Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brad Penn oil turned to Jello!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brad penn oil really isn't a good oil for 95% of the people on here.
Due to the lack of detergents and additives it will not react well to temperature changes or a long service interval.

Don't cheap out... run a fully synthetic. Your engine will thank you.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

why aren't you running fully synthetic oil in your evo? this is the basics!!!!!! don't go out there and buy something you think that's gonna work!!!!! And you should've contact Brad Penn first and find out what happened then start a thread.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so here's a question amybe more food for thought with the hint of a question. I'm currently runnng Motul 15W50 and my car runs great on it and when my car was tuned to 497HP I was running Royal Purple 10W-30 and I have had no problems at all. I'm on a stock bottom end, E85, S2 cams, AMS30R and alot more (if anyone wants to kow the whole list u can look in my profile) so which oil weight is going to be the best? I know what I was recommended to run (I also know there is an oil thread but it's alot of tech talk and I don't get it) but I am unsure with this now because of this thread! I am all about having a long lasting car not breaking so thats very important. This is going to be peoples personal opinions and i understand this but I like hearing what has worked for people and what has not!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, you should change the oil when it's warm. The oil, that is.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Remember back then they built engines very very loose to acept the thick oil's engine internal clearances were big compared to todays engines specially engines like 4G63, 4B11 and honda engines which are very tight from factory and not much looser when built.

in your case of the Pontiac thick oil was ok, would you have wished synthetic were more comon back then i am sure every gear head back then would have wished to have synthetic simply because their engine internals would have stayed much cleaner and better lubricated.
I have ACL race bearings which require thicker oil.

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
Reply with BP's response to the coagulation issue and definitely send it in for testing. To happen above freezing with limited use seems strange.
Yep. BP had no phone number on their website so I contacted through their contact page.

Originally Posted by kakashi
It did dip below -15F many a night for a few weeks here in CO..
It was over 60 in my garage.

Originally Posted by barneyb
I don't mean to rag on Pennzoil. Back then they sold a premium oil. They just were the ones with bad luck.

I also had a Ford I drove that always had had Pennzoil in it. When I pulled the head for valve work at 140K the cylinder bores looked like new and the engine was clean inside. So, I'd say the additive package they used then was as good as anything out there today. The oil just wasn't refined the way they can now and contained wax that would solidify in winter causing pumping problems. Also, synthetic was around then. I ran it in winter to avoid cold starting problems.

As for thick oil, the TA manual called for 10W-40 the same weight I run in summer in my stock block Evo. The Evo service manual calls for 20W-40 for hot weather, something I don't find.
Interesting. I'd rather run 0w40 on a stock Evo during the summer.

Originally Posted by xRoguex
I run bradpenn, because my engine manufacture required(requested) it. Its likely just an oops on their end.
Who's your engine builder?

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
Brad penn oil really isn't a good oil for 95% of the people on here.
Due to the lack of detergents and additives it will not react well to temperature changes or a long service interval.

Don't cheap out... run a fully synthetic. Your engine will thank you.
Wasn't being cheap but I heard really good things about BP oil and thought I'd try it out. Amsoil or Mobil1 15w50 would be a better choice.

Originally Posted by fugiwara
why aren't you running fully synthetic oil in your evo? this is the basics!!!!!! don't go out there and buy something you think that's gonna work!!!!! And you should've contact Brad Penn first and find out what happened then start a thread.
I agree but like I mentioned earlier, I heard good things about BP. I was trying to get some info before I called BP and see if anyone else had this issue.

Originally Posted by Aaron20
Ok so here's a question amybe more food for thought with the hint of a question. I'm currently runnng Motul 15W50 and my car runs great on it and when my car was tuned to 497HP I was running Royal Purple 10W-30 and I have had no problems at all. I'm on a stock bottom end, E85, S2 cams, AMS30R and alot more (if anyone wants to kow the whole list u can look in my profile) so which oil weight is going to be the best? I know what I was recommended to run (I also know there is an oil thread but it's alot of tech talk and I don't get it) but I am unsure with this now because of this thread! I am all about having a long lasting car not breaking so thats very important. This is going to be peoples personal opinions and i understand this but I like hearing what has worked for people and what has not!
Yep, you're going to get so many opinions. I really like the Mobil 1 0w-40 for stock engines. Great VOA with high zinc and phos, and puts the other Mobil 1 oils to shame such as the 5w and 10w. Thats just my opinion though. 15w50 seems a bit thick for stock block especially during winter.

