Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

snapped three head bolts

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ dude u should read the whole thread, he didnt use arp head studs guy, he reused the stock head bolts.....theres a difference thus most of the issues hes currently having. So thanks for the lesson there Bill Nye the Science Guy, but reading is just as important.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
For most yield joints, the yield stress is ~70% of the fracture breaking strength of the hardware, so its not like you are right on the limit of breaking, unless the bolt is reused and already deformed....
In my experience in joint design yield bolts are used in clamp zones that change height/thickness (reducing clamp force) because of compression from gaskets or from softer materials that crush... IE, headgasket
And, yes, engineering wise head bolts may be reused if not stretched. My advice was for the DIY mechanic who probably isn't going to have the required measuring tool. I think the OP with new bolts probably would have been okay.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
first, why are you even tightening the head bolts in that pattern, i posted the pattern for you yesterday and you still just go and tighten them in the wrong pattern. at least its your car, not mine.

second, YOU NEVER REUSE HEAD BOLTS

should've just did head studs why the head was off and had the extra reassurance also
i miss understood what you were saying and you misunderstanding what i was asking. i never said i tightened them in that pattern of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. different minds think and process differently and all i had to do was ask someone else and it clicked instantly. anyways Ive never been as far as engine internals so forgive me for not knowing that head bolts can not be reused. you live and you learn. i got it fixed with my own hands with some arps.. 100$ and a frustrated night. in the end im happy i did it cause down the road the stock bolts probably wouldn't have held anyways. SO PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by EVO8STI; Jun 3, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dastallion951
^^^ dude u should read the whole thread, he didnt use arp head studs guy, he reused the stock head bolts.....theres a difference thus most of the issues hes currently having. So thanks for the lesson there Bill Nye the Science Guy, but reading is just as important.
I actually did read the entire thread, as if you would reread you would of saw the post about ARP studs being reused... thats where the info I posted came from.... its never a bad thing to put credited knowledge out there for others to learn, and Bill Nye was a pretty cool guy

To save you time... try not calling ppl out unless your 100% sure you know what your speaking about.
Originally Posted by 3grst01
Because arp's stretch first use resulting in leak. Once tightened the way I advised you do not use them again. that part is correct. For FACTORY bolts you just torque to yield with new gasket proper sequence etc. sorry about the confusion. Good luck.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Jun 3, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well if u re read post # 8 in this thread joe joe, maybe you wouldve learned he said head bolts, not head studs, thus the stock head bolts, not arp head studs...yea im not knockin bill nice that guy is one smart motha ****a... I dont call people out, and I dont recommend advice unless I have experience in the matter, and i've had experience multiple times with bolts breaking...not just my car, but a few others. They werent head bolts but they were bolts from exhaust mani to turbo.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Bill Nye says head bolts stretch. [IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old Jun 4, 2011, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8STI
i miss understood what you were saying and you misunderstanding what i was asking. i never said i tightened them in that pattern of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. different minds think and process differently and all i had to do was ask someone else and it clicked instantly. anyways Ive never been as far as engine internals so forgive me for not knowing that head bolts can not be reused. you live and you learn. i got it fixed with my own hands with some arps.. 100$ and a frustrated night. in the end im happy i did it cause down the road the stock bolts probably wouldn't have held anyways. SO PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE!!!!!!!!!!!
hey man, at least its fixed. just took some work and time
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8STI
Wow props to you for sticking with it! Glad you got that biotch out...

And for those who say it's ok to reuse FACTORY head bolts....that are probably 4+ years old plus stretched...this is not an f-ing civic or vw...serious crap actually happens in our motors..... do it right please
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostINurI

And for those who say it's ok to reuse FACTORY head bolts....that are probably 4+ years old plus stretched...this is not an f-ing civic or vw...serious crap actually happens in our motors..... do it right please
hondas and vw's dont use internal combustion engines?

dumbest statement i heard in a long time on here
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostINurI

thanks man.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
hondas and vw's dont use internal combustion engines?

dumbest statement i heard in a long time on here
Where did he say they don't use "internal combustion engines?"
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Routybouty
Where did he say they don't use "internal combustion engines?"
I believe he was speaking more to the fact that any internal combustion engine needs to seal the HG..... Just because a car makes 280hp instead of 200hp really has nothing to do with cylinder pressure. Although it was a little harsh, the original statement he was commenting on was certainly filled with some ignorance.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

^exactly what he said
Old Jun 5, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

ouch sorry man that sucks.

~Sean