Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS type 2 turbo timer question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2003, 06:46 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, atleast it is just as accurate as your factory rpm and speedo because it is directly connected to them on the ecu......If you say that our factory speedo actually has a slight delay and too does our timer then I would agree with you....

Actually infact, our speedo does have a delay because say you are flooring it from a stop. Your actual ground speed reaches 60mph before your speedo NEEDLE does...So in a sense YES, it is a delay......
Old Dec 13, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by alex_alex

yeah, it "seems" like it does, but theres a slight delay, trust me. Here, do this instead...run the 0-60 mph timer, see what you get...then run the countdown mode, and see what you get. You may lose a bit of time for slower reaction, but the rest is the delay difference.
I'm going to try this. I'll post the results when I do.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NRG
Well, atleast it is just as accurate as your factory rpm and speedo because it is directly connected to them on the ecu......If you say that our factory speedo actually has a slight delay and too does our timer then I would agree with you....

Actually infact, our speedo does have a delay because say you are flooring it from a stop. Your actual ground speed reaches 60mph before your speedo NEEDLE does...So in a sense YES, it is a delay......
Wrong. Where do i start?

1) the RPM's and speedo on the timer are just as accurate as the factory ones, no doubt. But in calculated 0-60mph time, there is an ADDITIONAL factor invovled, and that is the actual timing of the acceleration, from start to stop. The "stop" portion is dead accurate, stopping right when the factory meter says 60mph, that is the only function the wire tap to the speedo does.

2) The RPM wire tap does nothing for the 0-60 mph acceleration. It is only used in calculating the autotimer length, and possible functions OTHER than the 0-60mph.

3) The TIMER in the turbo timer is what i am saying is delayed, NOT the reading from the factory speedometer, which is dead on.

4) And your theory about the car hitting 0-60 before the speed needle does is highly suspect, and i don't believe you have even the slightest ounce of evidence for it. That kind of thing is calibrated from the factory, and any such "actual delay" would be accounted for in the calibration.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:33 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Believe what you want, but my timer is pretty accurate......Just because yours is off doesn't make everyone's.......

Another thing to try is drive at 60mph, then slam on the brakes hard as you can, check your speedo needle while doing this and by the time your car is actually slowed to around 10mph, your needle is still higher but slowly coming down.......So it is not a theory.....its what you see............I don't need evidence for what I see........
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NRG
Believe what you want, but my timer is pretty accurate......Just because yours is off doesn't make everyone's.......

Another thing to try is drive at 60mph, then slam on the brakes hard as you can, check your speedo needle while doing this and by the time your car is actually slowed to around 10mph, your needle is still higher but slowly coming down.......So it is not a theory.....its what you see............I don't need evidence for what I see........
1) UM, Okkk.....but how does this address the speedo needle when it is accelerating, in fact, how is it relevant at all?

2) Chill dude, "believe what you want" is a cop out. The point of this post is to get some knowledge out of it. So let me ask you this:

How do you know your 0-60mph timer is accurate?
1) What are you comparing it to, e.g. what are you using to corroborate your conviction?

2) What kind of times are you running with your 0-60 mph timer?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NRG

But see, thats the funny thing. I believe the timer is off, not JUST because mine is off. Its because every single person i have talked with on this board, and on DSM boards say the same EXACT thing....except you.

Whether its b/c you refuse to believe that your times are actually half a second slower that what you're clocking , i can't say, but statistically...thus far...the evidence is against you.

Ill tell you what man, just run the countdown mode for me and tell me what the time differential is (e.g. how much slower it is )
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:40 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

I am not talking about the timer mode is off, I am talking about how my MPH on my speedo and my timer is accurate and as well as RPM.......
Old Dec 15, 2003, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NRG
I am not talking about the timer mode is off, I am talking about how my MPH on my speedo and my timer is accurate and as well as RPM.......

HUH?! This makes no sense at all, but i guess ill try to make some sense out of it.

You are NOT talking timer being off (i.e. inaccurate), but you are talking about how your timer is accurate?
-i couldn't fix this contradiction if i tried.

And second, we ARE talking about the timer mode being off (i.e., inaccurate), that was the topic of this whole thread the whole time. No one EVER said anything about the MPH and Speedo being off, except you. So, heres a request from me to have to reword whatever it is that you are trying to say...