Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering wheel shaking after 65mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that's the way my wheels were balanced. The weights were only o one side where as my winter wheels have weights on both sides. I think I'm gonna bring it to another shop but I just don't know who to trust now lol. I don't want this problem to come back if I bring my wheels else where.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its probably not a trust/lazy issue... dynamic balancers are expensive and small shops probably have older static balancers... just go to a franchise shop like sears, pep boys, sts and tell them u want ur wheels balanced dynamic. ... hope this info helps! ...

shaking is not an alignment issue. shaking may be caused by bad tires/wheel bearings/bent rim/cupping of tires, all WHICH can cause alignment issues.

Last edited by imajinmyfx; Jul 26, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to go get my shiet balanced.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

I had the wheels balanced at a local tire warehouse. The shaking is gone now since I rotated the wheels. It isn't a bent wheel since I bought a new wheel and the wheel bearings are fine. Now that the wheel that caused the shaking is in the rear, could that cause any problems in the long run for the rear diff or any part of the drivetrain?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 19DB794
it also drove fine with the curbed rim which makes me believe the balancing is off.
There you go. Get all 4 wheels balanced at another shop and make sure they do it right. One of the weights might have fallen off from the previous balance.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Now that the wheel that caused the shaking is in the rear, could that cause any problems in the long run for the rear diff or any part of the drivetrain?
from experience and working with AWD's @ work i wouldn't worry about a bent rim in the back. some say its bad but won't give you a legitimate reason why. i've never had an AWD car come back saying they have problems with a bent wheel in the back. unless its a HUGE bend.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:42 PM

u mite of fed up ur alignment or u need ur wheels balanced
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imajinmyfx
from experience and working with AWD's @ work i wouldn't worry about a bent rim in the back. some say its bad but won't give you a legitimate reason why. i've never had an AWD car come back saying they have problems with a bent wheel in the back. unless its a HUGE bend.
None of the wheels are bent. They're in mint condition. I replaced a wheel that had curb rash and that was all. I just dont know if having a bad tire or a wheel that wasnt balanced properly can cause any problems in the long run but for the most part, everyone I asked has said no.

Originally Posted by evonam07
u mite of fed up ur alignment or u need ur wheels balanced
I think the alignment is fine. The car doesnt pull to either side and now that the wheels have been rotated, the car is back to normal. I had 2 wheels balanced about 2 days ago so I'm probably gonna bring them to my buddy's dad's shop to have him double check.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

None of the wheels are bent. They're in mint condition. I replaced a wheel that had curb rash and that was all. I just dont know if having a bad tire or a wheel that wasnt balanced properly can cause any problems in the long run but for the most part, everyone I asked has said no.

oh ok .. wopz. all this talking about bent rims/curb rash/unbalanced got me confused...

one more thing that is over looked. ....

if you look @ the side wall of the tire. it might be a yellow or red dot on the side... make sure the dot lines up with the valve stem.. the red dot indicates the point of maximum force-variation; it should be aligned with the point on the wheel that's physically lowest.

usually, wheel manufacturers will drill the valve-stem hole at the lowest point on the wheel, so you should align the red dot with the valve stem.

the YELLOW dot indicates the lightest part of the tire, also known as "maximum force variation." it should be lined up with the heaviest part of the wheel - the valve stem.

the heaviest part of the wheel is the valve stem area b/c it has to be strong to compensate for the valve hole. ... tires are reinforced WHERE THE VALVE STEM SHOULD LINE UP WITH. so if ur valve stem is on one side of the wheel and the reinforced part of the tire is completely on the other side it will throw off you balance.

Last edited by imajinmyfx; Jul 27, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

May be stupid and unrelated but i had a HORRIBLE wheel vibration through the steering wheel (which vibrated enough for me to think it was the whole car). It wasnt a bad rim or tire but was the flimsy bracket holding the steering colum to the rack. It had loosened some how. It might be worth a free check
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I just checked right now and my tires don't have dots. They may have at one point but they are about 3 years old lol. I did notice however, a small triangle that is pretty much stamped into the tire and on 3 out of the 4 wheels they lined up with the valve stem but the one wheel it didn't line up on was never touched. I'm not sure if those triangles mean anything but I figured id just throw it out there. I also inspected the tire that's mounted to the wheel that was causing all the problems and it seems perfectly fine. No uneven wear or any damage what so ever.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evonewb29
May be stupid and unrelated but i had a HORRIBLE wheel vibration through the steering wheel (which vibrated enough for me to think it was the whole car). It wasnt a bad rim or tire but was the flimsy bracket holding the steering colum to the rack. It had loosened some how. It might be worth a free check
The vibration and wheel shaking is now gone since I rotated the tires but thank you for the suggestion.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bent wheel, join the club.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

The only issue with that is the fact that its a brand new bbs wheel. Unless it was damaged during shipping, it shouldn't be bent. I also didn't notice any damage on the wheel when installing it.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

does it get worse on certain road condition? Mine is doing the same, but when I get to a rough road condition I notice it more. Had alignment done a couple time in the past, but it was only a little bit better. Still get shaky steering wheel. I think you'll notice more on the evo. Every thing you ran over, you'll notice more impacts from it than other car. just what I experienced

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shaking after 65mph