Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone here ever drive their EVO on a 3000+ mile road trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
No all season tire will have the snow and ice traction that a dedicated winter tire has. No, all season tire will have the ultra high performance of a high end summer tire (the kind Evos like). All season tires are for people who live where all four seasons occur and don't want to be bothered with and/or don't have the money for switching tires summer to winter.

If you still want all season tires look for tires with lots of sipes. Sipes are what make winter tires work the way they do (that and the rubber compound). Each little cut in the rubber is another gripping edge. Winter tires have thousands of sipes.

Also, for the trip, throw in a sturdy short handled shovel and a sleeping bag. Those two thing go into our cars here and they ride with us all winter. You'll probably have no problems but winter can turn ugly. If things do turn ugly get a room and wait. 24 hours can turn impassable roads into dry pavement. Just because the trucks are going through doesn't mean it is a good idea. Many truckers will try to drive through anything and have spectacular wrecks.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 8, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did about 1500 miles in mine. Took about 20 hours and we drove it straight threw only stopping for gas and rest rooms. The car took it like a champ, as a matter of fact I did the same drive in a 2001 Spyder Eclipse and that car sucked *** and almost died halfway threw
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Evo should have no problem going 3000 miles in one clip.

the key to turning in slick snow is to not brake and don't drive so fast in the first place.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:21 PM

I make a trip to my property in San Diego, Ca. 2+ times a year ( last trip mileage was 3367.4 miles). No problems. I would suggest that when you stop for gas that you let the car cool down completely (... and get a few minutes rest during) before you head off again. Once or twice, I caught myself dozing off at the wheel so, don't overdo it.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate them. I know nothing about winter/snow so those tip have been the most helpful.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:08 PM

I have been doing some research on tires, and have came across some reviews stating that their Continental Extreme Contact DWS are better tires than their lower end winter tire they replaced them with. One guy in Northern Canada said that they rock in the snow. I know I have no experience driving in the snow, but I am use to driving on wet and slippery pavement (I am from Florida were it rains every day during the summer) .
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
I drove Tampa FL, to San Diego, CA. Not having cruise control was a bit of a pain. Best advice I can give you is invest in a bra for the front bumper.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:48 PM

I drove from So cal to Calgary, Alberta and back. No problems. Tape up or get a bra for the front. I had soo many dead bugs on the front it made my LY look like a TB on the front bumper.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The car will make it no problem. I had to drive from upstate NY to middle of nowhere NM. Had an extra 700#s of crap in the car and still made as high as 27 mpg.

Do an oil change, use some good tires, and maybe snag some earplugs if your exhaust is loud. Never hurts to have a small tool kit, a blanket/sleeping bag, and water. Driving through Tx/NM will kick the crap out of your paint though...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:51 AM

Dam thats a lotta miles in one shot.

Service it and you should be fine
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

A small (maybe on of the folding ones) scoop shovel and a blanket is always a good idea traveling through real winter, especially since you have to cross at least a couple passes in the rockies on your way. Once you get north enough to where real winter happens you should be able to pick one of them up at a hardware store. Since you're in the military, it should be able to get an MRE or two to take with.

Driving on the wet Florida roads is nothing like snow/ice in winter. Being from the north, I never could understand all the wrecks in just rain in south FL when I moved there.

If you can help it, only slow down in straight lines. And don't fight the ABS if you get into it taking over, it should at least keep you in a relatively straight line. Like someone else said, since you've never driven in it, don't try to keep pace with the locals at least not at first.

When you stop for gas you might want to knock the build up of snow out of the fenders too, especially the front ones.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:16 PM

I've driven to Atlanta, Chicago, and the Smoky Mountains in mine and the best investment was the silencer for the HKS exhaust I got that got rid of the drone that gets annoying after a couple hundred miles. I would suggest a bra but the most problem I had was the mesh in the front end needing a touch up when I got back.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

We drove from Michigan to Florida and then Michigan to California while visiting different hospitals for my gf to do her residency in, the evo took the trips in stride and gave us no issues. I always keep an extra jug of coolant and oil with me in the car at all times, but she hasn't needed a drop. These are very reliable cars when treated well, you'll be just fine.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If you have never seen snow, well, you are going to be changing that if you make this trip in February. Learning to drive on snow is like learning to drive all over again. In other words, you don't know how.

