Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

opinions please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 68FBODY
Sounds like you know NOTHING about srt-4's. I have owned one and yes they are WRONG WHEEL DRIVE. But like any car you CAN make them handle respectively fairly cheap. Money for power the srt takes the cake. stock vs stock the srt will eat a evo from a roll. The srt only wieghs 2800lbs. and is a torque monster, but have fun trying to find one that has not been abused! You can get a respectable srt for around 10k, and save the rest for mods! if you have any questions pm me about the cars, i know just about everything about them. also for those that think they are slow.....my srt with just a cut out and CAI went door and door with my friends 350rwhp 01 cobra! also here is a link of my STOCK srt vs his cobra. ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_bx_mIWxjI

And just to verify his car is not just slow here is another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMPEKUvfi70
this is perfect haha they arent bad cars at all, yea the evo is better in a sense but you cant beat its price on things. Its gonna be a hard choice
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

SRT4's are decent cars for a cheap price and in my opinion dyno queens but thats about it...in my opinion they can never be compared to an EVO...the EVO will outperform the SRT4 in both a drag race or on a road course (granted there are certain exceptions when mass amounts of money have been thrown into the SRT4)
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:18 PM

to be honest it'll come down to what you want out of a car.
This will be my little comparison, seeing as i used to know a fair share of people with SRT-4s

SRT-4 can make big power for decently cheap, i have known some people with ones hitting 11s without much effort. The issue with these cars is as soon as you touch the wheel in any direction, possible bad news bears everywhere. They are definitely go straight fast cars, but as someone stated earlier that can always be improved, probably not to the ability of the evo though imo. For me personally, there are too many negatives associated with the SRT4s. Yes, they make or can make great power, but on the factory i think it is 6 inch rim and FWD, basically anything above 300hp is useless unless you upgrade the wheels/tires to something that can stick. The sound of these cars is sick though, with the crackling and such, they definitely do some head turning, even for me.

Evo is an amazing car having owned one for about a year. AWD vs FWD is no comparison, AWD is more fun hands down. If you arent going to get an AWD car, at least get a RWD car so you can have some fun. The aftermarket supply for these cars is well established with great variety that can fit any man/woman's taste. A thing that blew my mind recently about mine which made me even more glad that i own one is i took a road trip to ohio and back from north carolina, and through the mountains i achieved 29 mpg, 29!!!!! on a 350hp monster(in my eyes lol, i know not compared to those guys pushing 500+).

Basically in a nut-shell, both cars make great power, both cars are comfortable sedans, both can be pretty fun street cars. If you have any interest in road courses or auto-x, evo is for you. If you are okay with going fast and straight, SRT4 is for you.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:23 PM

Another cool thing about the SRTs that i forgot to mention, I'm not sure about how you guys do things in jersey, but in Ohio, because there were so few SRT-4s produced, they are considered collector cars and are eligible for collector plates, meaning no emissions testing or anything
something to think about possibly
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:57 PM

yeah, when it comes to just the car, Ohio has tons of plates and regulations. Historic plates can be purchased if the car is over 20 or 25 years old, collector plates can be purchased if there were too few of a car produced or if you have invested over i think $5000 in modifications. For evos these plates would be kind of useless because i think they have limitations on mileage per year or something, and most people drive the **** out of evos, rightfully so.

It's more of a classic muscle car thing.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

i honestly dont see the point of this thread... anyone who knows the 2 cars can tell you that the EVO out performs the SRT in every which way... im not saying i wouldnt own one, i been looking for one as a fun daily driver, but i would never choose one over an EVO...

srts are cool cars, and they have potential, my friends sits at 800whp right now, but guess what? it sits on his driveway like a lawn ornament because the slightest tap of the gas pedal and ur all over the road... its just not practical to have that much HP on FWD unless its a track car only...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTim06
SRT4's are decent cars for a cheap price and in my opinion dyno queens but thats about it...in my opinion they can never be compared to an EVO...the EVO will outperform the SRT4 in both a drag race or on a road course (granted there are certain exceptions when mass amounts of money have been thrown into the SRT4)
Oh no, the evo is better in everyway (except price wise) haha i just need something thats fast for the streets and good as DD, the srt4 would be my way to go if i wanted to save money. I just want opinions from evo guys haha
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by InSw1TcHeDFlame
to be honest it'll come down to what you want out of a car.
This will be my little comparison, seeing as i used to know a fair share of people with SRT-4s

SRT-4 can make big power for decently cheap, i have known some people with ones hitting 11s without much effort. The issue with these cars is as soon as you touch the wheel in any direction, possible bad news bears everywhere. They are definitely go straight fast cars, but as someone stated earlier that can always be improved, probably not to the ability of the evo though imo. For me personally, there are too many negatives associated with the SRT4s. Yes, they make or can make great power, but on the factory i think it is 6 inch rim and FWD, basically anything above 300hp is useless unless you upgrade the wheels/tires to something that can stick. The sound of these cars is sick though, with the crackling and such, they definitely do some head turning, even for me.

