Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Moving from CO, to CA. Sell car before the move??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving from CO, to CA. Sell car before the move??

Hey guys, I am about to move to los angeles california from westminster, colorado by the end of august. So im wondering if i should sell the evo before the move or just drive it down there?

The problem with that is im not sure if i can register my car there or pass smog and deal with all that legal stuff.

If any CA guys could chime in and help me with some facts and such that would be great!

My car doesnt have a cat and im not too sure about the car laws in CA about it being modified or what not, but i usually see tons of modified cars there anyway.

I have an 03' 8 so im not sure if i have to smog it before registering it there and am not totally sure if i have to buy a new insurance plan if i do decide to take the car with me.

Right now im deciding on selling it but that is really hard right now so i also have an idea of trading it in fro a newer honda and drive it down there with my temp tags, hoping it passes all the inspections since it would be a newer car and all stock.

If anyone here could give me some in sight on my situation i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You can do whatever you want, but if you enjoy driving it in the least do you think that a Civic will make up for any of that feeling?

Just put stock exhaust and such back on, pass smog, and switch 'em back.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
What mods you got on the car?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:17 PM

Well, the reason im moving down there is for school so i wont be dealing with the evo much anyway for the time being so i f i just got a honda i would just daily drive it and maybe get another performance car later on. But now its just the fact that its so hard to sell my evo privately, and im not entirely sure how much i will get for a trade in.

Also i just have basic bolts ons like intake, bov, exhaust, clutch.

I also had a friend who moved there with his STI and he said it wasnt worth the hassle to take the car with him because he couldnt get it registered so in the end he just drove the car back to CO and traded it in.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
So, if the car is missing any of its factory smog equipment, the DMV will probably fail your inspection when you attempt to register it and then send you to a referee.

It just gets worse from there.

I would recommend you either return the car to stock, sell it or swap out your FOR RACE USE ONLY parts with CARB certified parts if you plan on attempting to register it in CA.

The heavily modified cars you see registered for street use in CA are more than likely done so illegally through 'smog hook-ups.' I do not condone breaking the law, but once you get your car out here you can consider looking into that option once it's legally registered.

Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
This thread should hopefully answer a few of your questions: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/we...questions.html
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Basically repeating what my NorCal brothers stated...but if you have the OEM parts, put them on and get the car registered if possible. It seems like you're not heavily modified so luckily it won't be horrible replacing most of the stuff you'll need to smog it.

I think you'll miss the car if you sell it...like I did when I sold my first Evo.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:04 PM

Thanks guys, Also what does it mean if they send you to a referee? And i actually dont have a stock exhaust anymore because that thing was so rusted it up i just completely trashed it and now the exhaust i have on now is a pain to get off the car due to the hanger welds.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other than the test pipe, what other mods do you have on your car..? do you still have your stock parts?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks guys, Also what does it mean if they send you to a referee?
If a cop pulls you over and writes you up for illegal mods, it means that you will have to go to the smog referee. Once there, he will basically run through your car with a fine-tooth comb for any illegal mods you have. If your car checks out, then you're good. If not, I think you'll have to put the car back to stock, but someone else may be more qualified to answer that as my car, power-wise, is bone stock
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by IspyEvo
Thanks guys, Also what does it mean if they send you to a referee
A Referee Center is a state-contracted vehicle emissions test facility that provides certain Smog Check services for motorists. A Referee Center is authorized to offer specialized inspection services that are beyond the scope of California's licensed Smog Check stations. Referee Centers are located primarily at California Community Colleges throughout the state.

Referee Centers also provide training and work experience opportunities. The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) trains referees and provides technical direction and equipment. Referees also train students for careers in the automotive industry.

Referee Centers perform the following services:

Inspect Vehicles with:

Engine Changes
Vehicles whose original engines have been replaced with an engine not originally offered for that vehicle's year, make, or model.
Gray Market Vehicles
Vehicles imported into the United States that do not meet U. S. EPA standards.
Specially Constructed Vehicles
Vehicles, such as dune buggies or kit cars, that are deemed "specially constructed" by the DMV.

Once these vehicles are inspected and certified by a Referee Center, a BAR label will be affixed to the vehicle. Any licensed Smog Check station may perform subsequent inspections as long as the BAR label remains in place and the vehicle's emissions equipment remains the same.

Certify Vehicles with Limited Parts Exemptions

Motorists whose vehicles fail a Smog Check because of missing or modified emission-related parts, must replace those parts. The BAR's Emissions Parts Locator service helps motorists locate difficult to find emissions parts or if the parts cannot be found, a Limited Parts Exemption is issued. When a Limited Parts Exemption is issued, the motorist must take his or her vehicle to a Referee Center for inspection. If it passes all other aspects of the Smog Check inspection, the vehicle will be certified. If the parts are available in time for the next required smog inspection, they must be installed before the vehicle can be certified. BAR's Emissions Parts Locator service can be reached at (800) 622-7733.

Issue Smog Check Repair Cost Waivers

Repair Cost Waivers are available to everyone who has a vehicle that fails a biennial inspection and whose emission system has not been tampered with. It allows a vehicle to be registered without passing its Smog Check inspection by providing a temporary (two year) extension of time to complete all emissions-related repairs. To qualify, at least $450 in emissions-related repairs must be made to the vehicle at a licensed Smog Check station. The waiver may only be used once by a motorist during their ownership of the vehicle.

Note: Prior to applying for a Repair Cost Waiver, consumers should apply for the Smog Check Consumer Assistance Program (CAP). Click here to learn more about CAP, which provides up to $500 in Smog Check repair assistance to eligible motorists.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...e_Centers.html
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:31 PM

Smog isn't that bad, if your intake is something approved by CARB (with a sticker) then all you need is a stock downpipe/cat and you should pass smog no problem. If you don't have a stock setup or means to get one, the evo community can probably help you out with either getting a smog "hookup" or loaning you what you need to pass. Just my .02...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

if you're going to school, leave the car registered in colorado and just say your plan is to return there once you're done with school. the only thing CA cops can bust you for is a loud exhaust (which won't be a big deal unless it's really, really loud...or you're being a hooligan).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

after reading this thread im glad i live in the sunny state of florida... as for your problem, i dont see that as a reason to sell it, that is unless you want to just get rid of it and be done with the evo game.
since you mentioned you dont have the stock parts, i assume someone on here that is local to you wouldnt mind trading even for stock parts. if not go to a muffler shop and buy a new cat and try finding a used Oem muffler. either way you choose good luck !!!!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:38 PM

I live in L.A. and you have a few choices.

1. pay some off to pass smog.
2. put the cat back on smog it, then take back off.
3. is choice #1 but take the shield off the cat and have it wielded where its suppose to be. so it looks like its there.

CHP ( California Highway Patrol ) are known for popping hoods and getting on their knees to look it you still have your cat or resonator. Trust me . This happen to me before. just giving you a heads up.

Quick Reply: Moving from CO, to CA. Sell car before the move??