Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Def do the bushings, both sets. Like others said it makes a very noticeable difference and the car actually is more enjoyable to shift. I installed mine a couple weeks ago.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thats weird, mine feels very tight and precise. I agree the throws could be a smudge shorter though. I installed some bushings on an MR2 I had once, and it did make a world of difference. Good luck
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:33 PM

Well this knob is by far the best $95 i have spent in a LONG LONG time! I also believe i have found a stock 6-speed shifter to mess around with!

If i manage to get a "normal" short shifter for the 6-speed made (that replaces the shifting lever and not the linkage) how many people would be interested? Of course if i can make it at a reasonable price? What would a reasonable price be to you?

Thanks, Trever
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

I thought I read on one of the 6 speed threads that the works short shifter caused tranny problems. Maybe it's just me, but my tranny seems to shift fine.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:41 AM

post a link to this forum you talk about. I want to read about these tranny problems that a short shifter causes.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:50 PM

BUMP for the link!

Shifter is on its way! Cant wait to get modifying and re-designing!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:00 PM

would anyone be interested in a shifter like this? A short throw, shortened, moved back shifter for the EVO 6-speed!? The short throw part is pretty self explanatory. By shortened i mean just shortening the top of the lever. i dont like how high the shifter is just for cosmetic reasons. And by moved back, this would be optional, but for my seat placement and arm length the shifter is just to far forward for me! Not by much, just an inch or so but i would move it back just so i dont have gear missing issues!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought WORKS only sells them if you go there? Did they change it now?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

How much does WORKS charge?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:33 PM

Works is an in house install only (this includes works registered shops). The cost is $199 for the shifter (linkage) and install. If you want to keep the stock linkage they charge an additional $200 core charge.

Mine will NOT be an in house install! I will ship it out to ANYONE!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well then im totaly intrested, pls pm me once you get all the kinks worked out, i think its so ****ty that works only does the mr6speed short shifter in house only. Not everyone who owns an mr evo lives in cali. So like i said as soon as you get it all figured out please let me know.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
well then im totaly intrested, pls pm me once you get all the kinks worked out, i think its so ****ty that works only does the mr6speed short shifter in house only. Not everyone who owns an mr evo lives in cali. So like i said as soon as you get it all figured out please let me know.
Not true... Works has several authorized installers across the country, but probably not Hawaii. For us in SoCal, their previous authorized installer, EDO Performance, no longer does maintenance and installs. Best to call Works directly to see if there's an authorized installer in your area.

When I spoke with Works a couple weeks ago, they were looking for another shop in SoCal to do authorized installations.

Trev... I really like what you're doing! It's would be great if the MR community has another option out there. Keep up the good work!

J. Church

Originally Posted by Trever007
Works is an in house install only (this includes works registered shops). The cost is $199 for the shifter (linkage) and install. If you want to keep the stock linkage they charge an additional $200 core charge.

Mine will NOT be an in house install! I will ship it out to ANYONE!
$199 was their intro price several years back... with shifter bushings and the shifter install is now over $400.

Last edited by churchja; Aug 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

im def intrested in a short shifter for the MR!!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ9MR
^ Hi Joe. No it does not come with any bushings...But, they are worth getting! I got all that WORKS offers: The shifter mechanism that sits over the trans & ALL their bushings and I am totally satisfied with the end result. (My car is a daily driver) I would do this again in a second! -Howard.
I agree...his shifter feels awesome...if I planned on keeping my 6 spd I would definitely look into the Works shifter...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:33 PM

Last I talked to Works they told me it is $199 for the shifter and install and $200 core charge if you want to keep the original linkage. This was about a month ago. But best way to find out is just call and ask them! They will know best!

My stock shifter to play with is still on the way. Should be here this week! So hopefully i will have a working prototype by the end of next month some time!

Quick Reply: Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod