Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII / IX's becoming more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by philevo
I dont think its right to be trying to get 06-07 prices
Sure, because dealers are not in the business to make money. It's a charity institution. Is the number of clean Evos on the rise, since the platform was discontinued 5 years ago? Is there a lack of demand for the said animal? No?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 ^^ to that !!
ive lost 1000 dollars a year in valve since ive bought it... not sure about you but that seems pretty good to me... for a car thats 6 years old and was bought used.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
All cars depreciate in value, the only real question is by how much.
Thank you! This is exactly my point. Someone else is sane! !!!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:12 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 91GSX
Thank you! This is exactly my point. Someone else is sane! !!!
Heh, if that were your point, no one would have disagreed with you. Many said the same thing. Unfortunately, you tried to present an argument buttressed by factors that only seemed to exist within the confines of one's imagination. Then, after being challenged on its factual basis, you decided to create a whole new argument, assign it to the forum population, and then laugh at our gullibility. That's not exactly an honest and forthcoming appraoch to discourse. (Nothing personal)
Evolved Member

There has been a spike in demand for used cars the last couple years, and combined with the lack of inventory, plenty of used cars are seeing a rise in value. Many times, it simply doesn't make sense. Used Corolla's and Accord's are going for more then brand new ones.

Go on any enthusiast web site (saw this on the s2000 forums as well) and you'll see the same topic - people fall into a trap thinking their cars are special and more in demand for some reason, but the reality is that MANY used cars either held or increased in value recently, and most likely it is a short lived phenomenon.

Also, I disagree with X owners being disappointed at all in their purchases. From what I've seen, most switch due to gas mileage, insurance, general running cost concerns more then anything else. The fact of the matter is the economy is in the tank and people are trying to make better financial decisions. Lower payments, better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, less debt. Used cars in the 10-20k range is the sweet spot to being cheaper then most new cars and still having great value - and right now there is an industry wide inventory shortage in this range.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 91GSX
I hope u are right bro. I agree that they may hold value better than most econo cars. To think that evos will go up in value is insane. Supra and rx7s were way more limited and exclusivethe than the evo. So if I go by the general belief of this thread... wrx and sti should go up in value as well. Why not throw cobalt ss, srt4, cooper s and whatever other econo box into the investment category as well. Come on guys get real.
How are you going to compare cobalt ss, srt-4 and cooper S to the Evo, Supra or even RX-7. Thats one dumb statement, because none of those cars u listed have a racing heritage like the Evo has had..rallying, road course, and even drag. Find me a car that is as superior as Evo is on all three? WRX? Hell no, Supra? Hell No again, RX-7? well maybe in road course and drag but not in rallying.

All I know is that if we all stick together and keep the prices high, then we all will be happy and be like the Supra guys. Rx-7 has hit the ****ter lately as it has been discovered by many that rotary is not reliable at all. Oh yeah the price of my car has gone up by $1000 since i bought it in 2009 and i got it wiht lower miles.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
You guys that doubt the EVO will appreciate need to check 60s muscle car prices. Look at the current prices, even in today's economy. Check out the production numbers (hint:many of them were produced in much greater numbers than EVOs). It's not rocket science. It's pretty simple economics. When the teenagers of today reach their mid 50s, they'll buy the cars they dreamed of in their youth. It's no different today than it's been for the last 50 years and it will be no different over the next 50 years.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely not true. But for 99.9% of all cars I would agree.
All cars depreciate in value, the only real question is by how much.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BenJ
Definitely not true. But for 99.9% of all cars I would agree.
Which cars are immune to depreciation?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:05 PM

i lost a ton of money on my srt4 when i sold it should have parted it out theres just no market for them anymore they are all ragged out
agreed though clean evo 8&9 are getting harder to come by now i paid 25k for my ww 06 mr with 20k miles a few months ago no regrets wish i woulda bought one several years ago
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Which cars are immune to depreciation?
You can't be serious. Any muscle car from the 50s or 60s. Even those that were produced in the 10,000s are selling today for 4 to 5 times their original selling price on the low side. Again, it's not rocket science. It hasn't changed much over the last 50 years and I doubt it will over the next 50 years.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
You can't be serious. Any muscle car from the 50s or 60s. Even those that were produced in the 10,000s are selling today for 4 to 5 times their original selling price on the low side. Again, it's not rocket science. It hasn't changed much over the last 50 years and I doubt it will over the next 50 years.
Oh, I see. We're talking about extremely old or limited production cars. Yes, I agree they do tend to retain their value if not increase.

In this case, the evo is a mass production car and as such, it will more than likely not increase in value. (Though if enough kids wad them up on the street, you might get lucky.)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Apples and oranges. There are plenty of examples of domestic cars which have appreciated in value in the US market. Even as recently as the Ford GT.

I can't think of a single Japanese car which has appreciated on original value in our market, besides the extremely limited edition (300 copies worldwide) 2000GT.

It's pretty rare for a Supra to sell above it's original 40k MSRP - not to mention 10 years of maintenance, insurance, and care (not to mentio inflation) that has to go into keeping a car like that 'collector condition'.

Seriously, every car forum thinks they have the next collector car. S2000 forums, NSX forums, GTR forums, Lotus forums - chances are you don't. If you do, good for you, but trying to predict it at this point is just being straight up delusional.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lling-evo.html
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Apples and oranges. There are plenty of examples of domestic cars which have appreciated in value in the US market. Even as recently as the Ford GT.

I can't think of a single Japanese car which has appreciated on original value in our market, besides the extremely limited edition (300 copies worldwide) 2000GT.

It's pretty rare for a Supra to sell above it's original 40k MSRP - not to mention 10 years of maintenance, insurance, and care (not to mentio inflation) that has to go into keeping a car like that 'collector condition'.

Seriously, every car forum thinks they have the next collector car. S2000 forums, NSX forums, GTR forums, Lotus forums - chances are you don't. If you do, good for you, but trying to predict it at this point is just being straight up delusional.
No disrespect, but you're clueless. BTW, try buying an early 240Z. You can't find a clean original car for less than twice what it sold for new.

There is a reason the Supras and RX7s aren't depreciating any more (you should compare their production volume to the EVO's). In ten more years, they'll be selling for more than their original sticker. It's about two basic concepts when looking at future car values, production numbers and how desirable they were. All those kids that loved the EVO in 03' when it came out will start collecting them when they reach the age they have the means to relive their youth. With the relatively low production numbers of both the EVo and STi, the first year examples are sure to appreciate. The EVO and STi are to today's kids what the high performance Mustangs and Camaros were in the late 60s.

I suspect that the 03's have already stopped depreciating. They have in my area at least. I've seen little to no change in prices over the last 2 years. They're not appreciating, but it's only a matter of time. If you want something that will really appreciate, find a first year RS. Very limited production and the most raw EVO sold in the US guaranty it will outperform all the other EVOs financially. How about a Buscher EVO, even better I'd bet.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII / IX's becoming more expensive?