I believe that oil is seeping through the exhaust manifold studs. I have ARP SS Studs and bolt kit. I believe this because when i took my manifold off there is oil around the flange to the turbo and obviously alot in the turbo itself. But there is NONE in the cyl head. Also there is oil around the flange of the manifold itself were its bolted to the head.

Has anyone heard of this? i know that the studs stick into the oil drain holes in the cylinder head so I literally just got done putting some threadlocker on the studs and reinstalled them to help block the threads if that is were it actually is coming from. so now i just gotta wait.

Does anyone else have any ideas? If this still dosent work im lost at what to do. And the engine as ALL NEW OEM gaskets so i definatly know its not coming from the valve cover cause that would just be too easy lol...

Thanks for any help!!!