Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intercooler help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intercooler help

Hey guys so i need a new intercooler and i have one laying around but it has no way to bolt up to the car. so i was going to make a bracket for the top to bolt up to the stock location up top. but i was wondering do i need to bolt it up anywere else? i know the stock intercooler has two other bolts one on each end tank do i need to bolt the new intercooler there or now? would i be ok with just the top bolt?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you trust just ONE bracket holding that FMIC? I've taking mine off before and it's pretty heavy. As a pre-caution, just bolt the sides too.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Do you trust just ONE bracket holding that FMIC? I've taking mine off before and it's pretty heavy. As a pre-caution, just bolt the sides too.

ok i was curious because i was looking at places to buy an intercooler and all i could see was a top bracket to mount it so i wasnt sure and i have to make all the brackets for this car so that is another reason i need to know ha
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
This. I'd have an anxiety attack every time I went driving worrying about it falling if I didn't have it bolted to all 3 locations.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running my giant/heavy Nisei FMIC on just the top bolt for 2 years now with no problems.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadmeat
This. I'd have an anxiety attack every time I went driving worrying about it falling if I didn't have it bolted to all 3 locations.
haha ok i get it ill make 3 brackets but my intercooler is bigger than stock i dont think it will bolt up to stock locations
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

You want to have all three brackets to bolt up your intercooler. Last thing you want is to have that thing come loose, or one bracket break and its gone. The intercooler has some weight to it which I am sure you are already aware of. If you want to buy a new intercooler, look into ETS. They are awesome. But stay away from just using minimal brackets. Use 3 lol.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Youll be fine with just one bracket up top. Most aftermarket ones only have the top one anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Youll be fine with just one bracket up top. Most aftermarket ones only have the top one anyway.
He would be setting himself up for failure. I havent seen any GOOD intercoolers with just ONE bracket. Most intercoolers come with three, and some come with two. One on each side, and one on top. Bare minimum one on each side.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ssg_petty_210
He would be setting himself up for failure. I havent seen any GOOD intercoolers with just ONE bracket. Most intercoolers come with three, and some come with two. One on each side, and one on top. Bare minimum one on each side.
So youre saying the nisei interocooler isnt good? Check out their website and testing then report back.

And he wouldnt be setting himself up for failure. I have the nisei on now and have been running my dsm's with one mounting point for years without failures.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm always one to over-engineer things, so I'd say you need 2 at least.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotalawd
So youre saying the nisei interocooler isnt good? Check out their website and testing then report back.

And he wouldnt be setting himself up for failure. I have the nisei on now and have been running my dsm's with one mounting point for years without failures.
I checked out Nisei's design and it looks like Nisei designed it to only have 1 bracket. If you look at the bracket itself, it's very thick. Another thing is they welded both sides so that the welds will keep the FMIC on the bracket for years to come. Majority of FMICs don't even go the 1 bracket route so you only see slim welds on the top bracket and slim welds on the sides.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur is pretty big as well, and it has two bolts. Doesnt move at all, its solid, one on top, and one on the passenger side.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol throwing my hat in the ring i have my aps intercooler it was made with a top and bottom bracket and i only have one bracket the top one as i got it for a steal deal. been that one bracket and the intercooler pipping holding that intercooler in place steady for 3 years now also no undertray for that long as well. I say if you can get two cool but one on top is fine.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Our DSM current FMIC's only use the side brackets and we haven't had any problems since we've been selling them the past 4-5 years and it's a bit larger/heavier than the Evo.

Our Evo FMIC is only held on with two as well without any problems. I'd really be concerned with what core/intercooler you're slapping on though.

Quick Reply: Intercooler help