Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII / IX's becoming more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no supra museums, and look at the values of those cars.

I dont really see the value going up, but I see them holding their value very well.

I think the evo holds a better street credit too, than dsms cause of the time they came out. They came out in 03 when the import/sport compact scene was huge. There were so many people getting into the sport compact world. Ask almost any 16 year old now. Do they know what a dsm is?? Wont get too many that do. They know what an evo is?? hell yea they do. They also know what a supra is too lol.

I dont really keep a eye on kbb too much. I watch what they are selling for on the forums. That will tell you what they are worth in the "real world".
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91GSX
Dsm owners had this same conversation over a decade ago. I know because I was one of them. Don't hold your breath. Oh and kbb for my 08 x is 29k last I checked. So far holding value better than my 04 evo did. Not even vr4s held value. 03 to 05 Evos are affordable now and are turning into the new dsm unfortunately. 9s will take a little longer and xs a little longer than that. Think of what these cars truly are. If you think that they are going to go up in value that's just crazy
You're missing some major differences, production volume, quality and demand. DSMs were produced in much greater volumes, typically had poor quality and never held their value even close to what the EVO has. I had an 88' Starion, .

Early EVOs and low production models like the RSs will be worth more than their original selling prices in another 20 years or so. The more stock, the higher value.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
There is no supra museums, and look at the values of those cars.

I dont really see the value going up, but I see them holding their value very well.

I think the evo holds a better street credit too, than dsms cause of the time they came out. They came out in 03 when the import/sport compact scene was huge. There were so many people getting into the sport compact world. Ask almost any 16 year old now. Do they know what a dsm is?? Wont get too many that do. They know what an evo is?? hell yea they do. They also know what a supra is too lol.

I dont really keep a eye on kbb too much. I watch what they are selling for on the forums. That will tell you what they are worth in the "real world".
I hope u are right bro. I agree that they may hold value better than most econo cars. To think that evos will go up in value is insane. Supra and rx7s were way more limited and exclusivethe than the evo. So if I go by the general belief of this thread... wrx and sti should go up in value as well. Why not throw cobalt ss, srt4, cooper s and whatever other econo box into the investment category as well. Come on guys get real.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:38 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dsm owners had this same conversation over a decade ago. I know because I was one of them. Don't hold your breath. Oh and kbb for my 08 x is 29k last I checked. So far holding value better than my 04 evo did. Not even vr4s held value. 03 to 05 Evos are affordable now and are turning into the new dsm unfortunately. 9s will take a little longer and xs a little longer than that. Think of what these cars truly are. If you think that they are going to go up in value that's just crazy
Wait, what? Please refresh my recollection: was a DSM a world class automobile? No? Did the car have a racing provenance? No again? Was it featured in video games, in movies, was an entire element of pop culture constructed around it? No? Was a DSM presented on globally viewed television programs as the next coming? No to this, too?

Why would a VR4 hold value? Zero street cred. Same goes for the X; no one wants the thing. Try selling it for Bluebook or even close to it. Unbelievable.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 15, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Street cred? Are you joking? The evo x is going to decrease as well as it also is an econo box. I never argued that? ?? I've owned both a viii and a x. Like I said im a big fan of both. Neither will go up in value. You are dreaming if you think they will. 8s are already cheap, 9s will be next and xs will be no different. The x guys think that if mitsu kills the evo that the x will skyrocket in value being the last evo. They are dreaming as well.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I have noticed that dealerships and private sellers are selling the evo 8/9 for a lot in the tristate area. I saw an evo 9 GSR with 60k selling for $28K?!? I bought my 9 GSR with 5K for $28k!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Street cred? Are you joking? This isntis a movie.
No, it's not a movie. The demand for the car is real and so are the reasons for it.

The evo x is going to decrease as well as it also is an econo box. I never argued that? ?? I've owned both a viii and a x. Like I said im a big fan of both. Neither will go up in value. You are dreaming if you think they will. 8s are already cheap, 9s will be next and xs will be no different.
Again, what? Please cite some clean low-mileage CT9As that "are already cheap?" Gee, can't find any? How about a X and how many would you like?

The x guys think that if mitsu kills the evo that the x will skyrocket in value being the last evo. They are dreaming as well.
You know, I spend a lot of time on the other X forum and have never seen such a thing. Most X guys (there) either wish they bought a IX or something else entirely. Almost no one thinks the car has value and why would it? The market doesn't see it as a real Evo.

Originally Posted by philevo
I have noticed that dealerships and private sellers are selling the evo 8/9 for a lot in the tristate area. I saw an evo 9 GSR with 60k selling for $28K?!? I bought my 9 GSR with 5K for $28k!
Why fight it? <grin>

Last edited by FJF; Aug 15, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DSM's are not an Evo. 3000GT was a joke. Only Evo's are recognized globally.

DSM's and 3000GT's did not have the track dominance and presence the Evo's have.

Look at the other homologation special cars; E30 M3, and early Porsche 911's for a good example.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Haha you are taking this way too personally. I know 2 guys who picked up 9thes in the last yr. One for 20kthe w 545k and one for under 20 w 70a k. There's a stock 9 locally at a dealer for 23k. I believe it has around 45k. I Havnt seen many 08 xs less than 25k in price. Im not comparing the two platforms... just sayin they will all depreciate.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
DSM's are not an Evo. 3000GT was a joke. Only Evo's are recognized globally.

DSM's and 3000GT's did not have the track dominance and presence the Evo's have.

Look at the other homologation special cars; E30 M3, and early Porsche 911's for a good example.
I meant gvr4. They were globally recognized.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Haha you are taking this way too personally. I know 2 guys who picked up 9thes in the last yr. One for 20kthe w 545k and one for under 20 w 70a k. There's a stock 9 locally at a dealer for 23k. I believe it has around 45k. I Havnt seen many 08 xs less than 25k in price. Im not comparing the two platforms... just sayin they will all depreciate.
This is about reality. We all know what these cars go for and we're all aware of the constraints within. Clearly, hyperbole with zero empirical/logical support brings one to this point. It's as if you're inventing things as you're going along. The only factors that could possibly be confirmed have been dead wrong. What's left to say?

Last edited by FJF; Aug 15, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Haha right ... ugh. Im such a story teller! Oh well... hope you guys are right and I hope every evo makes the owner a millionaire some day.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Why fight it? <grin>
I dont think its right to be trying to get 06-07 prices
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
All cars depreciate in value, the only real question is by how much.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:50 PM

I just bought a 04' SSL GSR lightly modified with 29k miles for $22k out the door (With all new breaks) It was listed for 24,999 and it was a dog fight to get them to 22k. When I left the dealer with the Evo there were 2 others waiting to see the car with cash in hand (or so they say.)

Ive had the car for almost a month and have already had a sincere offer in the car. The only other time that's happened is when I had the Lotus Elise.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII / IX's becoming more expensive?