Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Leak or what is this Noise

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Boost Leak or what is this Noise

Sorry had to get on video. I chcked all my hoses going to check them again. But when I fully boost in 2nd and 3rd i get a whoosh noise at around 24lbs. I am lightly modded with a custom tune. I just replaced the radiator today and that was it. let me know what you think..

http://youtu.be/_wbJaRgVbmE

http://youtu.be/56IcHs9UbTg

Last edited by thedru13; May 21, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Link fail.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the video, it sounds like a dead link. Your welcome
Old May 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you talking about this "hissing" noise? I can't really tell if it's the road noise the camera is pickin up or the engine noise itself.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
Are you talking about this "hissing" noise? I can't really tell if it's the road noise the camera is pickin up or the engine noise itself.
Yah its a hiss.. I lose boost. So seems like a leak somewhere I can't find it. Only under full WOT. and not in 1st gear.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

In the second Video it sounds more like a whistle, i have the same thing. I just bought a boost leak tester. Hopefully this week i'll have time to test.

Athanasios
Old May 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ya sounds alot like a boost leak!
try to get a vid of the boost gauge so we see what happens there when the noise comes on.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Boost goes up to 24 then backs off to about 19/20 then will re boost if I gas it again.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Just rechecked everything. Everything looks fine. I did some more pulls. so at WOT if I leave my foot on the gas i will boost to about 24 then the noise and if I stay on the gas the boost backs down. So slowly reduces from 24 to 20 to 18 to 15 all while that noise is going on. UGH SO AGGRAVATED... Any thoughts? It sounds like the noise is up top driver side.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

if the leak is appearing around 24psi then u will need to apply almost 20lbs+ worth of force on all of ur clamps, hoses...etc to spot where the unsealed areas are. visual inspection wont do it. once u get ur blt, test it around 5-10psi first and see if u hear anything then increase the pressure till 20 maybe. make sure to do things safely. read up on doing boost leak tests.
gl!
Old May 23, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
if the leak is appearing around 24psi then u will need to apply almost 20lbs+ worth of force on all of ur clamps, hoses...etc to spot where the unsealed areas are. visual inspection wont do it. once u get ur blt, test it around 5-10psi first and see if u hear anything then increase the pressure till 20 maybe. make sure to do things safely. read up on doing boost leak tests.
gl!

Thanks. So spent most of the day yesterday doing a leak test. I make a boost leak tester hooked it up. then could not get enough air into the system. So ran out to get a pancake compressor still could not get above 20 PSI.... I listened, sprayed with water everything found nothing. So after many expletives... I just bolted everything back up.

I noticed that the clamp holding the stock air box looked tweaked so I fixed it put everything back and made sure to see if that it was all snug and tight. Now I don't seem to have the issue. Could a leak come from where the airbox mates up with the turbo inlet pipe? just curious.. My boost seems to be a bit lower but have not been able to really do enough pulls to verify.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Just found one on mine yesterday. The lower intercooler pipe on the passenger side(bottom clamp). it wont tighten without snapping out of the worm gear slits. So I ordered a set of T-bolt clamps from a place mentioned in the Napa thread.

I pre charged my compressor for 25lbs and connected ti and heard the hiss immediately. Sprayed all connection with soapy water and saw the large bubble forming there. There might be more but its a start for now, I'll look for a clamp locally today so I can continue the test and then replace all the crapy ones once my kit comes in. 29 buck for the entire clamp kit.

Athanasios
Old May 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Ok Still stumped. Thought it was gone. But idk. So did some pulls tonight. Sorry for the bad video but not only was it raining but trying to hold the camera and shift yadda yadda.

So this is what I noticed. When i hit 6200 rpms that is when the noise kicks in and boost is lost. I can not get enough pressure in the system to replicate it via boost leak tester. Anyone have any thoughts. I am stumped. I can boost to 25lbs but as soon as i hit 6200rpms plus i hear that noise and lose boost. Please help

http://youtu.be/nT7cjV0Q5u8

http://youtu.be/jqOoLuKWf7g
Old May 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

ya unless u do a boost leak test around 20psi i dont think u will spot it. one other thing, the vac line thats connected to ur boost gauge, when u pressurize the system, get in the car and try to hear anything around the gauge area to eliminate that possibility as well.

as far as ur air box, no there cannt be boost leak around that because its not pressurized. anything after ur jpipe is positive pressure. and anything b4 that is not just an fyi. so the intake tube or box, arent sources for boost leaks. unless u have a recirculating bov, that leaks into the intake tube and u might think its coming from ur tube instead. its a possibility!

what type of clamps are u using btw? warm clamps or tbolts? can u post some pics of ur engine bay?
Old May 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Theres a small hose that connects behind and below the throttle body. I think its for the EGR valve. Check to make sure that it didn't pop off. It popped off on mine and I couldn't hear the leak since it was such a big leak. It's a common issue on these cars when you turn the boost up. Even if it didn't pop off, you should probably zip tie it in place anyway. Also, check the throttle body shaft seal and the injector oring seals next time you do a leak test. I had leaks at all of these locations.

Quick Reply: Boost Leak or what is this Noise