Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Full Blown 70mm cast TB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I contacted Full Blown & MAP. FB and I are emailing back and forth now. I hope there is something we can work out.

I took it to my fabricator and he said it's kind of hard to weld cast aluminum to aluminum tube. My thought was to cut off the inlet part and weld on an aluminum tube with a lip.

I might try JB weld if FB can't do anything. Lastly I'll have my fab person weld on an aluminum tube.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
I contacted Full Blown & MAP. FB and I are emailing back and forth now. I hope there is something we can work out.

I took it to my fabricator and he said it's kind of hard to weld cast aluminum to aluminum tube. My thought was to cut off the inlet part and weld on an aluminum tube with a lip.

I might try JB weld if FB can't do anything. Lastly I'll have my fab person weld on an aluminum tube.
no reason they shouldnt replace it..

anyways, are the gains from with the adapter plate that are posted on MAP's website?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
no reason they shouldnt replace it..

anyways, are the gains from with the adapter plate that are posted on MAP's website?
Yes, it was with the adapter plate. However, I had a boost leak at 2 spots on the stock TB. So its not an accurate gain.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: ok, it's been a couple of days and I haven't heard back from Full Blown. I put in an email yesterday to see what there verdict is. I'll let you all know.

Last edited by 10isace; Apr 2, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That TB is so cheap that I would just another one, or get the Skunk2 68mm or even better yet stay with a Mil.Spec 65mm OEM TB.

The cast tb was bound to break cranking down on it with a T-Bolt clamp you can oval SS IC pipes with a T-Bolt clamp what do you think will happen to cast aluminum....?

Teflon tape on the bolts is not really good of an idea as this below, I've used it for years on lower heat engine parts and it works like a champ, instead of using some crap plumbers use.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ad_Sealant.htm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9asilver
That TB is so cheap that I would just another one, or get the Skunk2 68mm or even better yet stay with a Mil.Spec 65mm OEM TB.

The cast tb was bound to break cranking down on it with a T-Bolt clamp you can oval SS IC pipes with a T-Bolt clamp what do you think will happen to cast aluminum....?

Teflon tape on the bolts is not really good of an idea as this below, I've used it for years on lower heat engine parts and it works like a champ, instead of using some crap plumbers use.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ad_Sealant.htm
Cool, thanks for the advice. I read there were boost leak problems with the Skunk2 TB. I think I'll do the Mil.Spec.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The skunk hasn't had leaks since 2009
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Still no response from Full Blown. I hate it when a company can't get back to you. I'm sure they're trying to figure out what to do, but a response would be nice CS.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

OK, finally heard back from Full Blown Motorsports. Basically, it's not warrantied due to over-tightening. I kinda of figured that. I didn't really feel like I over did it, but I guess that's the double edge sword with those t-bolt clamps (BTW, I'm using a worm clamp on the stock TB now and for now on any aluminum cast parts.).

Full Blown was nice enough to sell me a new one at a discount. I'm considering it. I'll have to sleep on it.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9asilver
The skunk hasn't had leaks since 2009
That's good to know. I just saw your set-up on another thread I'm thinking this may be the best route, S2 IM & TB.

Just saw this on S2 website. Sorry it's

http://youtu.be/9cjiz1TZKI0

Last edited by 10isace; Apr 2, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I asked FullBlown if they had any defective ones that I could get and rebuild it with my parts, but they said no. So it looks like I'll take it to the welder after I take it all apart (seals, sensors, etc.). Or maybe this will be my first welding job. Whatever happens, it was certainly a learned lesson.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i cant believe that FullBlown isnt really helping you out with this. normally you would think that the first break from their TB they would work with the customer.

i have thought about the FB TB but it looks like either the ported OEM or a skunk 2 would be better options.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
i cant believe that FullBlown isnt really helping you out with this. normally you would think that the first break from their TB they would work with the customer.

i have thought about the FB TB but it looks like either the ported OEM or a skunk 2 would be better options.
I can't say that I'm particularly happy about this. I honestly think it could have been a weak point in the sand casting. But who knows. Anyhow, the Skunk2 TB and IM setup looks really good to me right now.

You would think they would want me to send it in. Other companies I've dealt with like to see what's going on first hand. Maybe mine wasn't the first to break.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its a possibility that it isnt the first to break but it's sad that FB isnt really helpful. good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone run the FB 70MM with ETS short route UICP/IC?

I was using the stock route ETS UICP with the OEM TB no problem.

I now am installing the short route to the 70mm TB and it's not fitting so well. I'm wondering if the extra length on the TB is screwing with me.....

Quick Reply: New Full Blown 70mm cast TB