Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Torn Coolant line ?????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn Coolant line ?????

All,

On my way to work this morning after the car came to temperature I mad a 1st and 2nd gear pull. About 20s later, I saw smoke coming from the hood of my car = (

I shut her down and popped the hood to see antifreeze all over the engine bay and started looking for the leak. Their is a 7-8 inch long rubber line that runs from a port off the top back right corner of the block, and into a connection near the throttle body. The line is about a half to 3/4 " dia. and I saw a 1 " tear in the line near the connection on the block.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else before or is their a known cause for this problem? Background: My car made 330 AWHP on the Buschur dyno, has 90k on it cams and other mild bolt ons. I changed the plugs yesterday with NGK Br7es and replaced the battery 10 days ago.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it was just the time for that hose to go. No real telling when they will usually, just happens.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rcgoff2
All,

On my way to work this morning after the car came to temperature I mad a 1st and 2nd gear pull. About 20s later, I saw smoke coming from the hood of my car = (

I shut her down and popped the hood to see antifreeze all over the engine bay and started looking for the leak. Their is a 7-8 inch long rubber line that runs from a port off the top back right corner of the block, and into a connection near the throttle body. The line is about a half to 3/4 " dia. and I saw a 1 " tear in the line near the connection on the block.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else before or is their a known cause for this problem? Background: My car made 330 AWHP on the Buschur dyno, has 90k on it cams and other mild bolt ons. I changed the plugs yesterday with NGK Br7es and replaced the battery 10 days ago.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan
Its an old car. Hoses will burst if not replaced. I have an 03 evo and I recently swapped out my throttle body. The hoses were so soft they were going to break at any moment. You can get some 3/8 inch hose and replace it or get a new one from the dealership. Be thankful its not the bottom hose, that hose is much harder to change. Might as well change both tbody hoses while you're there. It's also not a bad idea to replace the heater core coolant hoses as well.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:17 AM

Same thing happend to my friend, except the coolant line for the turbo is the one that cracked. Its normal for them to get brittle and crack over time. Especially if you think of how many times those hoses have been heat cycled since coolant goes through them.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the replies! I figured the thermal cycling of the hose was the cause for the failure, but wanted some input from the community. I'll put it on the to-do list to replace the main rubber coolant lines for the car!

-Ryan
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
replace with stock or goto autozone and get some coolant hose. whatever you do, dont try to use regular hose or it will bubble up and explode again.

water feed throttle body hose; MN143462 = one infront of the throttle body
water return throttle body hose; MD374266 one on the side / back area

Last edited by tscompusa2; Nov 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just loop the 2 lines together and disconnect them from the throttle body while your at it. Helps keep intake air cooler
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

that will effect warm up. dont forget to mention that to him.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Mitsu says to change coolant hoses at 60k. So, I'd suggest you change them all while you are at it: two radiator hoses, two turbo hoses, two throttle body hoses and two heater hoses. Otherwise, you are going to encounter this problem again.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by barneyb
Mitsu says to change coolant hoses at 60k. So, I'd suggest you change them all while you are at it: two radiator hoses, two turbo hoses, two throttle body hoses and two heater hoses. Otherwise, you are going to encounter this problem again.
overkill i dont agree with this. Just replace as they go! But i can get all the part numbers if he wants to replace every hose on the car
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
that will effect warm up. dont forget to mention that to him.
All that happens is the car stays at high idle for a little longer. No big deal at all
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
overkill i dont agree with this. Just replace as they go! But i can get all the part numbers if he wants to replace every hose on the car
Maybe, but maybe the car overheats and warps the head. Anyway, if this happens again the OP is again stuck by the side of the road. This isn't the definition of reliability.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

bumping this thread back from the dead... can someone post pics of the 2 throttle body hoses and the 2 heater hoses? thanks!

im having an issue where im leaking ALOT of coolant and im not sure where these 4 hoses are exactly... i dont see any hoses on my TB... im running a built 2.0 and magnus v5 IM... im thinking the TB hoses were taken out and capped off...

i appreciate the help! this is my DD and i need it running!

Last edited by white_evo27; Feb 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by white_evo27
bumping this thread back from the dead... can someone post pics of the 2 throttle body hoses and the 2 heater hoses? thanks!

im having an issue where im leaking ALOT of coolant and im not sure where these 4 hoses are exactly... i dont see any hoses on my TB... im running a built 2.0 and magnus v5 IM... im thinking the TB hoses were taken out and capped off...

i appreciate the help! this is my DD and i need it running!
Here is a link showing the lines. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...aft-seals.html
You can see lines in the pics of step 4 and 5.

pm if you need help with those tb lines

edit: sorry that link only shows the lines to the tb

Last edited by sleeezy; Feb 1, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sleeezy
Here is a link showing the lines. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...aft-seals.html
You can see lines in the pics of step 4 and 5.

pm if you need help with those tb lines

edit: sorry that link only shows the lines to the tb
thanks, i just need to know where they go to on the block because i bought my evo used and i dont have the existing lines, i think they capped them off on the block and i want to loop them instead.

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Torn Coolant line ?????