Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking at a used evo 9 (evo noob)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
Not sure about how the 6-speed shifts, but I've heard it shifts really smoothly. Never had the chance to try it for myself though. However, I run the Redline fluid cocktail (2 quarts 75W-90, 1 quart MTL) and my 5-speed shifts really well now, compared to when I first bought the car lol

Also, the SE models come with BBS wheels as well.
How was your 5-speed shifting when you first bought it? felt notchy? or what.

Also I read that the SE models don't come in Rally Red.

Sadly that is not an option for me, as I am set on getting a red evo 9.

Originally Posted by EvoTeyn
Nvm on the trunk, took awhile for my eyes to adjust lol, I thought those were big wires instead of floor mats. I think the GSR shifts fine but then again I have a shep built 5-speed (thanks previous owner haha) The only thing I've heard bad about the gsr tranny (atleast older models) is that the synchros go out rather fast (5th especially, and 2nd gear). And yeah the MR stock tranny is somewhat weak and can't handle higher tq numbers, but if you plan on DD your MR you'll love the 6th gear (highway DD driving), some days I wish I had a 6th gear, but nothing wrong with instant boost on the highway haha
* Forgot to add that GSR shifts really smooth with better shifter bushings
Lol. Wow you bought an evo with a shep built 5 speed? that's awesome!!

Yeah i've heard about the 5speed syncro going bad, but haven't heard about 2nd gear.

In the MR I heard the weak syncro was in 4th gear? right?

Last edited by SixersFan64; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Yep, SE models were only black, silver, and grey, if I remember correctly.

When I first bought my Evo, it shifted alright, I mean it would go into gear and stuff, but it felt notchy to me. I think a few of my friends also noticed this; one of them preferred my friend's WRX and the other actually like the notchy feeling because it reminded him of his MR-2. That was when the car was still on the Diaqueen tranny fluid (I think? It looked like it hadn't been replaced since the 30k mile service and I bought the car when it had 56k on it). I switched over to Redline 75W-90 and it felt tons better, now the notchy feeling was nearly gone. In April, I had my clutch changed out for an aftermarket one and the shop that did the install also filled my transmission back up with the Redline cocktail I mentioned before and now the car shifts like butter
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking at the interior, you can get rid of the huge tack, move the boost gauge and replace the plastic pieces on the steering colum and a pillar. In the engine bay I see upgraded turbo (t3 t4?), ecu tuned on speed density, upgraded fuel system, torque damper, radiator and hoses. All that was just at a glance.

I'd be interested in pulling the oil pan and having a peek, as well as taking a look at what the tune looks like. To me the car doesn't look like a hack job. It actually looks like it was built with the idea of going fast, somewhat reliably.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

This is at a dealership in Mass. No way I buy that thing for more than 22K....no way.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartize It
This is at a dealership in Mass. No way I buy that thing for more than 22K....no way.
Man you probaly on drug right, I give 23 grands and find me an evo MR with 18k miles and it's yours.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Probably used as a drag car. Given that the original owner slapped on a monster tach instead of putting the boost gauge in a better place, I'd say the rest of the mods are probably just as sloppy.

I'd keep looking.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTeyn
^^Reposessed? sounds like the guy spent all his money on the car instead of actually making his payments. I say just keep on searching, you'll find one eventually, might be local, might be cross country.
I Agree! Sure sign of irresponsible person. I wouldn't buy a car previously owned by an irresponsible person....but that's just me.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

A few years ago Modified Mag held a sweepstakes for an evo that looked like the RWD Evo from Tokyo Drift. IIRC it was basically stock with some sweet fast & furious mods lol. I'm wondering if this is that same car...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:04 PM

Ugly lol looks else where
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:13 PM

it looks like the turbo timer was hard wired and ripped apart.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:34 PM

besides the decals its clean and a good buy
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:25 PM

lol so whats the concensus because it seems like some people think its a good buy because I mean it only has 18k miles, which I rarely ever see. Most of the time the evo's that I see on craigslist have around 30-70k.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like bad news. The fact that the turbo timer is missing the outer housing and the exposed wiring by the turbo timer would worry me. Also the fact that it has that terrible POS Monster Tac would make me steer clear of this car. The previous owner probably beat the S out of the car and the car is being sold at a what looks like to be a 3rd party dealer. I would continue looking for a unmolested IX.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
HN7
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SixersFan64
lol so whats the concensus because it seems like some people think its a good buy because I mean it only has 18k miles, which I rarely ever see. Most of the time the evo's that I see on craigslist have around 30-70k.
Without having a Evo shop perform a complete check on the car (do a compression, boost leak test, tranny,...) there's no way to tell what kind of condition the car is in.
Also, 30k is way too much for a modded IX, even at 18k miles. An unmolested one however...

Last edited by HN7; Jul 28, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:17 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PKEVO8
A few years ago Modified Mag held a sweepstakes for an evo that looked like the RWD Evo from Tokyo Drift. IIRC it was basically stock with some sweet fast & furious mods lol. I'm wondering if this is that same car...
I thought that too, initially. The guy who won it came to the forum. IIRC, that car started out as a RS and had the black mirrors/door handles. Perhaps someone used that car as "inspiration." Wrong word, I know.

Quick Reply: Looking at a used evo 9 (evo noob)