Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sti guy going to an evo, ideas on this buy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sti guy going to an evo, ideas on this buy

http://www.autoexchangeusa.com/newan...-PA-17603.aspx

the above link is for a 05 evo 8.5, from what i can tell it has upper and lower icp, bov, mbc, struts, exhaust, a/f-boost gauges. i'm guessing its running on a tune from CBRD because there near the dealership and now to far from me. looks good for the price IMHO, wanting everyones thoughts. BTW i had a 06 sti making 352hp/349tq but cost alot more then what it would to make on the evo. i know to check rad fins, trans whine, grinding gears, 5th gear looking for slipping, and a few odds and ends. i'm not new to forums, or working on cars and yes i have been trolling here for awhile debating on making the switch to the dark side.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?!?!?!?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i think you can find a better deal browsing these forums, and you can search the user's posts to get an idea of the car's history
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd be patient and find something you really want, i waited and waited till i found mines
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:40 PM

but I do want a 8.5, for that link, yea or nah? honestly in my area under 150 miles away evos are few and far between and it seems like there usually picked up less then 4 days from when there posted for sale around here.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Most people would say to look for a stock Evo, if its modded it was probably run hard. Have a tech check it out. If you do your own tuning, do the basics..compression test, check drive-in fluids, see if the clutch is in order. Check the turbo for play. Check the VIN at a mitsubishi dealership to see when the last timing belt was replaced. If you still had the subaru..I would have just kept it, being they are so close performance wise.
Good luck.

N
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsan1020
but I do want a 8.5, for that link, yea or nah? honestly in my area under 150 miles away evos are few and far between and it seems like there usually picked up less then 4 days from when there posted for sale around here.
what on earth is an evo 8.5 there is no such thing...I think you need to research model years and trims a little more first
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Which ever evo you choose will be a better choice than a subaru...i got rid of mine....and if I could get rid of my wifes...my life would be complete...i dont think the other guy who posted was being honest....doesnt look like a bad deal....i think you too could find a better deal here on these forums...either way congrats on whatever you decide....justin
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

it looks good . im sure you can bring them down since it says its leather but its not. they might think its a ssl edition or something. ide go test drive it. and low ball them a little and grab it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
what on earth is an evo 8.5 there is no such thing...I think you need to research model years and trims a little more first
this guys pretty smart. that would be a 05 evo 8, has evo 9 awd set up/whatever its called with the diff change and has a bigger hot side on the turbo, just not mivec.

like I said im not a tard with cars I did pretty much everything on my sti

I dont tune myself, i know the basics of it, but I feel I would push the limits because I always want more lol. rather have 20 less hp and keep my engine and have a rep tuner do the work at CBRD.

I was looking at possible stock ones but everyone wants to much for them around here. (p.s. where i live is higher then the 'average' of everywhere else-idk why tho)

I plan on modding the car and in a year or two drop in a 2.2 stroker or just build the block.

as far as the timing belt its only at 69k, thats something for around 90k iirc
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:57 PM

Probably don't need to pay over $20,000 for an VIII. I would think 15-16 thou would be reasonable.

But hey, its the "HARD TO FIND BLACK ON BLACK 2005 MITSUBISHI EVOLUTION VIII"

Go wild!

Last edited by evol911; Jun 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jsan1020
this guys pretty smart. that would be a 05 evo 8, has evo 9 awd set up/whatever its called with the diff change and has a bigger hot side on the turbo, just not mivec.

like I said im not a tard with cars I did pretty much everything on my sti

I dont tune myself, i know the basics of it, but I feel I would push the limits because I always want more lol. rather have 20 less hp and keep my engine and have a rep tuner do the work at CBRD.

I was looking at possible stock ones but everyone wants to much for them around here. (p.s. where i live is higher then the 'average' of everywhere else-idk why tho)

I plan on modding the car and in a year or two drop in a 2.2 stroker or just build the block.

as far as the timing belt its only at 69k, thats something for around 90k iirc

Wow.... just wow.....
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:09 PM

hey cut a guy some slack, im drinking and multi tasking-not a good combo. i think its yaw control
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

05's already had ACD so thats the same. an 8.5 is an evo 9 engine in the 8 or this guys trying really play it up. anddd 05 had the 10.5 hotside already. still smaller housing than the 9 though.
so pretty much it has bolt ons.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:35 AM

IMO I think its overpriced but again its a stealership, evo 8's between 60-100k are going for about 13-16k around where I live. Good luck to you finding a evo that suites you
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:12 AM

I too think thats over priced I picked up my 8 MR with 44k on the clock for 19k just keep searching dont rush the purchase and research research research dont be afraid to ask questions either theres alot of knowledgeable people on here, I too made the switch from a EJ257 and trust me its well worth it. Just take your time and make it ALL worth while

Quick Reply: sti guy going to an evo, ideas on this buy