Also, remember, the people around you in the northern climes are going to be mostly seasoned winter drivers. So, if you are driving as fast as they are on slick roads, you are going too fast.
Completely untrue. Especially in a car like the Evo (unless you want to lay down right now that the STi is better than the Evo). With everything in full "baby-sitter" mode. You'll probably, at worst, do a slide in whatever direction you were going. So all you need to do is go a bit slower than normal (or a lot if you're on a crazy snowy freeway). While AWD will not help you with braking, it will help with everything else, especially SAWC. And if you can drive defensively, it'll even help you slow down by giving you more room to do so.

I tried doing doughnuts in a parking lot once with all seasons on the old Evo (Pre any good traction/stability control system) and it was next to impossible. This was in at least a foot of soft Utah powder snow in an abandoned parking lot that easily had a decent bit of ice on it. Throw in SAWC and you'll be great for routine driving on plowed/maintained roads.

Also, most of the "seasoned" drivers in snowy states are the ones who wind up into freeway divider walls in their SUVs that have snow tires on because they think they are the ****. Trust me. First winter storm every year here brings at least 3 accidents on my way to and from work and I have personally seen a few happen. If you are driving as fast as they are, realize they are idiots.

Originally Posted by tougeFZ
I have been doing some research on tires, and have came across some reviews stating that their Continental Extreme Contact DWS are better tires than their lower end winter tire they replaced them with. One guy in Northern Canada said that they rock in the snow. I know I have no experience driving in the snow, but I am use to driving on wet and slippery pavement (I am from Florida were it rains every day during the summer) .
Honestly, if you stick to maintained (keyword maintained, as in plowed and salted etc) freeway interstates mostly, you won't run in to a single problem with all seasons. It is in the 30s here and while we haven't had snow sticking, we've certainly had very very cold water on the roads and my SUMMER tires have been totally fine with respectful driving.

Will winter tires be better? Yes, of course. I'm on my summer tires still because I haven't had a chance to put on my own personal set of winter tires yet. Will they be worth the cost? No way in Hell. A higher speed 3000+ mile drive through the country and varying weather patterns (especially the higher temps until you get further north) will RIP (literally cause them to rest in pieces) your winter tires up. At temperatures more than 50*F and speeds over 70, especially sustained speeds, winter tires... well.. they get really hot. Heat = more wear = ruined tires.

Now if you don't mind spending the extra money on a set of winter tires that may not last you much more than that trip + the extra bit left of that season at your destination (probably a month to 3 months more depending) then that's fine. Typically winter-only tires last me 3-4 seasons because I put them on the latest possible and take them off the soonest possible. Remember: Heat is the enemy of winter tires just like cold is the enemy of summer tires.

As a final example of my expertise of winter weather and tires and awd. We used to have a 2003 Audi TT convertible. My Porsche (which, of course, had snow tires) was in the shop and I had to run somewhere. Well the TT wasn't planned to be a winter car so it had summer tires on it... there was at least an inch of snow on the ground and while I had to go about 10mph slower than normal and brake a lot sooner and be careful turning, it was a piece of cake with Quattro kicking on when I'd get in to trouble.

Still my favorite was taking the girlfriend's Mini-S and my STi to a parking lot. Winter tires on my car, all-seasons on her car (Worn all-seasons) and had her drive around to demonstrate the vast difference in a parking lot with TWO feet of snow and probably an inch of ice under it. Her car would barely even move at full throttle. My car was driving like it would on pavement.

It's ICE that you worry about with all-seasons, not snow. Snow + all-seasons + awd will almost always be no big deal. But studded winter tires and even regular winter tires are better designed at getting grip (or attempting to get grip) on ice.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

wow my friend just did that drive a few weeks ago but not with an evo. he went from orlando to McChord afb lol very long drive, as long as your car has driven fine thus far i dont see why it wont do that trip

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever drive their EVO on a 3000+ mile road trip