Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quietest Downpipe???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I second that. I'm using the Cobb DP with their catback system. I can say that it is quieter compared to a lot of my fellow Evos out there. But once I put in a resonator test pipe, I can hear an increase in the sound level.

Originally Posted by Pal215
I run the the exhaust system you sourced, and after i added a 3 " downpipe, noise hardly increased at all. Very minimal increase in noise. Btw I got a cobb tuning dp.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wjamyers
I'm thinking about this same config except with the Mil.SPEC 100 Cell HFC.

Are you gonna post these clips?

Does the Tanabe have some kind of resonator in the IP?
answering my own question... yes, the tanabe has a resonator. I'm leaning more and more in this direction.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

No clue why my vids didn't upload to my youtube. Gimme a minute, just took some fresh clips with the phone.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, account authentication issue. Anyhoo. Here are the vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR8INXJxoZs

Notice that the volume of the radio is on "1" halfway through the video. I listen to it on about "18" when I have the windows down at 45mph, (and "30" when that song is on! ) so yeah, it's quiet. You can even hear the radio knob click when I turn it, and I've never noticed that in the car, even with the old, whisper-quiet exhaust. ..."She gotta be from outta town!"

Second video, you can hear me snapping my fingers, yeah, it's a horrible way to test sound, but it's almost all you got. Depending on which video I uploaded, you may be able to hear me wiping my shoes on the concrete driveway at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-2H2fuy0is

Last edited by FERNO; Sep 15, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
No clue why my vids didn't upload to my youtube. Gimme a minute, just took some fresh clips with the phone.
Wow that is quiet inside, I can actually hear Miley singing! My TBE is quite loud in the cabin, but I do have an RS.

Your Exhaust tip sits nice and centered, one of the few that actually fits with the rear bumper. I have a Touge Factory custom exhaust and it still sits pretty far the the left, like the Buschur one does.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FERNO
Ok, account authentication issue. Anyhoo. Here are the vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR8INXJxoZs

Notice that the volume of the radio is on "1" halfway through the video. I listen to it on about "18" when I have the windows down at 45mph, (and "30" when that song is on! ) so yeah, it's quiet. You can even hear the radio knob click when I turn it, and I've never noticed that in the car, even with the old, whisper-quiet exhaust. ..."She gotta be from outta town!"

Second video, you can hear me snapping my fingers, yeah, it's a horrible way to test sound, but it's almost all you got. Depending on which video I uploaded, you may be able to hear me wiping my shoes on the concrete driveway at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-2H2fuy0is
snapping the fingers was a brilliant idea. it really gives the contrast you need to understand how loud it would be.

I'm about sold on this TBE. It's just a TEENSY bit blingy too while looking nearly completely stock. Combine that with an ETS FMIC and the initiated will know, the uninitiated will not. Hmmm...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for posting the clips! I was also leaning towards the Tanabe Medalion Touring catback. Which hi-flow cat did you use?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Wow not noisy or obnoxious at all, will be ordering the Medallion Touring for mine next week.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:55 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOSE06
Wow not noisy or obnoxious at all, will be ordering the Medallion Touring for mine next week.
IIRC, it necks down at the resonators/muffler which is partially why it's so quiet. The piping is ~3" though. There was a dynograph posted a few years ago with the Medallion vs Buschur. The Buschur made quite a bit more power. Might be worth a search.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reboundicon
Wow that is quiet inside, I can actually hear Miley singing! My TBE is quite loud in the cabin, but I do have an RS.

Your Exhaust tip sits nice and centered, one of the few that actually fits with the rear bumper. I have a Touge Factory custom exhaust and it still sits pretty far the the left, like the Buschur one does.
Yep, noise and fit were paramount for me. It needed to be quiet for my sanity and it needs to fit right for when I mount a diffuser in the future.

Originally Posted by wjamyers
snapping the fingers was a brilliant idea. it really gives the contrast you need to understand how loud it would be.

I'm about sold on this TBE. It's just a TEENSY bit blingy too while looking nearly completely stock. Combine that with an ETS FMIC and the initiated will know, the uninitiated will not. Hmmm...
Not as brilliant as you might think. Cell mic's are only really good for voice frequencies, for voice quality. The low frequencies are seldom picked up. That said, it really is quiet and near stock. The ETS is a good idea too. I actually want a black one for even less obvious appearance (to the uninitiated).

Originally Posted by Jim3142
Thanks for posting the clips! I was also leaning towards the Tanabe Medalion Touring catback. Which hi-flow cat did you use?
Ultimate Racing. It does not flow as well as some of the other HFC's, but it does work as a Cat, whereas some of the other ones are Cat in name only. (basically resonators)

Originally Posted by EVOSE06
Definitely not obnoxious.

Originally Posted by FJF
IIRC, it necks down at the resonators/muffler which is partially why it's so quiet. The piping is ~3" though. There was a dynograph posted a few years ago with the Medallion vs Buschur. The Buschur made quite a bit more power. Might be worth a search.
Yep, I think someone said it necked down to ~2.9". I personally am OK with this, as I'm not in a horsepower war and figured that small neck down would not be the bottleneck considering my HFC. I just want my car to have a nice tone and flow pretty well. This flows *much* better than stock according to the butt-dyno.

To echo your point FJF, I was going to say that I've ridden in a test-piped, BR Bullet equipped Evo with a big turbo, and I really didn't think it was that loud. It was a little much for me for daily use though. It was "detroit pistins"'s car that has a Feeler in the marketplace if anyone wants to look at the build. Ali and I were able to hold a conversation in his car under acceleration with no issues.

The point, however, is that the downpipe didn't make the car significantly louder, which is all I cared about as I had already heard the Tanabe Medalion Touring in person on two different cars. What threw me off was that one car had a stock downpipe, and the other car had an extra resonator welded in, so I didn't know what it would sound like with my combo. I can now speak with experience that Tanabe+UR HFC+Megan DP is not a loud combination among the ~15 Evo's I've heard.