Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whats with the FP Black??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats with the FP Black??

So I have been thinking of selling the HTA green on my car and going with a FP black. I got a buddy in town that will take the green off my hands. I want a turbo that will make more whp, on pump, but still bolt on. So what better than the black. PLus it will keep the tq low so my rods will be saved.

My question is, am I missing something? I though the black was such an amazing turbo, yet there seems to be a new one posted for sale almost every day! lol Is something going on, or is it just, everyone that buys a black changes their mind?

Anthony
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best alternative would be fp red or a bbk. I just made a jump to the fp black so i would never have to upgrade to another turbo for street use. Yeah its more lag, but it makes up for it with the top end.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Im dead set on moving up to a black,as I want more top end. I just thought it was funny that there are soo many coming up for sale, just makes me wonder lol.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
still gonna make high torque on fp black. your at the point now that your stock rods are almost begging for mercy
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I am gonna keep it under 400 tq, as I have read thats a safe zone. I mainly want to go back to pump too. I look through the dyno results, and saw the fpblack on 27psi, make like 487whp, with 395tq. Thats perfect! I want the higher airflow up top. I miss the almighty pull from hell I had with my 3065 on my old 1g lol. I want that feeling back.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

lol @ thinking 395tq is not pushing the limits. I think you can run a black safely, but your tune better be DEAD on and the weather best not change for the colder on you. If you can control the weather and the tune then by all means I say go for it.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

its def the turbo u want if u drag alot, n do highway pulls.

Theres alot of word that fp black turbos blow, Ive seen a few bbk threads of busted turbos aswell.

Alot of people are selling their fp blacks new. I dont think alot of people realize how much more money its going to cost them to actually get it on the car, then part ways with it.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

From what I read on the forums, all the info says that as long as your not pushing over 400 tq, your good. I am comfortable, as long as I stay under 400. My car now is holding together. This is even with stock headbolts still! lol I will be swapping in headstuds though soon.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I love my Black turbo. Im going to really push it this year once I get my motor ready and all broken in. As seen in my previous numbers I was at the limit of the stock bottom end. Every time I got on it I knew I was asking for it but it held together.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

haha^^ Thats the funny part. Your afraid something is gonna blow, but yet, the motors seem to be holding up to a lot lol. I would love to do a built block, but right now, its just not in the cards. With all the stock motor power numbers I see on here, its very hard to not push the stock motor more and more!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Cool, do you man. Just saying you have to pay to play and usually if you're this worried about popping a motor it just might happen. I find that cars like to bite you in the *** during the worse times so I say mod as if you had the money to fix a blown motor, if you don't then don't do it.

Just my .02 cents.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yea now I will have the confidence that everything should be ok. The blacks torque comes on later than the red so it not as bad on the bottom end. The quicker the torque comes on the harder it is for your bottom end. If you make 400wtq at 3500-4k rpm that is worse than my 400wtq at about 5k.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Personally I don't have a black, I have an ATPGTX3582 turbo but it's similar in performance. I agree with the comment above about people running short on cash, but I also think a lot of people get blacks wanting oodles of hp, and end up just wanting more power.

Boost, it's one hell of a drug.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Cool, do you man. Just saying you have to pay to play and usually if you're this worried about popping a motor it just might happen. I find that cars like to bite you in the *** during the worse times so I say mod as if you had the money to fix a blown motor, if you don't then don't do it.

Just my .02 cents.
Very true
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Im not worried about blowing a motor right now. Nor will I be with the black. As long as my tune is spot on and I keep my tq under 400, I feel very safe. I didnt want this thread to be about me throwing me rods lol. I just asked if there was something I am missing, as to why there are so many black listed for sale.

What has happened to the confidence in the good ole 4g63?? lol

The comment about wanting more power, are you saying, thats why you think people are selling them? They think they wanna make this much, but then realize they wanna make more than the black is capable of? The upside to a black too, is I can grow with it. The green, I can get some more out of it, but how much more? Not much more with the stock bottom end I know. The tq numbers would be way to high for it.

Last edited by tsidrift1; Jun 19, 2011 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats with the FP Black??