Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sti guy going to an evo, ideas on this buy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsan1020
this guys pretty smart. that would be a 05 evo 8, has evo 9 awd set up/whatever its called with the diff change and has a bigger hot side on the turbo, just not mivec.

like I said im not a tard with cars I did pretty much everything on my sti

I dont tune myself, i know the basics of it, but I feel I would push the limits because I always want more lol. rather have 20 less hp and keep my engine and have a rep tuner do the work at CBRD.

I was looking at possible stock ones but everyone wants to much for them around here. (p.s. where i live is higher then the 'average' of everywhere else-idk why tho)

I plan on modding the car and in a year or two drop in a 2.2 stroker or just build the block.

as far as the timing belt its only at 69k, thats something for around 90k iirc
Timing belt and water pump are done at 60k on these cars, just an fyi.

Good Luck
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looked and drove that car. They wouldnt go any lower than $18,500. Mesh on front bumper is messed up, lots of scratches and dents, suspension is horrible, fender liners falling off... yeah keep looking.

I ended up picking up an 05 from elsewhere for $18,500 with lower miles and the car only has a few chips on the front bumper and one tiny door ding and other than that is in perfect shape.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

this guys pretty smart. that would be a 05 evo 8, has evo 9 awd set up/whatever its called with the diff change and has a bigger hot side on the turbo, just not mivec.

like I said im not a tard with cars I did pretty much everything on my sti

I dont tune myself, i know the basics of it, but I feel I would push the limits because I always want more lol. rather have 20 less hp and keep my engine and have a rep tuner do the work at CBRD.

I was looking at possible stock ones but everyone wants to much for them around here. (p.s. where i live is higher then the 'average' of everywhere else-idk why tho)

I plan on modding the car and in a year or two drop in a 2.2 stroker or just build the block.

as far as the timing belt its only at 69k, thats something for around 90k iirc
Ok mr know it all... Since you know everything there is to know, why are you asking for advice on a forum?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey cut a guy some slack, im drinking and multi tasking-not a good combo. i think its yaw control
You my friend, did not research anything at all. First of all, no US spec evos came with the rear yaw control ( only the X has that) so there you go.
Then there is no such thing as an evo 8.5, although some people refer to the MR model like that.

Finally, chill out buddy, first guy who replied to your thread was actually giving you good advise, and you reacted pretty aggressively, not good.
Now my advise is, look for a 9.
Take it or leave it
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:00 AM

you know you guys are pretty harsh.
and maybe he did respond a bit defensively.
either way expect to be flamed on this forum often.
There are lots of supportive ppl on this forum too tho.
If you want the car get it.
You say youre a car guy and if you know cars than you dont need our advise.
you may want to save some more money and get a x
they have active yaw control
with just a tune on the x it makes the car come to life.
only frequent complaint i hear is the gas mileage.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
would pass on this evo its beyond overpriced.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we have had issues with local small independent dealer selling evo's saying we worked on them, simply to demand a high price-

just beware!

cb
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

whatever, i was never really mean i just reiterating that I was asking about that car not another
Kyoo gave you good advice and said to look for a better deal and you go on saying something like someone not dumb care to chime in. That made you sound like a ********. He was giving you his opinion and you end up calling him dumb, pretty much. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by shifthard; Jun 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks CBRD, I think I seen one advertised but they were asking a lot for the car so I didnt bother to look at it.

jeez everyone gets butt hurt around here,

"In my defence your honor, I was a bit drunk"
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Asking price shouldn't be the end of the line. If it's a car you like, pursue it. I ended up calling on a car that way way out of my price range and got it for a stellar deal that I could afford.

The high prices are there to give negotiating room and make you feel like you're getting a better deal than you are, don't let them scare you off immediately
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cleaned up this thread a bit. Everybody relax and keep the thread on topic, everything else needs to be taken to PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, overpriced.

Take your time man. I jumped the gun on my first Evo, then sold it a month later and bought my second Evo.

You WILL find a car. I know sometimes it feels like you won't. Hang in there and keep a level head.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by shifthard
Kyoo gave you good advice and said to look for a better deal and you go on saying something like someone not dumb care to chime in. That made you sound like a ********. He was giving you his opinion and you end up calling him dumb, pretty much. Good luck on your search.

wasn't even aware he called me that.

OP, really take your time. Forums browsing is definitely the best way to find a speciality used car IMO, and I think others will agree. The knowledge in the community keeps prices where they should be and scrutinizing eyes of people who've been around the car for a while can identify good and bad.

Obv, as people have stated, the car you posted isn't the best option/price.. Sorry if you were hoping we'd all jump on board and say the car's a great deal and looks great.. I'm willing to bet most of us have seen way better deals come and go
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:33 PM

Evo or Sti?

Definetly an Evo I have a 06 and my friend has an 08 STI, we both have almost the same setup. We live in Colorado I can hit 13's while his hits 14's.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems overpriced but the book value on VIIIs and IXs have been going up so I hear.

Quick Reply: sti guy going to an evo, ideas on this buy