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Also, you should change the oil when it's warm. The oil, that is.
If you saw oil jello coming out of your cooler lines, would you want to start YOUR engine with that super thick crap? Serious, it was like a rope coming out of the line. I wasn't taking any chances. Otherwise yes, I change oil when the oil is warm.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was you car sitting for a while or something?
It's a good thing you caught it! I would have warmed it up w/o thinking twice. I'd never expect oil to do that.
Do you think it's been like that for w while and just noticed it?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by rodent
It was over 60 in my garage.
Garage heaters is cheating!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Was you car sitting for a while or something?
It's a good thing you caught it! I would have warmed it up w/o thinking twice. I'd never expect oil to do that.
Do you think it's been like that for w while and just noticed it?
Luckily I was changing the oil cooler seals and found it first. Yes, the car has been sitting for a couple months. I try not let it sit that long and usually start it every 2 weeks and let it warm up to operating temp.

Originally Posted by kakashi
Garage heaters is cheating!
LOL It was really nice out yesterday! Its 68 right now!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
Luckily I was changing the oil cooler seals and found it first. Yes, the car has been sitting for a couple months. I try not let it sit that long and usually start it every 2 weeks and let it warm up to operating temp.

LOL It was really nice out yesterday! Its 68 right now!

Yeah good point, only thing that saved you was the fact that you were going to change the seals on the cooler,,, i normally i am sure you to warm up the car before changing the oil and before that gunk could melt it would have ran the engine high and dry, and you would have never know the root cause of the failure in this case it would have been due to oil starvation.

this is really good lessons learnned for many of us.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I use brad penn in my drag car.It runs on methanol so oil is changed every time i go to the track at the end of the day.sometimes i change it twice at the track depending how far i get into eliminations.I use it because its cost effective over running amsoil lets say.I wouldnt run a racing oil over 1000 miles on a street car.The sludge is a most likely a mix of it not having detergents and sitting in garage for a few months.Oh yea i concur 60 deg garages is cheating
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Gordian79
I use brad penn in my drag car.It runs on methanol so oil is changed every time i go to the track at the end of the day.sometimes i change it twice at the track depending how far i get into eliminations.I use it because its cost effective over running amsoil lets say.I wouldnt run a racing oil over 1000 miles on a street car.The sludge is a most likely a mix of it not having detergents and sitting in garage for a few months.Oh yea i concur 60 deg garages is cheating
This is exactly how these types of oils should be used, a few pases and dump them, the extreme heats will keep them liquid enough even under cold temps.

daily drivers should use something s little better.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

I use BP in my car and have been for 8k miles. The oil at 2500 miles always looks really good when I change it. I have had zero problems with BP...

Mikey
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
Agree. Just wanted to point out the sludge was not black. It was almost the same color as when the oil was new (blue/green).

Originally Posted by apagan01
Yeah good point, only thing that saved you was the fact that you were going to change the seals on the cooler,,, i normally i am sure you to warm up the car before changing the oil and before that gunk could melt it would have ran the engine high and dry, and you would have never know the root cause of the failure in this case it would have been due to oil starvation.
Yep.

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I use BP in my car and have been for 8k miles. The oil at 2500 miles always looks really good when I change it. I have had zero problems with BP...

Mikey
I wonder if I got a bad batch of oil? I see you also run e85.

Also for the record, I replaced it with 15w50 Mobil1 not 20w50.

Still no word from BP yet. I wish they had a person I could call on the phone. Not trying to dog the company but I'm really curious what caused this. Now that I'm thinking about it, this oil has less than 200 miles on it, not 1000 since I had changed it after I replaced the clutch. Still has its color and was not brown or black.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Motor is built by BR.

They suggest it for every single motor they sell.

I BELIEVE - STM and AWD use it in all their cars as well.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

English Racing also recommends Brad Penn. I've been using it and so far no problems either. Hopefully it was a bad batch/sat too long. I may try amsoil next, but was already thinking of doing that, not because of this thread. Keep us posted if you hear from BP, OP.

Quick Reply: Brad Penn oil turned to Jello!