Evo is an amazing car having owned one for about a year. AWD vs FWD is no comparison, AWD is more fun hands down. If you arent going to get an AWD car, at least get a RWD car so you can have some fun. The aftermarket supply for these cars is well established with great variety that can fit any man/woman's taste. A thing that blew my mind recently about mine which made me even more glad that i own one is i took a road trip to ohio and back from north carolina, and through the mountains i achieved 29 mpg, 29!!!!! on a 350hp monster(in my eyes lol, i know not compared to those guys pushing 500+).

Basically in a nut-shell, both cars make great power, both cars are comfortable sedans, both can be pretty fun street cars. If you have any interest in road courses or auto-x, evo is for you. If you are okay with going fast and straight, SRT4 is for you.
Alright thanks. Both cars are good but the main reason im worried is because if i did anything to an srt then i would have bad traction compared to an evo with 500 hp.You really cant have that much hp for an srt haha. But im pretty sure you cant go that wrong with either one of these cars. Ill have to test drive both and 29 mpg?? thats sick
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by white_evo27
i honestly dont see the point of this thread... anyone who knows the 2 cars can tell you that the EVO out performs the SRT in every which way... im not saying i wouldnt own one, i been looking for one as a fun daily driver, but i would never choose one over an EVO...

srts are cool cars, and they have potential, my friends sits at 800whp right now, but guess what? it sits on his driveway like a lawn ornament because the slightest tap of the gas pedal and ur all over the road... its just not practical to have that much HP on FWD unless its a track car only...
The whole point to this was because i need opinions from people other than just srt 4 owners. I wanted an all around opinion. because some people on this forum might have came from an srt4 and then to an evo. I just want opinions lol. But either way ill probably end up with an 06 evo. but thanks for your opinion and yea no doubt an evo all the way haha but there decent for a DD so is an evo though.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

I owned an 04 Srt 4 for a couple years, and now own an 06 Evo. The Srt was decently quick, responded well to mods and overall was a pretty fun car. The more power I made in the Srt, the more I began to dislike it. Traction became a huge issue even with good tires and wider rims. It got to the point where the Srt was not fun to drive in wet conditions, and flooring it under 30 mph literally just broke the tires loose even in dry conditions. I traded the Srt in for the Evo and never looked back. The Evo handles far better, the steering is far better, it makes excellent gains with mods and most importantly for me has traction in every gear.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

If I needed to get rid of the evo, I would get an SRT-4.

As far as handling goes, obviously no evo, but I recall riding along at an HPDE last year with my instructor in a new M3 and following another instructor (in an SRT-4) through a set of turns, I was watching the SRT go around in tri-pod mode, it was awesome, haha. I did find it amusing an instructor for bmwcca was driving an srt-4.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by cs82685
If I needed to get rid of the evo, I would get an SRT-4.

As far as handling goes, obviously no evo, but I recall riding along at an HPDE last year with my instructor in a new M3 and following another instructor (in an SRT-4) through a set of turns, I was watching the SRT go around in tri-pod mode, it was awesome, haha. I did find it amusing an instructor for bmwcca was driving an srt-4.

I have seen this before too. I was at a light in my Celica and an srt4 was behind me. We were turning left and I made mine full throttle no problem(keep in mind celicas are pretty slow, especially the low end on an automatic), look in my side view mirror and the srt was on 3 wheels, I just laughed.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:10 AM

Srt-4 looks like a crappy car. FWD kinda sux. It is a fast car, but the Evo is a mans car.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a pretty fast car but at the end of the day, Evo >>>>>>>>>>> SRT 4.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoMeIX
I owned an 04 Srt 4 for a couple years, and now own an 06 Evo. The Srt was decently quick, responded well to mods and overall was a pretty fun car. The more power I made in the Srt, the more I began to dislike it. Traction became a huge issue even with good tires and wider rims. It got to the point where the Srt was not fun to drive in wet conditions, and flooring it under 30 mph literally just broke the tires loose even in dry conditions. I traded the Srt in for the Evo and never looked back. The Evo handles far better, the steering is far better, it makes excellent gains with mods and most importantly for me has traction in every gear.
^^i'd have to agree. i owned a 03 srt4 up until april of this year when i sold it. i also have a 06 evo9 that i bought over 2 years ago, and the plan was to have the srt4 as the dd/back up car for me and my fiancee. that didn't last long as i feel more and more in love with my evo and the way the car rides and shifts. don't get me wrong, i loved my srt4 when that was my dd, but you really can't compare the two. its like apples to oranges IMO.
it was a fun car to drive. only had stage 1 and a few other simple bolt-ons on but i couldn't get any traction either until 3rd gear.

after going from fwd to awd, i will never own another fwd again but thats from my own experience.
g/l

kristin

Last edited by EvoIX Beauty; Sep 22, 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: opinions please