Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Everything I've learned after 4+ years with my Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you learned all that in 4 years and i learned this today......DONT TRUST EVERYTHING THAT GETS STICKIED.......almost everything wrote was disagreed on. EVERYONE WRites nice write up but i disagree on this..... everytime its something different that people disagree on . at the end your left with like 2-4 thing that you stated that people dont disagree on...i really think that getting a boost leak tester shouldve been added . and YOU pick HKS cams to list over all the rest... wow great stickie.....

Last edited by djikonatx; Feb 16, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Nice list! I would add boost leak testing as one of the initials as well.
cheers!

HUGE issue that people do not know about. Especially in the TB, those thins leak man.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wow great info, thanks for sharing. I learned alot of things with the evo the hard way.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Arghh...i have a set of HKS 272's that i was waiting to put on after this winter... and when i read this i was thinking to myself... that there not bad cams... but seeing others talk bad and complain about them makes me think twice. The only reason i choice these cams was because i heard these cams and very quiet... if this is true then i will stick too these cams... someone fill me in?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Arghh...i have a set of HKS 272's that i was waiting to put on after this winter... and when i read this i was thinking to myself... that there not bad cams... but seeing others talk bad and complain about them makes me think twice. The only reason i choice these cams was because i heard these cams and very quiet... if this is true then i will stick too these cams... someone fill me in?
the size of the cam usually determines the noise or lopping sound. hks's are usually smaller than others which is why its less quiet. stage 1 is quiet, stage 2 can go either way, stage 3 is loud. Cam gears can fix this too
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:10 AM

Great info. If only if was around when I had boughten my Evo lol.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

These cams used to be the best but their is much better choices now. In fact HKS revamped their cams recently, I know with the HKS Turbo Kit as well. Look into GSC cams, S2's would make you happy.

Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
These cams used to be the best but their is much better choices now. In fact HKS revamped their cams recently, I know with the HKS Turbo Kit as well. Look into GSC cams, S2's would make you happy.
I wish they had more results on the new HKS cams... some say they are between S1s and S2s...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:49 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have HKS 272s and they work fine for my setup. They are easy on valve springs because they have stock cam lift, but they sacrifice a bit of power to the other cams out there. I could probably get another 50hp just by switching my cams and intake manifold, but I am happy with where my car is on the stock block anyway.

As far as Mobile 1 goes, I have been running a GT35R for around 80k miles now and it is still running fine. I try to stick with the 10w30 high mileage blend since I have 98k on the car now. I can't justify the price of AMSOIL, when Mobile 1 seems to be doing just fine. When I build my engine, I will probably just start with the high mileage blend and leave it there.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I wish they had more results on the new HKS cams... some say they are between S1s and S2s...
Easy decision, go S2. You'll get the power you want and sacrifice very little.

Originally Posted by fre
I have HKS 272s and they work fine for my setup. They are easy on valve springs because they have stock cam lift, but they sacrifice a bit of power to the other cams out there. I could probably get another 50hp just by switching my cams and intake manifold, but I am happy with where my car is on the stock block anyway.

As far as Mobile 1 goes, I have been running a GT35R for around 80k miles now and it is still running fine. I try to stick with the 10w30 high mileage blend since I have 98k on the car now. I can't justify the price of AMSOIL, when Mobile 1 seems to be doing just fine. When I build my engine, I will probably just start with the high mileage blend and leave it there.

You would get an easy 50WHP across the board and faster spool. It isn't that expensive of a mod you should do it. Seriously.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
HKS 272s are doing good for me now but I also bought them about 4 years ago. I will be upgrading this summer.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for sharing your experience and great information! wow, im not going to use mobile 1 anymore.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by recompile
I certainly wouldn't consider it a Bible... it's what I've learned. Other people will have other (possibly conflicting) viewpoints as well. That's to be expected. Feel free to elaborate on what specifically is entertaining to you.

Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump ($80) - Needed to support more airflow than stock
Tactrix Openport 2.0 ($170) - Needed to datalog the car and flash the ECU
Innovate LC-1 w/ Gauge ($160) - Needed to log Air:Fuel Ratio
Omni 4-BAR MAP Sensor ($100) - Needed to log Boost
#65 boost pill ($15) - Needed to run more than 20psi on the stock boost solenoid
QTP Downpipe w/ Cutout ($475) - Gives the performance benefit of a full exhaust, with the ability to keep it quiet

As far as tuning the car with the cutout open, there's nothing stopping you from logging & tuning with the cutout closed as well. Those two can be part of the same tune. You see, the ECU has 3D maps for fuel & timing. That means that, for a variety of situations (low boost, high boost, low RPM, high RPM, or any combination) you can input different values for fuel and timing. Since cutout open vs. cutout closed will be putting you into different parts of that 3D map, a single tune can be safe for either situation. We also have the ability to run a second set of maps using the Tephra ROM. I run a single tune that is safe for meth off cutout open, meth off cutout closed, meth on cutout open, meth on cutout closed.

Check out badhabit90's post further explaining the story of Mobil 1. I know several master engine builders that are much older than I am who have specifically told me that they will only use motor oils that are high in ZDDP because when you pull apart 100 motors a year, you get a feel for which ones were protected better than others.
I had no idea you could use one tune for those types of dramatic changes. I'll have to ask my tuner about that.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguysmells
I had no idea you could use one tune for those types of dramatic changes. I'll have to ask my tuner about that.
put it this way..

100 LOAD = 0psi.

Anything past 100 load is boost pressure. Lets say we have a car thats hitting 300 load (peak boost).. It hits that load then it slowly drops down. By redline it may be around 250-260.

So you tune those areas of the map.. Now if you turn the boost up, maybe the cars going to hit 350 load or higher, then it would drop off to around 300 load or so at redline..

you can split the map and adjust each section of it for more/less boost like that.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Feb 18, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

ah thank you for passing the experience. it really helps

Quick Reply: Everything I've learned after 4+ years with my Evo