Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 RS first gear whistle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 RS first gear whistle

Hello, I'm looking to buy an Evo 8 RS from 2004 with approx. 26,665 miles. The car's making a whistle sound in first gear, then the whistle goes away with higher gears/speed.

Someone I know told me to stay away from the car if it whistles in first gear. I've sent him the video, too and waiting for his opinion as well.

What's your take? I really like the car and I'm ready to buy it, plus that it's Apex Silver - my color of choice, together with Graphite Gray.

Thanks for your thoughts!

P.S. Once the video is uploaded on youtube I'll post the link so you can hear the car.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
almost any manual transmission is going to have a slight whine in first gear. The whine that most evo owners worry about happens at about 30 - 40 mph in 2nd or 3rd or in higher gears also but at higher speeds. It should be loudest around 30 or 40 and this is indicative of the transfer case going out (ring gear). If your worried have a mechanic check it out or a well informed evo owner (maybe), no one here can tell you what is wrong from the description of whistle......

I recommend finding someone in your local area that knows alot about these cars and have them look they would/should know right away. Having a mechanic check your t-case is going to be expensive and unless you own the car probably won't happen.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the info - the whistle is present only in the first gear. Video upload is complete, you can watch & hear it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdaSioJTTXE

I've already talked with someone who's in the tuning business, knows Evos and tunes them, has an Evo 9. He's the one who told me to stay away from the car if it whistles. I'm waiting for him to see the videos, too. It's just he really busy, I'm having troubles catching him on the phone.

Last edited by Temujin; Jul 7, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

sounds OK to me. Evos whine in 1st gear straight off the showroom floor.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by AboodsEvo
sounds OK to me. Evos whine in 1st gear straight off the showroom floor.
How many miles did you get on it so far?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 03:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my EVO never sounded or sounds like that and I own her since January of 05.
sounds like a problem to me
Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
As heard in your vid man. 100% normal my car has made that noise since I bought it over 120k ago. Don't think I've ever been in an EVO that didn't have first gear noise including as stated "off the showroom floor"

You have no problem enjoy
Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:23 AM

What about this post?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ttle-prob.html

I'm trying to figure out whether to buy it or not. I don't want to get a car w/ problems.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:39 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Temujin
What about it?

As others told you, the sound in the video is normal. The whine folks talk about happens at higher speeds in higher gears. First gear sounds like that, and second to a degree, due to the cut of the gears, themselves.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Temujin
What about this post?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ttle-prob.html

I'm trying to figure out whether to buy it or not. I don't want to get a car w/ problems.
Evo 8/9's have a straight cut first gear (like reverse) that's what the whine is. It's normal, and every Evo I've driven or rode in has had it.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
What about it?

As others told you, the sound in the video is normal. The whine folks talk about happens at higher speeds in higher gears. First gear sounds like that, and second to a degree, due to the cut of the gears, themselves.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that as making the point of what others said in this thread.

As you can hear, the whine isn't there in the higher gears. 1st gear only. I just wanted to hear some thoughts before I take the plunge and buy the car.

THANKS!

Last edited by Temujin; Jul 7, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:36 AM

Forgot to mention that the owner offered to swap the gearbox with 6-speed one, from Evo 9. He's a rally driver in my country. My buddy said to go for the 6-speed g/b without hesitation. I'm not sure yet...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:25 PM

I just purchased an 04 RS and it has this. I emailed Cheps and was informed this was very common and that if they did rebuild it after a few launches it would come back. Is this true or is this them trying to just put a band aid on my tranny. A local guy here says its the input shaft. Car will whine only in 1st gear. All other gears do not have this issue.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
first gear has a less helical cut on it and is sort of a semi straight cut gear, therefore its noisy. its normal.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I can't say if the noise is good or bad. My car is a 2003, I bought it new and in a 100,00 miles plus it has never made that sound.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 RS first gear whistle