Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

snapped three head bolts

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snapped three head bolts

well i was tightening my head bolt with a torque wrench and 7 of the ten bolts clicked just fine at 80lbs but three just kept turning stupidly i slowly kept turning all three probably 1-2 turns and then the middle bolt snapped. what should i do.
heres the order 1 2 3 4 5
........................6 7 8 9 10
2 3 and 4 are the three that never clicked and 3 actually broke. is it fine if i leave it alone or... how hard is it to remove. the bolt seems to have broken in the block.... this car pisses me off somethings.. just when i think i am getting ahead this always happens

Last edited by EVO8STI; May 28, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear bro. Is it still sticking out the head, your probably gonna have to drill them out possibly w easy outs but hard to say w that torque. Does it leak? Drive it around and check for coolant leaking into oil, will look milky. But yeah that's a big ouch. Take it to a shop w good metal work skills.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

you have to have to bolt or you gonna get some serious damage..! you are going to have to remove your cylinder head to determine what has to be done...!
Old May 28, 2011, 07:04 PM

Yeah you could attempt removing it with an ez out. I would personally recomend having someone who deals with it all the time do it. Ive had this happen with dirt bikes before, but the ez out is a pain when its a small bolt. . . .you have to get it perfectly centered or it doesnt really work and plus the tools arent cheap.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ilikeboost
Ouch. Sorry to hear bro. Is it still sticking out the head, your probably gonna have to drill them out possibly w easy outs but hard to say w that torque. Does it leak? Drive it around and check for coolant leaking into oil, will look milky. But yeah that's a big ouch. Take it to a shop w good metal work skills.
i wouldn't drive it around at all, get it fixed right the first and don't take a chance at damaging something else...

best of luck to you
Old May 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with ^^^ it's gunna be a PITA!!! One bolt broke in my block on my truck when I went to remove my IC. Tried to back it out (they make tools for this. We aren't the first people this happened to) that didn't work. Ended up drilling it out then re-taping the hole for a new bolt...
Old May 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

You probably used factory used head bolts huh ....lesson learned ...good luck !
Old May 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

long story kinda short. in early march piston 4 cracked and broke apart so i bought new pistons rods head and gaskets and what not and just began reassembling. yes i used my head bolts that i removed when i took the motor apart after it blew up.
so i can not start the car cuz it is in ruins right now
Old May 28, 2011, 07:38 PM

That is why I don't use bolts. Had that happen many years ago with a 7/16 ARP bolt in a 302. Went to studs and never had a problem. They can also be reused many times. I had to take my block to a shop to have it removed.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Live an learn dude...always use new especially when it comes to critical things like this! You might have to take the block out and to a machine shop...if you wanna do it right....$.02
Old May 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

ARP studs are cool maybe twice used....maybe 3 if L19 studs...plus regular arp studs are cheap new....again my $.02
Old May 28, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

i just checked them out. i found a new set for only 75$ i wish i would have known factory bolts were so ****ty. it just depressing tearing my progress down.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, thats a ****ty place to be in. Gonna have to remove the head. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to have some of the bolt still sticking out above the block surface. Otherwise, its gonna be a total pita.

For sure, get some arp headstuds to replace it with. Whatever you do, dont drive the car. Gonna have a leaky headgasket which can lead to numerous other problems.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

what is the difference in arp main studs and arp head studs. here is a link on buschurs site.. https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...874ecc532c34a5
Old May 28, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

nvm. i fell dumb now. i was informed mains are for the crank and heads for head.. duurrr

Quick Reply: snapped three head bolts