Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GReddy Boost Gauge Pegged

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GReddy Boost Gauge Pegged

I got in my car tonight while I was out and noticed my boost gauge was pegged past 2.0 kg/cm (all the way off into the GReddy emblem). I turned my car off and back on again and nothing moved, just stayed there. When I began to drive and hit slight boost again, it began working again OK. I have a GReddy 52mm Electronic Boost Gauge, stock boost with no boost controllers. Everything has been working fine up to this point. Kinda of scared me that I hit some sort of boost spike, but if that was the case wouldn't the ECU shut the boost down or register a CEL? Has this happened to anyone else? Was this a fluke thing and it registered some sort of anomally? Thoughts guys?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Bump

Anyone Bueller Anyone ?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say a boost guage problem, if you had a boost control problem like that you would have hit fuel cut.

Keith
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

with any electronic gauges, from my experience, there is a lot more potential for problems. stepping motors, electronic sensors... all have a potential to lead to problems when they are basically attempting to perform a simple operation like measure boost, EGT, Oil pressure.

I have never ever had a problem with a mechanical gauge. They are simple, and they perform their function as they should. typically with no headaches or issues.

just my .02
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Did you make sure you installed the little oriface in the input line of the fuel reg boost line? I have the same gauge and never noticed a problem like that.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Quickshift
Did you make sure you installed the little oriface in the input line of the fuel reg boost line? I have the same gauge and never noticed a problem like that.
I did not install the orifice, because it was not jittering, but I will try it if it happens again. My buddy who works alot with GReddy indicated the same thing that FourDoor said....probably a fluke thing and the fuel cut would of kicked in. I would of definitely known if it had spiked that bad.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Bump....well it appears to be a fluke thing, did not reoccur. Knock on Plastic
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I promise this is my last post on this subject, but I found the cause. It appears that GReddy Gauges do a calibration cycle for just a sec when you power it up. If I immediately turn the ignition all the way to the start position without pausing first in the on position, then it pegs, then it resets once it receives a signal from the boost sensor. If I wait just a sec I avoid the problem. This is better for everything as well, lets the fuel pump prime. Anyway...issue resolved. FYI