Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

lowering springs question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swift
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
As long as this isn't on the Suspension forum, good luck with whatever you choose. FWIW, GTWorx and Swift are the automotively viable options.
FWIW, I respect your advice, but could you expand on what you mean when you write, "automotively viable"? I have been leaning toward the GTWorx springs myself and wondering if they will work with my stock KYB's, or not?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those two springs are very popular for Evos, both should say MR or non-MR. That just separates Evos with kyb VS bilsteins.

N
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
ok as far as i am concerned the only two to choose are either swift (which i own) and GTWorx
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Swift springs with the MR Bilsteins. They drop the car just enough to get rid of that "Japanese car wheel gap" :-)
They have a slightly softer ride over small bumps but stiffen up quickly since they are progressive rate.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im still kind of set on the tanibe
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why? The Swift Sports are the same rates, but have a progressive "helper" zone and a more reasonable drop. The Swift Spec Rs have much better (higher) rates, are again progressive and a more reasonable drop. What would make you prefer Tanabes?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
FWIW, I respect your advice, but could you expand on what you mean when you write, "automotively viable"? I have been leaning toward the GTWorx springs myself and wondering if they will work with my stock KYB's, or not?
Yes, they will work with the stock KYBs. I have had that setup for a little over 5 months now and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I've heard that there are differences between Evo 8 and Evo 9 KYB struts, so maybe someone with GTWorx springs on a 8 can chime in.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Because I want to get rid of as much of the horrid wheel gap as I can while still enjoying the ride
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my swifts..and the gap is reduced while still not being too harsh.

N
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by polish_pounder
Because I want to get rid of as much of the horrid wheel gap as I can while still enjoying the ride
I run swifts and I'm extremely happy with them. I would recommend them. They also get rid of the rake. They drop 1.5" in front and about1" in back. I've yet to hear any rave reviews on the tanabe springs. The suspension forums is full of rave reviews on swifts though FWIW.

If you want better bump steer performance the GTworx are probably best since they don't drop as far and avoid hitting the bump stops as much.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

I run the tanabe gf-210 springs and I love them. Nice drop and still excellent handling.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:14 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
I knew that one day someone would call me on the phrasing.

Short answer, springs that won't make the car handle worse and may even improve some aspects of its performance. Wish there were more than two options, but that's really all we have, spring-wise. Everything else is either compromised or there's not enough real-world data to suggest it as an alternative.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

haha well the swifts drop the same as the tanibe i didnt realize that ill look into them the only reason i had my mind set on the Hotchkis or Tanibe is because i know people that run the and love them. i have a friend that runs tien to and he loves them so i guess thats not saying much cause i hate how it rides haha
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really don't understand people sometimes. And I'm a psychologist.

There's a sticky in this forum that gives you the rates for all the standard aftermarket springs. But, instead or reading this (before deciding what to do and/or starting a new thread), you rely on the opinions of people who probably have no experience with springs other than those on their own car.

The internet is a pool of water. You are the horse. Drink, for Pete's sake!

Quick Reply: lowering springs question