Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RPMs eratically dropping

Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPMs eratically dropping

Here is the issue, I had my IAC valve replaced due to the other one failing. After replacing it, my RPM's finally dont hang around 1500 at idle and is now adjusted to 900 steady. Everything is good at idle, no issues.

The problem I am having is whenever I am on the throttle and put the car in neutral say to coast to a stop, my RPM's drop to 100, sometimes even stalling the car out. If the car doesn't stall, it drops and feels like it might die then instantly rises back up to normal idling state. This happens within a few seconds every time whether it falls to low RPM's and feels like stalling, or it stalls. The throttle body is 100% clean, the sensor is brand new and is keeping the car idled fine, it is only when I rev the car up, or take it out of gear when driving from half throttle or more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:49 PM

Really need suggestions
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Intrested to know myself..
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:10 PM

My car is doing the exact same thing. I was thinking it might be the IAC, MAF or front O2 sensor. Haven't had time to look into it yet. Hopefully somebody can chime in with some help.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
9 times out of 10 the issue you are having is caused by incorrect adjustment of the IAC. It can be setup correctly with either Evoscan or a MUT tool.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are throwing a CEL, see what that gives you. i would also check to see if you have a boost leak more particularly on the intake manifold.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the insight. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem however so we can find a solution to this. I don't believe I have a boost leak as I can boost properly and my car was just recently logged using Evo Scan. I could check the IAC valve again, but what do you suppose I try adjusting with it? Are you saying to mess with the idling screw, because at the moment I hear a hissing sound coming from the screw when I play around with adjusting the idle. Im not too sure if this is normal or not?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To set the base idle you need to park the stepper motor IAC in Evoscan, then adjust the BISS screw so the idle is 850. Adjusting the BISS screw without parking the stepper only makes the stepper motor try and compensate.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

subscribed, same exact issue.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:56 PM

So what your saying grayw is that I need to go into Evoscan and adjust my idling through there? So where exactly should my idling screw be at when I begin the test
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDismay
So what your saying grayw is that I need to go into Evoscan and adjust my idling through there? So where exactly should my idling screw be at when I begin the test
In the throttle body - sorry, I couldn't resist.

I idea is to park the IAC at midrange - so that it has plenty of travel when let loose to control idle. The old Mitsu cars had a plug on the firewall that you grounded to park the IAC. I miss that. Oh well, this is progress I guess.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:31 PM

So should I try messing with the screw a bit more? Because when i start bringing it up i hear more and more start to escape and make hissing sound get louder. Im not sure if im bringing it up too high or not. If it helps any, the old IAC valve broke on the previous owner so he decided to go cheap and just put the screw all the way in and it was idling at 1,500. Not sure if this could of led to further issues.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a similar issue, but I've never stalled because of it. It happens at idle and only sometimes. It will drop from like 800ish to about 300. I've never had a CEL, but I'm thinking that I'm in need of a tune.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Just curious, are you blowing off to atmosphere?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

interested on this as well. i get this occasionally. not to hijack but where should the BISS screw be set. completely tightened in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RPMs eratically dropping