Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested. Also, where is the closest WORKS distributor authorized for this service near North New Jersey?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bet is to call them for any questions regarding there product. The reason i say this is not cause i dont know the answer (well at least i did) but every time i talk to them the info changes! So i dont wanna give you the wrong info for today. Ya know?

Also for the up date. Have the stock shifting lever all drawn up and ready to modify. Now i just need to find time to look in the car and see how much i can move things and still have sufficient clearance. I am also thinking of other options to significantly shorten the throw if i cant do it the originally planed way. Like stated before the option WILL be available to ANYONE who wants it. All im trying to figure out now is how im going to do it and how time consuming and complicated it will be so i can come up with a price. The first thing i am going to do is shorten the shifter (literally) for a sportier look and im also going to do something with the reverse lock out to make it look better.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
I'm interested. Also, where is the closest WORKS distributor authorized for this service near North New Jersey?

The closest place is Bell MITSUBISHI, in Rahway, NJ., (Not Bergen County, but only 45 minutes away...) attention Mike Ko. He is an official WORKS Dealer. Tell him 'Howard D.' sent you!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would a mitsu dealer sell/install a short shifter?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

PM'd you
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:42 PM

well i am still working on this but it is going a little slower than i had hoped. It will be done! I am going to shorten the shifter (pretty easy just as long as i can easily shorten the reverse lock out set-up). I am than going to try an make the shifter a short throw in a more conventional style. if this is deemed impossible i will than go about it the same way that Works does. Hopefully i can do it cheaper!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name:  DSC00781.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  42.7 KB
Name:  DSC00783.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  41.4 KB

Just make sure to put it back together perfectly in line or it will bind, causing the lock out lever to stick. If you do it correctly, it will provide years of perfect operation.

You pretty much have to use the stock setup. Machining of a new lock out lever was going to run me around $500, just for the lever! Where the two pieces slide into each other was the main reason for the high cost. Those two parts have to mate perfectly.

I've done about 10 of them so far locally and to my knowledge all of them are still working perfectly.
I had to shorten mine. I'm 5'11" and have an upright back rest preference. Every time I would shift into 2nd and 4th, my elbow would hit the side bolster. Drove me crazy! Everyone I let drive me car loved it and it just went from there.
Make sure you buy a few spares. If you mess a part up it's not like you can get one from Mitsu. You have to buy the whole assembly!

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by E MAN
where can i get these shifter bushings
I have a set of the under hood bushings if you're interested.

Originally Posted by Trever007
well i am still working on this but it is going a little slower than i had hoped. It will be done! I am going to shorten the shifter (pretty easy just as long as i can easily shorten the reverse lock out set-up). I am than going to try an make the shifter a short throw in a more conventional style. if this is deemed impossible i will than go about it the same way that Works does. Hopefully i can do it cheaper!
Keep us posted. Definitely interested in reducing the length and throw.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

im guessing no more news on this??
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:09 AM

i dident give up! Hrs at work just got extended so i have less time to work on it as i am now working 12hrs a day! It is still making progress and i will keep you all posted when i have something to show! Thanks, Trever
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:22 PM

Sounds like a lot of work for little gain. Whatever floats your boat. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:59 AM

sorry guys! A lot of stuff goin on! Its still on my mind! Its going get done
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I too thought of diy-ing a short throw. Until I saw the shifting mechanism. Goodluck man!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:31 AM

def the worst designed shifter ive ever seen! But it will be done!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:19 PM

i wanna know how it works out

Quick Reply: Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod